Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 28-02-2020 02:50 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

Lets hope it fluctuates and increases filespace. I'm currently at 1%, will update it tonight when I get home

0 Likes
Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

By the looks of things the udpdate is just like all the other updates and has done totally bugger all to give you any more space. Luckily I still have not had any issues with the TV or any annoying boxes pop up telling me I am out of space and I have had it near enough a year now since I brought it in March last year. But unlike you lot I have not installed any apps and was quite contnent with the apps that were installed on it such as Netflix and Amazon Prime and I mostly use them from my Blu Ray player these days since I finally brought a new 4K player. The space on my TV fluctuates from around 1% to 9% but even with that little space it has not stopped any of the updates I've had in the past installing. I have not installed the latest update and will wait for the TV to do it itself. I don't think Samsung will ever fix the problem and the only things any of their updates do is change some of the apps and nothing more. 

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

So I'm actually now in a worse position than i was before.

Downloaded the 1292.3 update to USB, installed it to my UE65NU7670 and it recovered a small amount of space. I reset the Smart Hub and alhtough more was recovered, unfortunately i still have the insuffienct space issue, but I install ONE APP, YES ONE SINGLE APP and I now can't install Plex because it's reporting there isn't sufficient space to do so. 

I unstalled the app I installed originally, installed plex but I'm now out of space again to install Emby or anything else.

This is taking the proverbial biscuit thats for sure. This isn't a fix, this is the promise of a fix with pi.. poor development.

UE65NU7670 After installing the update and Smart Hub reset:

20200228_152259.jpg.  20200228_152228.jpg

After installing Emby and then trying to install other apps:

20200228_152618.jpg

20200228_152550.jpg

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Ehm

what happened to vengeance72 reply ?

I got it by email but I don't see it here

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

Its disappeared!. WTH? Maybe it was the same people that generated the 'fix' :winking-face:

EDIT: I'm back to writing to the CEO office anyway.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Vengeance72 wrote:

Its disappeared!. WTH? Maybe it was the same people that generated the 'fix' :winking-face:

EDIT: I'm back to writing to the CEO office anyway.

LOL. Multiple edits in a short space of time sends the board's auto-spam filter all wibbly. :winking-face: I've fished your post back out of the spam area, Vengeance72. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

And yet more dialogue. :serious-face-with-symbols-covering-mouth:

"Hi Sean,

In the absence of an update from yourselves, I’ve just picked up the 1292.3 Firmware update from your website as uploaded earlier toda, and applied this to my UE65NU7670 model in the hope that all my issues would be resolved. I haven’t as yet applied this to my other model as you will see from the below, this has generated another issue.

To be direct, this update has actually made a bad situation worse and hasn’t resolved the storage space issue AT ALL. So what has been hailed as the ‘magic bullet’ (again) has actually failed to deliver. To summarise:

• The update once applied (via USB) recovered a small amount of available space ~20Mb of 816MB to be exact.
  • I still receive the automatic update notice due to insufficient space when rebooted/restarted and entering the apps menu
  • I did a reset of the Smart Hub, restarted the TV and the available space jumped to ~42Mb (5%) of 816MB
  • I again received the automatic update notice due to insufficient space when entering the Apps menu
  • I installed a single application (Emby Media) and the space available reduced to ~9MB (1%) – I don’t need to tell you that this isn’t acceptable.
  • I was then unable to install any other applications due to the limited space – as above, I don’t need to tell you again that this isn’t acceptable.

In order to install another application, I had to first uninstall the one I had previously installed; At least under the 1290 firmware I was able to still install the only 3 personal applications that I used without this additional fault (or indeed the need for external storage – which really defeats the object of inbuilt application capability)

I don’t believe I need to express just how frustrated and annoyed I am at this when it’s professed to be a resolution to a problem which has been known about for more than 12 months.

If I can refer you to my prior mail, and highlight again that I would appreciate if you can obtain a response as to what your CEO is intending to do to address this issue, as clearly the Samsung software development/DevOps team lack the capability to be able to resolve the issue through a software update.

Please find attached screenshots, post the update and smart hub reset as further evidence.

Regards"

Rossathomeuk
Student
Options

The new 2015 consumer act says " A vendor is ultimately responsible to replace or repair a product if it is faulty or a design fault that makes it not fit for purpose. This can now even extend beyone the so called 1 year wrranty that is stated.

If you were to goto small claims cout everyone would win. However moneysaving expert website has now created a service called RESOLVER  This now puts the power back in the hands of buyers. I had a situation with Microsoft and not even the powerful Paypal would battle them but RESOLVER website did it better than the Ombadman which is what it was designed to do. 

Goody1
Pioneer
Options

I used the resolver website last year for a different dispute and it worked for me within a few hours, so I would recommend it

0 Likes
LysyMasakrator
First Poster
Options

Can't believe it takes 96 official Samsung forum pages without solution! I am one of you and have the same problem. Had to uninstall Plex to not being able to install it anymore....

0 Likes