Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 15-02-2020 04:03 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

So it looks like the 55" I have is now also starting to do the same thing as the 65". I now have two TV's in the same range both of which I can't remove/delete apps. If this isn't a design issue, I don't know what is!

Interestingly, I've not installed anything or updated anything and it now has 0% space, whereas only a few weeks ago when I first started posting on here, I had at least a few % freespace.

This is ridiculous.

UE55NU7400 Space @Anonymous User/01/20 

20200126_131312.jpg

UE55NU7400 Space @15/02/20

20200215_002738.jpg

EDIT:

I just sent this, born out of frustation mainly.

"Thanks for your response from a few weeks ago. I have waited patiently and understand things can sometimes take a matter of time to be responded to internally between departments, however there has been some further development on this front.

Another TV which I own, purchased slightly after my UE65NU7670 from the same series and the same year of production/release has also developed a storage issue for the Smart hub applications. In the space of two weeks my UE55NU7400 has now been reduced to 0% available without any app updates or installs and only a very small number (2 in fact) installed by myself.

If I’m being totally honest, coming from a very technical background this is a completely unacceptable position in this day and age, and regardless of the blatant lack of progress by Samsung in the last 12+ months on this very issue (as raised by other customers), I’m highly concerned that it simply does not have the focus it should across the organisation and at your CEO’s level. My expectation here is that storage is a cheap commodity and it is not without reason to ensure that sufficient for its purpose is designed into Samsung’s products.

As you can appreciate and mentioned in my initial mail/contact, some of the suggestions from your AV team which have been surfaced through your community forums by other customers are frankly insulting. These amount to

• Being advised that this is normal behaviour and expected
  • Suggestions to utilise external devices as a workaround (which is especially inconsiderate given customer including myself, expect technology to work as it should right out of the box)
  • Replacement motherboards being suggested and facilitated by your engineering team which only serve to delay the same issue re-occurring. Customers have already reported back that this has not resolved their issues and all that occurs is the same faulty/designed part is being replaced with another of the same type/standard.

Whether the above is due to lack of appropriate communication across your support channels, isolated approaches or visibility I’m unsure, but I have attached three files containing three subfolders for submission to your AV team (my initial contact through the online form provided limited capability to upload screenshots). They consist of

• A folder containing model/serial no. and space notifications for my UE65NU7670 (2018)
  • A folder containing model/serial no. for my UE55NU7400 (2018) highlighting a reduction from 2% space to 0% space in a matter of weeks without any updates/install of any applications
  • A folder containing a screenshot of my UE50RU7400 (2019) for comparison, and what I would expect both of the above to look like, highlighting the significant difference and clearly what can only be interpreted as a lessons learnt element taken from the prior series in adjusting this to compensate for the 2018’s series poor design.

Forgive my frustration with this, but I  would like to know what your CEO intends to do about it? as for all intent and purpose this is verging on product recall territory or at the very least a re-design and retrofit of the Smart Hub Component/circuit board. I would also be grateful for an explanation as to why customers are still in this position after such a long period of time?

I would also be happy to talk to your AV team directly if that is a possibility and also have them acknowledge the issues at hand or indeed those of other customers across your community forums.

With Regards"

mejologz
Journeyman
Options

I can feel exactly the same frustration with you @Vengeance72 . I am at the stage where motherboard was replaced but nothing was rectified.

And still hoping that one day the so called "AV team" will get back to the CEO's support team. Sometimes I wonder is the CEO is aware about this issue?

This is my expection list:

1. Retro fitting of a glorified Motherboard

2. Refund

3. Replacement to a better model.

4. Product recall

Has anyone been refunded/ the tv replaced directly by SAMSUNG and not retailer?

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@mejologz Its easy for large companies to hide behind email and lies because as a consumer you have no idea of the conversations that ocurr in the background.

Even for the more technical of us, they can spin a yarn or twist their responses to their own advantage without question.

If Samsung know about this and have done for so long, they would have actively done somethng about it. Look at how long it took them to address the Note 7 issue and the Note 9 with it's overheating issues.

0 Likes
discofizz
Explorer
Options

As the owner of a NU7400 I've continued to follow this thread for the past few months. I too have experienced the same issues as everyone else which I first reported to Samsung support about a year ago. I was offered a motherboard replacement but refused as I don't want to take a day off work for something that has proven to be ineffectual. 

The TV was purchased from John Lewis and after a bit of wrangling with them they agreed to refund me £200 as an "act of goodwill" seeing as the TV does still technically work. 

I still have the TV and it still is unable to update with 0% free memory. It's been relegated to the spare room and I've since bought a different model from a different manufacturer which is quite frankly an infinitely superior TV in almost every respect. 

Keep up the fight with Samsung though. They really should not be allowed to get away with this. 

Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@discofizz wrote:

As the owner of a NU7400 I've continued to follow this thread for the past few months. I too have experienced the same issues as everyone else which I first reported to Samsung support about a year ago. I was offered a motherboard replacement but refused as I don't want to take a day off work for something that has proven to be ineffectual. 

The TV was purchased from John Lewis and after a bit of wrangling with them they agreed to refund me £200 as an "act of goodwill" seeing as the TV does still technically work. 

I still have the TV and it still is unable to update with 0% free memory. It's been relegated to the spare room and I've since bought a different model from a different manufacturer which is quite frankly an infinitely superior TV in almost every respect. 

Keep up the fight with Samsung though. They really should not be allowed to get away with this. 

This is exactly what they want, for people to give up get another TV and for it to go so far along the line it almost becomes pointless because of the age of the TV (I suppose there is a risk element they go elsewhere, but large corporations don't care about a few noisy customers)

0 Likes
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

I might have some good news!!!

Samsung assigned a local samsung authorised engineer to fit a nother new motherboard (I already have had a new one replaced). The engineer says that there is nothing he can do. He said the only thing he can do is install a new motherboard and seeing as I already have one, he does not think this will fix the issue as the new motherboard will have the same issue. The engineer told me to go back to Samsung to resolve it as this is an issue with the TV itself.

I've hounded Samsung online chat and today it seems that I may have ended up speaking to a UK tech support guy as he seemed to be much more helpful. So here is the good news...

As of the moment, my firmware version is 1290.4. Samsung will be moving to firmware version 1292.3 shortly. This version should resolve the insufficient memory as this is a dedicated fix version that was created specifically to fix it. As of yet, they don't have information as when it's going to be released but ive been told to keep an eye out for it. Samsung said it will install the new firmware once it's available, even though the TV has 0% memory left. and if there are any issues, to contact them and they will help assist with its installation.

So fingers crossed..... :hand-with-index-and-middle-fingers-crossed: 

mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Hello,

I'm subscribed to a site where they post when a new os is relased for our model range, and they normally mention the download page and direct links for a specific part number.

Well, just released ... 1292.1

https://www.samsung.com/it/support/model/UE40NU7190UXZT/

I don't know if this is equivalent to the 1292.3 mentioned in the previous post, but is worth checking on the uk site using the part number of the tvs being owned ( to see what's offered ).

As usual, OTA follows the onsite manual install option, after a few weeks

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Update,

the guy that on the other site posted about the update, installed it ( after I wrote about the storage fix) and did a reset from the service menu, to play safer.

now his NU tv shows 600/700 mb free

If so I would call this an huge step in the right direction ( but not "the" fix, since I think he should have more than 1.3gb free to be on par with a 2017 or 2019 model ).

Now we have to wait to see what happens to us all here

Badaboing
Explorer
Options
If this update does free up 600/700 MB then that will be brilliant news and I'd consider that a fix, albeit a long overdue one. I personally managed to free up 100 MB by deleting the e-manual but even without installing any additional apps since then, the free space has been slowly decreasing and I'll be back in the same situation again eventually. Let's wait and see, fingers crossed.
0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Heard it all before from Sammy on the firmware update being kinda a "fix", i'll believe it when i see it :winking-face: