Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 08-06-2019 04:43 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

@Banjoman 

0 Likes
Banjoman
Explorer
Options
Hmmm I'm sorry about that. Like I said it stopped working for me so I have no idea why it did the first time.

I've just tried again - oddly it's working again now for me (I notice I'm signed into my Samsung account now, not sure if that makes a difference) and I can delete hayu, apple etc again - not that there is any point. Does it definitely show "apps (develop mode)" at the top when you go through it?

Otherwise I don't know what to suggest, unless power cycling and trying it again might help (the only other thing I've effectively done since the first time...)
0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

No need to apologise, its not a problem, i only have plex installed, so updates work for me, even though i only have 16MB free atm.

Yea it was in dev mode, mine is a nu7400. I cant delete apple or hayu either. Yea did the power cycle a couple of times.

0 Likes
Zoomer
First Poster
Options

Hello All,

Many thanks for all the discussion. On my NU7400 series all of 800 MB space is consumed I can neither install new apps and nor update. 

This is really stupid of Samsung to compromise on storage when they can sell this space to content providers with locked in Apps.

I purchased the TV this Jan through Amazon. Is there a resolution or should you recommend a replacement.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Think replacement

Paul

PFC_Hudson
Pioneer
Options

Following that method I was also able to enter Developer Mode and delete apps that were previously greyed out 

Developer Mode pic 1 (click to open)

Developer Mode pic 2 (click to open)

Four more weeks then out...
0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options

My TV has now been replaced.

My solicitor asked how I paid and as I used the 12 months interest-free credit option through C&M's preferred lender, Hitachi Finance, I was able to raise a complaint with them and they then discussed with the retailer and quite quickly I was offered what I had asked for all along, the 2019 model (with the 4GB storage) and to pay the difference of £150.

So the moral of my story is be persistent, in the end C&M did what I asked and replaced the TV as they could not get the old one to function correctly.

What has changed in the 2019 TV's Settings is the addition of the, 'TV Device Manager' where you select the App List and can clear the caches of all individual Apps such as Netflix to optimise space.

There is 4GB internal storage and 1.56GB is used by Tizen and the standard suite of apps so Samsung have now solved the problem.

Good luck to everyone else with their battles.

IMG_0217.JPGIMG_0218.JPG

crow610
Navigator
Options

hi , i've heard someone was able to free up a lot of space by deleting the space occupied by the demo store mode.

any ideas?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I don't think that option has been discussed on this thread but it sounds interesting if it's possible.

@adw_uk I'm pleased you finally got a resolution, and thanks for the info on the RU7400. It's a pity that Samsung haven't fixed the issue on the NU range, but that doesn't look remotely likely.

From this and other forums it appears that most of us are getting replacements or refunds after overcoming retailer resistance, so as you say, be persistent. I'm disappointed to hear on the AV Forum that John Lewis are being very unhelpful at the moment. Hopefully they'll relent like they did with me. I wouldn't buy electronic goods from them again though as their customer service has proved to be rubbish.

0 Likes
crow610
Navigator
Options

yes, probably only samsung assistance is able to do it. Removing e-manual in developer mode and freeing up the demo store mode would be something like 250Mb. If a firmware update would let us choose where to install new apps (i.e. on a usb external memory) i guess the problem would be fixed even for all that cannot be refunded anymore.

0 Likes