Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 03-05-2019 11:58 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
porterballs
Journeyman
Options
I haven't experienced those issues personally no! I use my PC for the majority of my content including media! I installed that latest firmware and tbh it's made the menu more responsive than before, my local dimming is on standard currently.
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

I pick mine up on Saturday so will give feedback then.

I have also read about the subtitle issue but will not affect me as i dont use subtitles.  I thnk every TV has a fault to some degree, but i am excited about this TV and i can not wait to get it.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Good luck with the TV!

I've copied the link below from another thread here which shows the subtitle issue. It happens across all the 'Q' TVs and seems to be due to the aggressive local dimming. It only happens on dark scenes apparently. For me it would be a deal breaker as I do watch undubbed foreign TV series, but if you don't then it shouldn't affect you. Weird issue though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxpsTIfBP8Q&feature=youtu.be

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Yes thats a shame, thanks..hope you get sorted mate

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

For the past week I've been using my small bedroom TV as a stand-in until I get my new one to replace the Samsung 7500. It's a two-year old LG. I've never really used the apps before but for the past few days I've been using iPlayer and Now TV.

Over this period I've noticed something rather alarming: I get regular messages saying that "This app will now restart to free up more memory". The app then stops and reloads, and if you're in the middle of streaming a programme it's very annoying. iPlayer did this three times over the space of 30 minutes recently.

What is going on? An internet search reveals that it's a widespread issue and affects all LG TVs since 2013! It's still not resolved and indeed is unacknowledged as an issue by LG (usual denial mode). Have look at the result of this  search to see how widespread the issue is:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=LG+TV+THIS+APP+WILL+RELOAD+TO+FREE+UP+MEMORY&atb=v137-4__&ia=web

It seems that these TV manufacturers are all as bad as each other!

The issue is different to Samsung, although it has the same cause (lack of memory). With LG there's  no issue with updating apps, but the apps themselves run out of cache and have to close down and reload, seemingly at random. A power cycle can clear the issue for a day or so, and there's one workaround which I found that works for a day: close all the recent apps in the menu bar as they seem to take up residual memory.

In conclusion, if you're looking to get an LG once you've finally got rid of your series 7 Samsung - DON'T! It's a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Is there anyone who can make a decent, reliable TV in the known universe? It seems not.

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

That is much worse than what we had to suffer....what is wrong with TV manufactureres these days?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I know, it's ridiculous. They just don't seem to care about getting the basics right and put their fingers in their ears when users point out the issues.

The other two main manufacturers have their own OS issues - Sony's Android is slow and cluttered, according to Which, and also has little space for additional apps. They also don't like Panasonic's OS.

Ironically, Samsung is probably the best bet, provided the chosen TV definitely has 2GB or more spare storage. I'm going to go into Currys over the weekend and check that the 2019 RU 7000 range has this, as it will be another admission from Samsung that they made a mistake with the 2018 NU 7000 range.

By the way, regarding the subtitles issue on Samsung 'Q' TVs, apparently it only happens with HDR content and is because the backlight sets automatically high with HDR. There may be a way to defeat that. I'm still interested in a 2018 Q6 or Q7 as it's a good buy right now, a near OLED quality TV for a lot less than OLED.

chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Just waiting on a e-mail from RS to say mine is in stock, i must say it gets good reviews...ok HDR might not be perfect but its a significant step up from NU7100.

I would if possible mate buy from RS, they were great with me regarding returning the last set.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Funnily enough I just had a call from my local RS! I was in there the other day.

I asked about the 55" Q6 and Q7 - they've now run out of Q6 but had one Q7 left which was ex-display. They offered to reduce the price by £100 and retain the 6-year warranty. On that basis I said yes! I'll pick it up later today or tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to setting it up, so perhaps we can compare notes!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

For the past week I've been using my small bedroom TV as a stand-in until I get my new one to replace the Samsung 7500. It's a two-year old LG. I've never really used the apps before but for the past few days I've been using iPlayer and Now TV.

Over this period I've noticed something rather alarming: I get regular messages saying that "This app will now restart to free up more memory". The app then stops and reloads, and if you're in the middle of streaming a programme it's very annoying. iPlayer did this three times over the space of 30 minutes recently.

What is going on? An internet search reveals that it's a widespread issue and affects all LG TVs since 2013! It's still not resolved and indeed is unacknowledged as an issue by LG (usual denial mode). Have look at the result of this  search to see how widespread the issue is:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=LG+TV+THIS+APP+WILL+RELOAD+TO+FREE+UP+MEMORY&atb=v137-4__&ia=web

It seems that these TV manufacturers are all as bad as each other!

The issue is different to Samsung, although it has the same cause (lack of memory). With LG there's  no issue with updating apps, but the apps themselves run out of cache and have to close down and reload, seemingly at random. A power cycle can clear the issue for a day or so, and there's one workaround which I found that works for a day: close all the recent apps in the menu bar as they seem to take up residual memory.

In conclusion, if you're looking to get an LG once you've finally got rid of your series 7 Samsung - DON'T! It's a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Is there anyone who can make a decent, reliable TV in the known universe? It seems not.

I have an lg, and I know quite a few who have and never had any problems like that. If fact I have had no issues at all.