Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 14-03-2019 04:12 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
adw_uk
Explorer
Options

I have logged this with Samsung today.

Apparently the main board on the 7400 has been superseded and mine has been authorised for replacement.

When Samsung's agents, (Teleradio Expert Services) get the case come through there are notes and on my notes there is an instruction to order a different main board with more storage.

This is the permanent fix.

*** THIS WAS PROVEN TO BE BULL$£%^ GIVEN OVER ONLINE CHAT FROM SAMSUNG***

chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Were you getting the low memory warning? i have not actually had this as i have 180mb left so not sure they will do anything for me

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@adw_uk wrote:

I have logged this with Samsung today.

Apparently the main board on the 7400 has been superseded and mine has been authorised for replacement.

When Samsung's agents, (Teleradio Expert Services) get the case come through there are notes and on my notes there is an instruction to order a different main board with more storage.

This is the permanent fix.

This is very interesting. So it looks like Samsung have installed boards that were not fit for purpose in the NU7000 range. Amazing. I bet they hope that not many people notice the apps storage issue as it will be very costly to replace thousands of boards.

Did you log the fault through Samsung Support, and which country are you in ?

ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

I have been following these posts about the NU***, as I have a NU7400. I have experienced the exact same issue as Tony47.

It's a super annoying one, and I think that Samsung are just becoming aware of said problem. I've had this TV for 5 months, and this issue started appearing two days ago. I had a technician round, and he told me that it's pointless to fix, as RAM is soldered to the motherboard, and cannot be easily cured.

I'm upgrading to the NU8000 over the weekend and having my TV returned at the same time. I've just got to wait 24 hours for the technician's report to reach Samsung.  

I'm not interested in a replacement board personally, as I truly believe that a 5 month old TV should not have to be fixed. It is a really odd and frustrating issue this. Plus Samsung Support are terrible. I know that they do their best, but the language barrier makes it very hard to convey what you want. 

A quick question, if anyone could help me please! I have been told by my retailer that I bought the TV through, that I can have a replacement TV this weekend, and that they will collect the damaged one. I am currently waiting for the technician to send his report to Samsung, and my concern is that they'll push for the Main Board to be replaced. Can they do this, or will they accept the technician's report saying that the TV is faulty, and allow my retailer to come and collect said TV?

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

There's an increasing number of people reporting this issue and I agree with every word of your post. It's an utterly ridiculous and totally avoidable issue. Some moron at Samsung must have decided to shave a couple of cents off the manufacturing cost by installing an inadequate amount of memory for the apps, and bizarrely just for the 7000 range.

My TV is a month older than yours and I would rather return it for another model as you have. Who was your retailer and did you have any issues convincing them to swap out the TV? I tackled JL last December but got nowhere. They just palmed me off to Samsung Support who were, as you say, terrible. Now that it's become a known issue I hope to have an easier phone call to JL this time.

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Thank you, it helps to know that I'm/we're not alone out here with this issue! 

My retailer is AO - Appliance Online. I only found out this week regarding the storage issue, and to be honest, I have not stopped pestering. No joke. I didn't stop lol. I must have burnt the ears off (in a nice way), the reps at AO.

I didn't take no for an answer, and I was getting concerned that it wouldn't be fixed as after 6 months of ownership, (according to the Customer Rights Act 2013), it would be me that would have to prove that the issue exists, not Samsung. I'm two weeks away from this deadline, so I'm pushing like hell. I've been told by AO that I'm 'close to having this issue resolved', and that I need to just 'wait till tomorrow morning for the report to go to Samsung'. 

AO will then call Samsung, get the report from them, and Samsung will provide an Access Code for the TV to be replaced and collected. I hope this helps outlining this for you. I wouldn't stop pestering JL at all. Be polite yet firm and you should be OK! 

adw_uk
Explorer
Options
If you have it in writing from your retailer that they are agreeing to replace and any subsequent costs are not your responsibility there's nothing to worry about.

If its a fuzzy he said, she said then expect to foot the bill.

I asked Crampton & Moore to review these posts and upgrade my TV but they said Samsung are not accepting there is any design flaw and they can do nothing until Customer Services gives them authorisation.

Since then Samsung have said they are sending out a new board and C&M have gone quiet.
0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options

UK

Did an online chat, got a case number and the agents who will fit the new board have texted to say they will be in touch.

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options
Thank you I appreciate your reply!

What annoying situation for us all to be in! AO seem to be quite good, and although I have nothing in writing, I do expect the TV to be replaced as per what the Technician said.
0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options

whereas i expect the engineer to turn up with the same board give me a blank expression and still have the issue and have to start the process all over again.

thats years in IT for you.