Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
lu1508
Apprentice
Options

Hi

Same problem for me. Talk to Customer service and they say to me to connect an usb drive, but it doesn´t work at all. I will return the tv to the store, it´s ridiculous, i need 101 Mb to update apps and only 88 available.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi, I'm glad it's not just me! What model is your TV?

This raises the question - is it a random issue with Samsungs or a design flaw on certain models? I'm not going to accept having to use external media to allow for updating the built in apps, never mind installing additional apps. Thankfully I'm covered by John Lewis.

Do any seasoned Samsung TV owners have any insight on this issue?

lu1508
Apprentice
Options
Model nu7475
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks. I can't find much reference on Google to this app storage issue so I hope it's a random manufacturing fault. I'll attempt to contact Samsung support for their view, and assuming they'll be no help whatsoever I'll return the TV to John Lewis and perhaps get another model. I'll post my progress here.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I can update on this after contacting John Lewis and Samsung yesterday. Unfortunately JL wouldn't help as I was past the 30-day exchange period. They said that the defect would be covered under the manufacturer's warranty, and insisted that they connect me to Samsung. I explained that I'd already contacted Samsung last week and they'd been unable to help. Nevertheless, JL spoke to them and then handed me over.

At first Samsung said that this was not a defect and they would not exchange the TV. They said that I had to connect a USB drive which could then be used by the apps if necessary. What they were suggesting was at best a workaround, so I insisted on speaking to a supervisor (re-reading the earlier post in this thread it looks like the USB solution doesn't work anyway).

The supervisor gave me a whole different story and was much more honest. She said that this is a known issue which has appeared randomly across the whole current TV range. She admitted that the USB drive suggestion was a temporary workaround until they could resolve the issue permanently. They had no timescale as they didn't know what was causing it. She said that she would contact me within three days with an update. 

Currently I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - JL won't help, but Samsung also won't exchange the TV as they're working on a solution which is seemingly open-ended. I must say I'm disappointed with JL and wonder what the value is of their 5-year guarantee if they're just going to fob you off to the manufacturer.

I'll tackle them again in a week if there's been no resolution from Samsung, as they've essentially now admitted that there is a defect.

lu1508
Apprentice
Options

Hi tv-problem mate... lol

1 weeks ago, special Customer Service from samsung for "El Corte Ingles" customers call me.

They fix the app update problem by remote access to tv. But now the software, not apps, update opens every time i turn on the tv, even auto update is off, always search for an update and always need to close update menu, it´s tedious....

I will call to C.S. again, since Samsung s4 phone (too much time ago) i said i will never buy a Samsung device, i tried samsung again and i feel cheated again... 

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi, it's interesting that they've fixed the original problem, even if they've created another one haha.

I had a text from Samsung Support this morning, quote:

"Please be advised that we are still waiting for the new software version to be released to resolve the issue on your Samsung TV."

I may as well wait a couple of weeks and see if a firmware update solves the problem. From what you say it sounds like they're halfway there. If it drags on much longer I'll go back to JL. Given that Samsung have now acknowledged that this is a known issue it should be easier to persuade JL to exchange the TV. 

I've discussed this issue on the AV Forum in the UK (avforums.com). Someone there who has an NU8000 says that with all apps loaded the space taken is 1GB, with 2GB still free. That's much better, so as the price of that model has come down I'll probably get it if I do exchange the TV, as it has other improvements as well.

Current app storage:

Used 743MB

Available 73MB (8%)

This would imply that the system thinks the total storage is 1GB (allowing for formatting) which is ridiculous. I assume there's actually more space but it's being misread by the operating system. As 120MB are required for the built-in apps to update (as previously notified) it will obviously fail.

Regarding your issues with Samsung, I tend to expect quality control issues across the board, along with poor customer support by manufacturers. Sadly it just seems to be the business model.

Wonka70
Apprentice
Options
An engineer is coming to me and said he will replace motherboard. Yay or nay?
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Same issue here 2018 NU7400, any news?