Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 21-07-2019 11:19 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@mazzinia wrote:

Question to the group. I should wait for the TV to actually develop the issue, before starting the gig with the retailer, right?

Yes, but you shouldn't have long to wait. It usually manifests itself around a month after purchase, although some got the warning message straight out of the box.

JamieKS
Explorer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@mazzinia wrote:

Question to the group. I should wait for the TV to actually develop the issue, before starting the gig with the retailer, right?

Yes, but you shouldn't have long to wait. It usually manifests itself around a month after purchase, although some got the warning message straight out of the box.

Mine had the issue but I’ve not had the problem for months now, apps are updating. Not sure why it’s gone away but I’ve had to stop pushing Curry’s as there is no issue to show them other than it shows very little free space.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@JamieKS wrote:

Mine had the issue but I’ve not had the problem for months now, apps are updating. Not sure why it’s gone away but I’ve had to stop pushing Curry’s as there is no issue to show them other than it shows very little free space.

That's interesting. Do you still get the storage warning message but the apps update anyway, or is there no message? How many additional apps do you have?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@mazzinia wrote:

The issue is consumer law. It say's that within the first 30 days if it deveoples a fault you have a choice. Replacement, repair, or full refund. After 30 days, and up to 6 months, you must allow one attempt at repair as long as the retailer accepts that it is a fault. That has been the problem that the retailers would accept it was fault. After 6 months you have to show the fault was there from new. 

So if you get the issue within the first 30 days it's basically a no quibble refund. 

Paul

mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Well, I guess i'll keep my eyes open. It's now at the 5th week of life... 1260.8 as os version.

To be honest is quite annoying (finding out after purchase), because it's quite nice as picture and colors (once the values are set), and it's one of the few lines with 40" ( space limits in the place is being used... )

0 Likes
JamieKS
Explorer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

@JamieKS wrote:

That's interesting. Do you still get the storage warning message but the apps update anyway, or is there no message? How many additional apps do you have?

No, no warning message, apps are updating so it’s as if there is no issue any more. I have 6% free space maybe 5 or 6 extra apps installed.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Perhaps Samsung have found a way to work around the lack of space when updating. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if it would still work if the drive was 100% full.

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Perhaps Samsung have found a way to work around the lack of space when updating. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if it would still work if the drive was 100% full.

In this case would be a good development, even if they should give a crappy 4gb usb pendrive to the clients that actually realize that the storage space is not what should have been. Majority will never ask, but the knowledgeable ones would... it would be a good move as public relations/retention , and cheap

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Tony, mines always updated all of the apps, even when the update failure message pops up, thats always been the case for me, you can check that by looking at the app version versus the latest available for each app. However i think since the latest firmware update they have found a way to manage the space more effectively, as my freespace has increased a few times on the application updates. It all depends on how many additional apps you have installed obviously.

Hoot37
Apprentice
Options

Great news. I've won the battle with Crampton and Moore who out of a "good will gesture" have replaced my TV with the new 2019 model. If anyone else is struggling with them then let me know.