Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-06-2019 08:16 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Thing is you should'nt have to jump through hoops to get it to work.

I think not fit for purpose, under the Oct 2015 European Consumer Law.

I would ask for a TV that does not work as a smsrt TV.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Indeed, and going into developer and engineering menus will most likely void the warranty.

In other news I've just had a notification from my SmartThings app that my Samsung NU7500 (the one I returned to JL) has been removed from my account and registered by another user. I hope they know what they've let themselves in for!

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

NEW FIRMWARE ALERT!

Version 1260.8 is now available on the Samsung Support site:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE43NU7400UXXU/

I just downloaded and installed it from USB on my UE43NU7400. Before installation I had 2.4Mb free and afterwards I had 59.4Mb free! I had a rummage around to see if anything obvious had been deleted but it doesn't seem like it. I've checked the e-manual is still there (it is) and nothing else seems to have changed.

However, after a couple of minutes of just looking around and opening and closing a few apps (but not installing any), the free space has plummeted to 26.82Mb free!!   

Another pointless update by the look of it... It just seems to have flushed a few caches which are now quickly filling up again. 

crow610
Navigator
Options
can you at least choose where to install new apps (i.e. usb external) with this new firmware update?
0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

Nope. You only get the option to install to an external drive when there's not enough internal storage for the app you want to download, so you have to fill up the TVs storage first... which will presumably at some point trigger the 'can't update' error message again. 

I've filled up my internal storage with a few apps, and put some on a USB stick. I have just over 1Mb free on the TV so I'll see what happens in the next few days. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I think everyone with this problem should stop trying to resolve it and hope Samsung will post a fix, because going in their history you may wait a long time. 

It is clear this a big issue because people are getting replacements or refunds. 

You have the law on your side, the 2015 Europe consumer law. Just google the which site for these regs. It is under not fit for purpose, as it cannot function as a smart TV. 

If everyone sent them back Samsung might stop selling ***** TV's. 

Paul

Banjoman
Explorer
Options

Yes I agree - I've returned my NU7400 to Amazon and bought the RU7400 instead. Can confirm it's got 3GB free memory.

It's not perfect though - it seems subtly less responsive and it will not connect to my 5GHz wifi which the NU7400 definitely did (maybe these 2 points are connected) - certainly the downgrade in internet speed affects visual performance.

If any of the other people who upgraded read this, can you use a 5GHz wifi connection if you've tried? Am wondering if it's just a weak signal, or whether this model is missing the ability to connect. Samsung tell me it has the capability, but I'm slightly low on trust for their customer services after reading this thread!

0 Likes
chumly
Journeyman
Options

@Banjoman  I've a RU7400. Will check the 5ghz later. 

0 Likes
teeveestuff
Pioneer
Options

Could anyone with a 43” RU7400 please confirm that it has a VA panel? If I manage to get my NU7400 swapped for one I don’t want an IPS.

I’m toying with the idea of trying for a deal on the 43” Q60R instead. Anyone successfully upgraded to that model? 

0 Likes
Liammmh
Journeyman
Options

Has anyone been able to return to retailer after 30 days both Samsung and Crampon &Moore are telling me it's only possible within 30 days

0 Likes