Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 29-04-2019 08:28 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

OTA just rolled out to me. I seem to have gained 32MB, from 70MB to 102.2MB free lol, either way it wouldn't be enough for the apps to auto update next time round of course. I have PLEX installed and Deezer was deleted beforehand.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

It would be worth checking again after you switch the TV off and back on. I found that I had the same initial gain but the next day I had a net loss of 20MB! The new firmware takes up more space and it comes from the same pool as the apps.

bIOforger
Navigator
Options
OTA update turns it off n back on again or do u mean a hard power down?
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Just a hard power down.

bIOforger
Navigator
Options
i'm not touching it until a powercut lol :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Patrick169
Explorer
Options
OTA? Which version of tizen do you have? I guess it's the 1251?
0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

@Patrick169 wrote:
OTA? Which version of tizen do you have? I guess it's the 1251?

Over The Air, yep 1251.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Could the two forum users who recently swapped to a Samsung Q6FN please comment on how they're finding the TV? That model is still looking like a good option, given the spec and cost (and hopefully adequate app storage!). 

Many thanks.

0 Likes
porterballs
Journeyman
Options

The TV is good I'd say great even! Mice and bright, the HDR is decent enough! As I said before I have just over 2gb of storage for apps! If you are a gamer the input lag is very low plus built in freesync for variable refresh rate! Bluetooth, ambient mode, just double checked I have exactly 2.51gb free for extra apps and I haven't installed any yet. Using the 55inch if your interested in the variable refresh rate then 55inch and up has it, the 50 doesnt, any more questions just ask.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Many thanks! Yes, I would also go for the 55" version.

I was just browsing other threads here and some users are complaining of issues with the latest firmware update 1251 on the Q6 and Q7. They say that it's made some TVs unstable (loss of apps when TV starts up, requiring a hard power cycle) and in particular caused a local dimming problem with subtitles - whenever subtitles appear the whole screen goes brighter, and there's no option to turn off the dimming.  Have you noticed this?

0 Likes