Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 19-01-2020 11:41 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Grandapa_Arf
Explorer
Options

I'll check when I get home.

...But yesterday when I switched on the TV, I had a new upgrade, with a new Privacy app and the TV had reset all its settings and customisations. 

No additional storage... still stuck on 4%-6% (it does fluctuate sometimes)

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

I got the new privacy app added 8 or 10 days ago, but without changing anything else ( and in fact that pushed down the free space to around 40/50mb if I remember right ).

I was already on 1290 since long

0 Likes
bendede
Explorer
Options

Yeah I sent an email earlier to the author of the blog post (by guessing its mail @f-secure.com), to know if he/she had met some additionnal informations that could help us to disable theses bloatware.

No reponse yet and maybe never, but @mazzinia  you can maybe try to contact more people of the "Credits" part, you're maybe a better interlocutor.

0 Likes
dkbgh
First Poster
Options

Hello, is there a chance to send me the email confirming a manufacturing issue, please.

Thanks

0 Likes
Goody1
Pioneer
Options

Good news for me on Thursday, as Richer Sounds finally agreed to me having either a replacement with a UE43RU7400 or a swap to another model with me paying any upgrade cost.

They did say that

"Samsung have confirmed the smart functions have a reserve of memory on the TV to ensure they work as they should.  In the absence of any more details about this I would be happy now to exchange your TV for a Samsung UE43RU7400 if you like"

I picked up a new tv with 6 year warranty on Friday afternoon

I had an email from Samsung CEO office that confirmed:

"I have spoken with our AV team who have given assurance that they are sending hardware to our test lab presently in order to continue their investigation. Please be assured that your concerns are being taken seriously and I will continue to update as and when further details are received."

I will keep the updates coming to see if it will help anyone else out.

If anyone would like a copy of my email sent to the CEO's office , send me a PM

Good luck!

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Goody1 wrote:

Good news for me on Thursday, as Richer Sounds finally agreed to me having either a replacement with a UE43RU7400 or a swap to another model with me paying any upgrade cost.

They did say that

"Samsung have confirmed the smart functions have a reserve of memory on the TV to ensure they work as they should.  In the absence of any more details about this I would be happy now to exchange your TV for a Samsung UE43RU7400 if you like"

I picked up a new tv with 6 year warranty on Friday afternoon

I had an email from Samsung CEO office that confirmed:

"I have spoken with our AV team who have given assurance that they are sending hardware to our test lab presently in order to continue their investigation. Please be assured that your concerns are being taken seriously and I will continue to update as and when further details are received."

I will keep the updates coming to see if it will help anyone else out.

If anyone would like a copy of my email sent to the CEO's office , send me a PM

Good luck!

Fantastic result! Did you use @GrahamW 's email from the Samsung CEO's office as leverage (the one where they admit there's an issue)? 

From that quote above, Samsung are clearly lying to Richer Sounds. The TV does not 'work as it should', otherwise the issue wouldn't exist.

Also your email from the CEO's office - they've been pretending to have an 'investigation' for over 18 months :face-with-rolling-eyes:

They must know full well what the issue is, and company policy is to deny and lie until it goes away.

Goody1
Pioneer
Options

I combined my own email with Grahams email

It will be interesting to see what Samsung will come up with as a solution.

It is clear that no one is admitting that the tv has a fault apart from the users of the tv's

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

[DELETED]

0 Likes
Vengeance72
Pioneer
Options

So, I just found this thread today after having this same issue since Christmas on my 65" NU7670 and I tried to remove some apps today to fix it. I can't be 100%, but it appears to only happened to me after the last update. I did reset the SmartHub/TV before and it changed nothing which is why i left it until now to deal with, and 'switching on and off at the wall' doesn't change anything (and gives an install error) as per one of the other suggestions in this thread.

Low and behold, the only two/three apps (I have installed) which I can remove only give me something like 15Mb of space to be freed up, but the 'update' that appears to be pushed requires 261Mb, so consequently, I can't install it at all. 

65" NU7670:

20200121_155532.jpg20200121_160022.jpg20200121_155655.jpg

There is also NO OPTION to move some of these apps to USB stick, and I've had one installed for some time for recordings, and I can't remove any of the inbuilt apps, some of which i don't want, need and I feel are 'forced' on me without my consent. I mean seriously, I don't also need a 100Mb eManual.  I'm pretty peeved at this (bought the TV from Currys on finance in August 2018, and it's only just really become an issue as it keeps prompting me to delete apps to do the update)

What's more infuriating is that I'm a long time, and quite a big Samsung advocate, My partners, phone and watch are samsung, most of my audio equipment is Samsung and I have an 55" NU7400 in another room and an 50" RU7400, both purchased from Crompton & Moore (luckily they don't exhibit this issue yet, but one was purchased several months later and the RU model just before Chirstmas 2019)

NU7400 (for comparison) - Same Apps, with one minor exception on the 7670.

20200121_161414.jpg

All the TV's are on 1290.4 BT-S firmware and there isn't any update beyond this, so what is the 261MB? (Additional forced apps?)  but interestingly if you want to download the firmware directly from Samsung to install from USB it's 1390Mb in size

Frustrating doesn't quite cover this.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Unfortunately your NU7400 will have the same problem as you only have 46MB left.

The RU7400 should be fine as the free space will be around 2GB I think?

This issue only affects models in the NU7*** range released in 2018. The successor range RU7*** is fine.

0 Likes