Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 26-01-2020 12:08 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

Thing is, would you want to admit that every TV sold in 2018/2019 in the NU7xxx range had a problem. It does them no harm and it's us that suffer. I mean it's not like the Note 9 debacle, or indeed as a comparison the Indesit (Tumble Dryers going on fire) situation. There isn't anything life threatening in someones TV storage not being as much as it should be.

You also have the people element and I imagine that people will also fall into different categories.

a) Those that don't care

b) Those that don't even know or don't use the SmartHub enough to warrant it being an issue

c) Those that reset their TV to start all over again after raising an issue

d) Those that have a hardware replacement after raising an issue  

e) Those that persist like us that it's a manufacturing issue (the minority)

f) Everyone else

LiquidZero
First Poster
Options

I have a UN65NU7100 . Wonderful TV. I noticed a storage limitation a few months ago, but didn't read too much into it until this evening. 63 MB of free storage, and a bunch of apps that I cannot uninstall, never installed by me loaded on there, and no firmware updates since October of last year; which have done nothing to resolving the issue described in this thread. I thought about doing a factory reset, and I still may. Though the fact that so many people report that they only have just over 100 MB of free storage after a reset when the device clearly has a gig of storage blows my mind. I understand partitioned space is reserved for the interface, but almost 90% of the total capacity? That seems odd. HULU announced last year a change that would limit some users of older smart TV's from being able to upgrade. Considering apps of today are getting more and more storage hungry, I don't foresee this TV lasting very long for Smart Apps. Maybe our solution is to use a smart device through HDMI like Chromecast, Roku, or Apple TV. Heavily relying on a minority of consumers to raise concerns to Samsung has clearly done nothing. My portal is over a year and a half old and is beyond a warranty exchange and support. This is ridiculous, yes. But our wallets speak louder than these words. This TV has a superior quality in picture to it's class competitors in both price and size. But these oversights in functionality that are overlooked during production and aren't addressed in a timely manner will never be fixed. Perhaps it's time to buy a Bravia. Those may have a compatible image quality.. But without these software issues.....

0 Likes
TonyBC
Journeyman
Options

Hi Just purchased Samsung Qled Q60 and am having the same problem from the first time I clicked on Apps.

Have reset the TV 5 times now still the same. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Wait a bit. This open a totally different issue...

user bedende posted this link at page 81 of this thread

https://labs.f-secure.com/blog/samsung-q60r-smart-tv-opening-up-the-samsung-q60-series-smart-tv/

and is the link I used to mention the 8Gb of emmc storage.

If now we have a Q60 user having our own problem, means :

1) this is not limited to out lower end ( 7xx0 ) (compared to a Q series)

2) the tested unit in that link has a very clear amount of storage

3) the user reporting the issue has instead our issue

... this is getting more complicate

Goody1
Pioneer
Options

@TonyBC wrote:

Hi Just purchased Samsung Qled Q60 and am having the same problem from the first time I clicked on Apps.

I hope that resolves itself, as I have a Qled Q60, but, mine is showing 2.2GB available

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@TonyBC wrote:

Wow, this is appalling. I thought with the 2019 RU 7 series operating normally with 2GB of free space the issue was limited to 2018 NU 7 TVs. I've not seen it reported in any Q series TV before today. How much free space is reported in your smart hub?

0 Likes
bramely
Explorer
Options

I don't know what to do like everyone else here. I have the UE50NU7470 which I bought from pc world in 08-2018. 

In the last 3 months I have had to do factory reset twice due to lack of memory. I do not have any additional apps installed and I only use BBC iPlayer and Netflex. 

What a stupid design would not allow you to delete nor move to usb memory preinstalled apps. 

I asssume no solution yet? time to send an email to the CEO 

IMG_20200126_104658.jpgIMG_20200126_104743.jpg

Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

@bramely wrote:

I don't know what to do like everyone else here. I have the UE50NU7470 which I bought from pc world in 08-2018. 

In the last 3 months I have had to do factory reset twice due to lack of memory. I do not have any additional apps installed and I only use BBC iPlayer and Netflex. 

What a stupid design would not allow you to delete nor move to usb memory preinstalled apps. 

I asssume no solution yet? time to send an email to the CEO 

I was hesitant when I first came across this to do a reset in the event that I can't re-install apps, but I've literally just factory reset my NU7670 TV and it gives the exact same issue. No personally installed apps at all, yet it says that I need to clear 150Mb of space to install updates. How can I clear space from something I have no access to and have a tonne of apps I dont' want or need installed by force.

It did allow me to re-install apps, but i only have 2% free, so basically from a complete reset I have 24.38MB (whoohoo!)

20200126_131312.jpg20200126_131339.jpg

Weirdly, I was able to re-install one of the apps and it just launched with my credentials/config intact so clearly a 'reset' isn't a real reset as it's leaving residual files.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/francis-chun-54866072/?originalSubdomain=uk

0 Likes
bramely
Explorer
Options
what you did is a temp fix to the issue. We should be able to remove unwanted apps and not having to reset the TV. Cheers for the link -- will send him an email and probably trading standards need to be notified of this *****.
0 Likes
bramely
Explorer
Options

I just sent the email below to the CEO on *******  I hope we will get some results :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Dear Mr Chun,

In 08/2018 I bought Samsung UE50NU7470 TV from PC world. I did not think nor research for anything other than Samsung as I thought Samsung is the best in all electronics. 

For the last 3 months, the TV keeps coming up with notifications that memory is full. I look in the TV apps, there are only pre-installed apps that cannot be deleted nor moved to the USB storage. I have done factory reset on my TV twice with the same issue coming back. 

I thought I might be able to search the issue and find a solution. With one google hit, I came across a very long thread of 85 pages on your community forum about the same issue. Yet your frustrated customers to receive a fix or satisfactory response from your company. Here is a link to the thread https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Apps-storage-space-issue/td-p/808085/page/85

I believe Samsung has poorly designed the TV that it would not allow customers to either; 

1-      Delete unwanted pre-installed apps or 

2-      Move them to USB memory or

3-      The TV should have had a bigger memory. 

I assume Samsung would not response to customers in the forum so no admission of fault in the design. 

I would like Samsung to address this issue immediately before the matter escalates any further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,