Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 20-03-2020 04:55 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

You can use this link

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40NU7192UXXH/

and change with your specific model (aka https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/ ) , or wait for the over the air update.

0 Likes
cnmk
Apprentice
Options

As directed by Samsung support I have downloaded and installed update 1292.3 via USB for my UE50NU7400 TV. After the update was applied my internal storage remaining increased from 5% to 10%.

Overnight my internal storage remaining decreased from 10% to 3%, so I wrote back to them to ask them what this update has resolved. The response:

We would like to inform that your enquiry on having insufficient storage on the TV has been raised and being looked into with the highest priority. Our Samsung engineers are now working on a new firmware which will be released to help improve the available space on the TV.

Suggests/confirms that the update is not the fix.  Or maybe I've just started the scripted response loop again.

I also asked about the maximum internal storage of the Samsung UE50NU7400 model. The response:

There is no specific maximum internal storage for your given TV model as the available space will still depend on the apps that will be download or will be installed.

Every question I ask seems to come back unanswered or answered generically.

Why can I not delete any of the pre-installed basic set of apps like Apple TV, Chili and Rakuten? The response:

Certain pre-installed apps cannot be deleted as those have been built on the TV's interface.

Just thought I'd post here in case it helps anyone.

0 Likes
SCLee
Explorer
Options

What you need to do is factory reset the TV. First of all reset the smart hub, then reset the entire TV.

After you do this it will ask you to choose apps to add and it will add them. I then added NowTV as it doesn't automatically give you that option at the start. I now have 11% free memory with many apps added. See below. 

Netflix, Prime, Apple, YouTube, Britbox, NowTv, BBC I-Player, ITV hub, UKTV play, Google play, Rakuten, Channel 4, My 5, Chili.

Many of these are added automatically and can't be deleted. Anyway, I'm hoping I have enough space left to add Disney+ and I hope it doesn't use the remaining memory to update apps, and simply overwrites it.

Anyway that is your solution, as soon as you start deleting apps, an error occurs where there is not enough memory to re-add other apps. You have to factory reset the TV and then don't delete any apps, only add apps you definitely want at the start. 

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options
This doesn't sound like a real solution ( and i suspect 1292.3 is not considered a solution of kinds, given it's not being deployed to all series nu 7xxx )
0 Likes
SCLee
Explorer
Options

There is no real solution. There is no fix. But this works and when I got the TV, I had no problems for like 10 months until I started  adding and deleting other apps. 

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options
The latest FW update does give you a bit more space, but like i said before, when the hardware/disc is limited in size there's only so much Sammy can/will allow. The only other solution is to allow us to delete the built in apps that we don't need. However that still won't give you that much more space.

In my case, i had already deleted the e-manual and now have 70-80MB free, with only Plex additionally installed. So overall i've gained about 50MB, since the last FW update.
Casaron
Explorer
Options
I see there is a new update on the Samsung website 1294.1 for download, dated today. Will wait a while to see any feedback, before I start pis***g around with this again.
silid
Journeyman
Options

I'm still running 1292.3 and Disney+ installed today, but didn't seem to take any of my storage.

I had 12% before it installed and still have. 12% free.

Likewise - I am not inclined to install 1294.1 until I know what it is supposed to do for me.

mazzinia
Navigator
Options

And my model has still only 1292.1 being offered as latest ...

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@silid wrote:

I'm still running 1292.3 and Disney+ installed today, but didn't seem to take any of my storage.

I had 12% before it installed and still have. 12% free.

Likewise - I am not inclined to install 1294.1 until I know what it is supposed to do for me.

I was a bit worried about this and could see it happening. I have zero interest in Disney+ and personally I would like to see these apps being optional. I don't want another app forced upon me which i don't need or want. Luckily if the storage space isn't affected then fine, but it's not really the point.

0 Likes