Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 15-07-2019 05:38 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@zarf2007 wrote:

thanks, tried paypal facebook, they just close you down when you post a public message insisting that they deal with it through PM due to privacy reasons. when you take it to PM and give case details they just reiterate that it was closed for the reason that it was repaired. I have tried at least 6 different people there and they all parrot the same *****. I am done with them as cannot move forward.

tbh for citizens advice I find them utterly useless, clueless in the last two things I brought to them. My hope now is with JL or small claims court.

Yep looks like they are not moving unless forced. The problem is you bought from JL but paid with paypal. Are Paypal acting as a credit card company, or finance, and if I can ask why did you pay via Paypal?

Do paypal have an appeal process?

The problem I found when using Paypal and Amazon was the same, because they are classed aa a third party payer, you loose the section 75 rights. 

I think a lesson for everyone, never buy via paypal, stick to your credit card. Also when you buy with credit card, you can always speak to someone, but not with paypal.

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Weird question maybe but... what's preventing Samsung to have the same Tizen interface on the Nu vs the newer models ?

It shouldn't be that complicate to add the ram/cache/etc cleanup options, or to allow to do like a normal android box ( that if plugged a pendrive/sd , can merge it to expand actually the storage in a transparent and permanent way )

It should not be rocket science.....

(NU7192 owner since 1 month, retailer is a supermarket chain here in Italy... I do foretell I will have issues to discuss it with them, if/when the problem starts to show up )

0 Likes
Andrei841
Apprentice
Options

After about 2 months of trying everything, my local Curry's in Swindon agreed to change my Samsung tv to another one of my likings. But I wouldn't get my hopes up for all of Currys as I think this was possible only thanks to a member of the management team  (Dan) in Swindon who actually listened to me and really tried to help.

Although he was the millionth person I explained the whole memory issue to he actually followed my problem and got Samsung to exchange the tv. So you can imagine my surprise when I have received a call from Currys Swindon three weeks after I last talked to them and was told that I can bring the tv and exchange it for what I want. 

In the good tradition of this thread, I would also like to thank Tony47 for starting this topic, it was really, really helpful.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Andrei841 wrote:

After about 2 months of trying everything, my local Curry's in Swindon agreed to change my Samsung tv to another one of my likings. But I wouldn't get my hopes up for all of Currys as I think this was possible only thanks to a member of the management team  (Dan) in Swindon who actually listened to me and really tried to help.

Although he was the millionth person I explained the whole memory issue to he actually followed my problem and got Samsung to exchange the tv. So you can imagine my surprise when I have received a call from Currys Swindon three weeks after I last talked to them and was told that I can bring the tv and exchange it for what I want. 

In the good tradition of this thread, I would also like to thank Tony47 for starting this topic, it was really, really helpful.

Hi Andrei, great to hear your news! It just shows the power a retailer has over Samsung, if only they could be bothered to listen to the customer and fulfil their obligations under consumer law. Most of them don't. It was the same for me with John Lewis. I had to be persistent to get anywhere and it became almost like a second job for a few months. 

You're welcome regarding the thread and I'm glad it's helped people. When I started it I anticipated a few replies at most, and not the avalanche of responses from far and wide! What model of TV will you go for now?

0 Likes
Andrei841
Apprentice
Options

Hi Tony,

I paid a difference of about 200 pounds and went for the 55'' Sony Bravia KDXG8096BU 4K ULTRA HD etc, etc. It looks ok so far but it's still a bit early too tell if it's better. My first impressions are mixed: I like the image quality and the way the tv itself looks, but I liked the user interface more on the Samsung. The Sony seems a bit quicker when going thru the menu but it might just be my impression. It handles gaming on a ps4 pro better than the Samsung as it should be the case, both being made by Sony. The only thing I really dislike is the remote control. It feels like an 80's remote, really big, looks like a brick and with really soft buttons so half of the time you don't know if you pressed a button or not. But the good thing is it has around 8gb of space available for downloads and upgrades :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I agree about the Samsung UI being good. I got an LG in the end - the UI is similar but I think Samsung beats it.

I thought about Sony but was put off by the Android OS. I didn't know about the remote being bad. Still, at least you've got a good picture and masses of space for updates and apps!

0 Likes
zarf2007
Journeyman
Options

Just a quick update, JL caved and agreed to refund due to the difficulty i’d Had with the repair etc but still didn’t admit there was a problem. This only happened after it was escalated to their head of customer service. So all good now and will be avoiding Samsung for tv’s like the plague.

btw, my only reason for using PayPal is to give some level of protection for debit card payments, I see now how useless they are and will avoid them going forward.

bought a Panasonic GX800 40” tv and loving the picture quality and the fact that it’s the only one that supports HDR/HDR+/Dolby Vision and HLG! Was more expensive at £699;however.

thanks again tony for the thread.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type: Great stuff! Someone else on here got a Panasonic as he wanted support for HDR+, and he's very pleased with it.

0 Likes
Andrei841
Apprentice
Options

Android OS is not that bad if you give it a chance. It has it's good and it's bad but overall is a decent os for the tv. But as you said the main problem with the storage is now solved so, hopefully, we'll get to enjoy our new tv sets for a long time problem-free. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone who is still trying to get a replacement!

mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Question to the group.

I should wait for the TV to actually develop the issue, before starting the gig with the retailer, right ?

0 Likes