Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 29-04-2020 11:04 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@danmeg wrote:

I updated this morning via USB (my only option... Not enough space for an OTA update, surprisingly!)... The update freed a bit of space, but a hard reset took it away again!

(I've checked, and post hard reset I'm still on 1294.1.)

I think you're doing something wrong.

I've done this reset on two TVs, both NU7xxx range, and both have ended up somewhere between 15% and 20% after a reset. It then takes a little for it to compact/settle and install all the apps. Once this is done, you only drop a % or two.

0 Likes
James22
Apprentice
Options

Disgusting that Samsung won't allow you to delete their forced advertising apps like Prime Video Disney etc. I will never buy their TVs again, or their other products. Treat users like dirt.

Garyt83
Journeyman
Options

Wow, Did not know this has been an issue for so long.

This just started for me on NU7100 have 11% space left and it required an additional 100mb to install updates (Was 89mb after I deleted some apps but as others have mentioned this figure seems ot change randomly for no reason)

To be honest I think this is ridiculous. Space is not exactly expensive these days and with all the apps/games they put up on their app store why is there only 1gb of space for the whole TV (750mb being used by forced installed apps and os) I mean you can buy a 120gb SSD for £30 these days so why do TV's not ship with even half this space?

Now everytime I load apps I get this message, I tried reading all 102 pages but after half a dozen it seems there is no fix for this. Did anyone get any luck at all out of Samsung?

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I'm this thread's OP and I never anticipated how 'popular' it would be as I thought my issue in 2018 was an isolated event haha.

For the sake of your own sanity I wouldn't bother with Samsung support as they're a bunch of liars. If you phoned up I bet they'd pretend that this is the first time they'd heard of the issue, even after two years of it being reported.

Put pressure on your retailer as your contract is with them. Even if your warranty has expired I believe that you would still be covered by consumer law as the TV has an inherent fault which makes it not fit for purpose - it's marketed as a smart TV but if the on board apps can't be updated then it's a fail. There is no fix and there never will be. The board simply has insufficient memory to run both the operating system and the apps. A pathetic situation which was probably instigated by a moron designer trying to save money. The 2019 updated model reinstated the full 4GB of memory, just like all Samsung's other ranges.

Garyt83
Journeyman
Options

I was indeed looking at the not fit for purpose use. 

In simplist terms, why have an app store with dozens of apps if there is no space to install any of them...

I got the TV last October??? I think, and been trying to remember who I got it from as I remember at the time a few suppliers were out of stock. I will go rummage through my emails tomorrow and see if I can find it and see what luck I have!

Thank you for the quick reply.

mazzinia
Navigator
Options
Meanwhile, for the sake of documenting, my nu7192 has only 1292.1 as last firmware offered
0 Likes
danmeg
Explorer
Options

If anybody from Samsung is reading this, I've noted that by far the biggest app on the TV is the emanual. Just getting rid of it and replacing it with something smaller (the actual manual as a PDF is 1/24 the emanual in terms of file size), or giving users the option to get rid of it, would fix this issue.

I managed to update by completing the update using USB in the end.

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

@danmeg wrote:

If anybody from Samsung is reading this, I've noted that by far the biggest app on the TV is the emanual. Just getting rid of it and replacing it with something smaller (the actual manual as a PDF is 1/24 the emanual in terms of file size), or giving users the option to get rid of it, would fix this issue.

I managed to update by completing the update using USB in the end.

You CAN remove the e-manual though, details are in this thread, page 91.

danmeg
Explorer
Options

Cheers for the heads up... I'll give it a try. 

0 Likes
danmeg
Explorer
Options

@bIOforger wrote:

Guys just go into developer mode, in apps, enter 1,2,3,4,5 from the main remote, switch DEV mode on at the top, restart TV, go back into apps, goto the e-manual, select deep link test at the bottom, cancel the next screen, scroll up, then you can delete the e-manual. If delete is greyed out, then a smarthub reset is required beforehand. (Note: all your apps and settings/logins etc will be reset), then repeat the process and delete will become available.

You will also be able to delete any of the built in apps, but they get installed back automatically.

Yes i know its not a perfect resolution, but this will give you a bit more breathing space (100MB) to install one other larger app like Plex.

Just tried this and worked well. I should note that the bit when you return to the app store you need to go to settings and then to the emanual. Thanks for sharing!

0 Likes