Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 09-11-2019 07:24 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
VKS3385
Journeyman
Options
I will keep posted here. I think like Note 7 battery its a pure manufacturing defect in all NU 7 series. Samsung is just making money, as they thinking there won't be any complaints regarding this issue, as there r very few ppl like me who watch everything online. Ppl just buy the tv and connect their STBs or other devices n use them with their tv. But ppl like me just watch everything online. So i caught it. I did a complete research b4 raising a complaint to samsung. And being very careful recording every call with their executive n engineers. So i hve enough proofs to pull up samsung in consumer court if i needed to
0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Bruh, if you think you can take sammy on in court, even if it went that far, which is highly unlikely and even if you're armed to the teeth with  evidence you are deluded bud.

0 Likes
VKS3385
Journeyman
Options

Don't know about other countries, but in india ppl are very judgemental on such things. One viral social media post or video can ruin a reputed company in seconds. Indians have done such in lst few years to, where some product sales were drastically falls to floor within a few days after a viral post. N indian consumer court take very strict actions on such things. If u r not giving wht u are saying thats violation in terms of quality. 

Anyways received a call from samsung nodal officer and she asked me some days to investigate the matter on her level and assured me to provide the best solution they can.

0 Likes
VKS3385
Journeyman
Options

Screenshot_2019-11-07-19-44-57-879_com.google.android.gm.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-00-30-216_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-00-34-433_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-00-38-900_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-00-43-698_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-03-38-442_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-03-42-523_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-07-28-729_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-07-33-549_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-10-09-285_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2019-11-07-20-10-12-402_com.android.chrome.jpg

So u cna see in attached piks. That was taken frm chat with samsung care. They are telling NU7090 hve 4GB storage. But their engineers saying it hve 4GB but u cant see it anywhere. U will get only 165MB to use. Thats a ridiculous samsung reply.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Samsung support have been saying this for over a year now. They'll either deny there's an issue or lie about the storage. They also pretend that every time this issue is reported it's the first time they've ever heard of it, and then pretend that it has to be escalated etc. They hope you'll just give up and go away.

It could be that not every model in the NU7*** range has insufficient storage and the issue is down to batches of bad chips, but it's certainly occurred across the world and in all NU7*** models. Very frustrating.

The 2019 RU7*** range definitely has 4GB installed and you can see it reported in the settings, whereas the NU range only reports 1GB in total. There are no reported issues with the RU range.

Rather than tackle Samsung directly I suggest you involve your retailer as the contractual arrangement is with them (I assume that's the case in India). They can help put pressure on Samsung. That's how all of us on this forum who have had a successful resolution did it. 

VKS3385
Journeyman
Options
I hve also escalated the issue to dealer. He is also trying to help. I m not going to give up n get samsung away with this. If they said its 4GB in tv storage, they either have to show me where is it gone or replace tv with another model.
VKS3385
Journeyman
Options
https://twitter.com/Vikasse80372345/status/1193053573937917957?s=19

I have escalated the issue on twitter for the benefit of all samsung users. Plz retweet and add ur precious comments on this tweet. So samsung would take it on priority basis and resolve the issue in its NU7 series for once and all.
Anita_Merlin
Explorer
Options

I have just been told by Samsung Technical support there is no fault, just disregard the error message, and use flash drive. This is a result of several remote attempts by Samsung to fix the memory issue on my TV, and numerous phone calls. I have since discovered that Guardian newspaper has published an article on this very issue back in 2017. Here is the link. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/24/samsung-tv-buyers-furious-after-software-update-l...

I think we should get together and approach Guardian, since it seems Samsung is hoping we will all quietly dissapear. If you are interested in contributing your name please get in touch. astramerlin64@gmail.com

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Anita_Merlin wrote:

I have just been told by Samsung Technical support there is no fault, just disregard the error message, and use flash drive. This is a result of several remote attempts by Samsung to fix the memory issue on my TV, and numerous phone calls. I have since discovered that Guardian newspaper has published an article on this very issue back in 2017. Here is the link. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/24/samsung-tv-buyers-furious-after-software-update-l...

I think we should get together and approach Guardian, since it seems Samsung is hoping we will all quietly dissapear. If you are interested in contributing your name please get in touch. astramerlin64@gmail.com

Hi, I don't think the issue described in the Guardian article is the same one. They're referring to TVs that won't switch on after a firmware update. It might be related, who knows. 

I see that Samsung are still trying the 'use a flash drive' solution. This doesn't work as the built-in apps need to be on the main drive and can only update on the main drive.

McSherlock
First Poster
Options

Yes I now have the issues to, I have the 55inc 4k 2018 model got back in march from John Lewis, been reading the thread for months. I now have the issues, all apps are the default and uninstall-able apps, and they need 100+megs to update but there is 0.00megs free. I have nothing installed extra!

I will have to reboot the tv and wipe all the stuff to get them all uptodate, not sure I can be bothred to presue this as it all works apart from install new apps. The main ones are all on there and working at the moment netflix, apple, amazon, bbc.

guess I can put a stick in the back and install new apps.

0 Likes