Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 15-05-2019 07:14 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
JamieKS
Explorer
Options

@Intruder461 wrote:

I would hardly have thought that the LG B8 OLED was entry level it’s a very good TV. I know there is the risk of burn in with any OLED but it would not put me off simply because I am not a Gamer and no matter what TV I have, I never ever will leave a still picture displaying on the screen. I would not even pause a Blu Ray whilst I make a cup of tea lol.

The LG OLEDs have a screen saver that turns on within a couple of minutes of most of the screen showing a static image. So even if you have the TV guide open with the small section at the top showing the live tv the screen saver will kick in as not enough of the screen is changing. I don't think burn in is really an issue unless you leave the same elements on the screen for many many hours which isn't a normal home usage situation. You'd have to leave a news channel on with the same graphics at the bottom all day or something like that.

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I agree entirely Jamie and it is mostly caused by the signs certain TV channels have displayed in the corner such as Fox News, CNN.Sky and all that, and of course with some games as well. But like you say you would have to leave them on for quite a long time for them to burn into the panel, and quite rightly it's not as if anyone is going to have that channel on all day long. Though no doubt many have done so in the past hence why they are complaining that their nice TV's are no longer that nice anymore :). But that is really their own fault and they should have had a lot more common sense in reality not to do such a thing.

It's good to know they also come with a Screensaver. Personally I think every TV should have one on regardless of if it's OLED or not. I know that the LED TV I have does have a timer on it that will switch the TV off if you have not changed the channel or touched the remote in about 4 hours. I am pretty sure you can ajust the time too to suit. But it's still images that are really the problem with OLEDS.

The first flat screen monitor I brought for my computer was an LG a good 10 years ago now, and back then I did used to play the odd game on my computer, and because I did I also had to switch off my Screensaver to stop it interfering with the game. But I did do a foolish thing and I only had this LG monitor for just over a month and thankfully it only cost me £129 from Argos to which I also paid a bit extra for a 3 year guarantee. But even that was no good to me cause when it broke down I could not find the bloody receipt or the extended guarantee, and I ended up spending another £129 on a Samsung monitor to which I still have today.

The thing I foolishly did was answer a phone call to my mate who lived just up the road whilst I was playing a game. His computer had packed in and he wanted me to fix it, and because I only had an hour before the football started and did not want to miss the game. I exited the game and rushed out of the house without realising I had not turned my screensaver back on. I was only gone for half hour and the monitor would of gone into sleep mode after 20 minutes. But that 20 minutes was still to long to prevent the backlight from burning out, and now my mate had his computer working and my monitor was knackered lol.

The same thing could of happened to the Samsung one I replaced it with. The fault was my own and not down to the manufacturers at all. I may have a Samsung TV now to which replaced my old LG I had for the past 10 years. Regarding both Samsung and LG I can honestly say that has a rule I have nothing against either of them. I like them both and will even support them both and am not on any side of the fence.

0 Likes
chumly
Journeyman
Options

Hi.  Been keeping an eye on this forum, some useful info.  Today I sucessfully returned my nu7400 to RS.  They did a straight swap for a RU7400.  I can report that on the RU7400 there is approx 1. something GB used and 3. something GB free space.  The rear panel I/O is also laid out differently.  Ethernet is below the common interface connector as are the RGB connectors.  Hope this helps people.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@chumly wrote:

Hi.  Been keeping an eye on this forum, some useful info.  Today I sucessfully returned my nu7400 to RS.  They did a straight swap for a RU7400.  I can report that on the RU7400 there is approx 1. something GB used and 3. something GB free space.  The rear panel I/O is also laid out differently.  Ethernet is below the common interface connector as are the RGB connectors.  Hope this helps people.

Thanks, that's very useful information. Good to hear that RS looked after you and also that the 2019 RU 7 series has a sensible amount of storage space. It will forever remain a mystery why Samsung thought that only installing a total of 1GB was a sensible thing to do.

As we're well into the 2019 sales year at least nobody else will have the problem as the NU 7 series is thankfully no longer available.

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

Still waiting for this OTA update - nothing yet.

@chumly wrote:

Interesting. Was this offered by RS or did you have to request the swap? Also, which store or was it telesales? I may need to call RS when they open later today...

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options
@mdazza wrote:

Still waiting for this OTA update - nothing yet.

I suspect you'll be waiting a loooooooooong time lol. :shocked-face-with-exploding-head:

0 Likes
Frisnit
Student
Options

Oh dear. I knew I’d run into an issue with the low storage space on my 7470 as the space was weirdly low, and am now at the “update can’t be installed” stage. After reading through the first 15 pages I skipped to page 51 and worked back, hoping there was a resolution/workaround/firmware update, shocked that there still isn’t. And since I bought the TV from Curry’s, I unfortunately know how that’ll pan out! Guess I’ll have to start the same complaints procedures so that at least it’s logged within the first year, in case Samsung admit fault properly. Grateful to all the posters doing the earlier hard work! 

0 Likes
JH33
Explorer
Options

Interesting to hear from a colleague that Samsung has forced another app - Apple TV (17.21MB). So even more space used up. It can't be deleted either.

Has anyone heard anymore from Samsung or the CEOs office? Hopefully they aren't just fobbing it off now and think we've all accepted defeat.

0 Likes
Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I certainly do not think that the 7 series has been taken off the shelves Tony as a matter of fact there are still more of that series in the shops than any other model made by Samsung last year. Most likely the ones that people have returned LOL.

0 Likes
Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I still have not got to this point yet, but I've only had the TV a couple of months. How long have you had your TV.

0 Likes