Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 28-04-2019 10:49 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi Rosie,

I'll go on the Which website and see if they have a version of the template for older devices. The version I posted here was for TVs under 6 months old. How long is your warranty and who is your retailer? Don't say Crampton & Moore lol.

It's interesting that you have a 2017 TV with the lack of memory issue. I wasn't aware that it affected TVs other than the 2018 range. Is yours the MU7000 series?

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Below is a template which you can add details to.

I'm not sure whether it's entirely appropriate as your TV is over 6 months old, but if your warranty is still valid then you are entitled to a repair and if it can't be repaired (the memory issue has no solution) then you're entitled to a replacement by an equivalent model, or a refund.

[Your address and contact number]

[Company/supplier’s address]

[Date]

Dear Sir/Madam,

[Reference: contract number]

On [date], I [bought/placed an order for] a [item] and received it on [date]. I have discovered that the [item] has the following problem: [add details].

The Consumer Rights Act makes it an implied term of the contract that goods be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. 

As you are in breach of contract, I am entitled to have the [item] [repaired/replaced] and I would request that you confirm you will do this within 14 days from the date of this letter.

I also require you to confirm whether you will arrange for the [item] to be collected or will reimburse me for the cost of returning it.

I look forward to receiving your satisfactory proposals for settlement of my claim within 7 days of the date of this letter.

Yours sincerely,

[Your name]

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Hi Rosie,

I'll go on the Which website and see if they have a version of the template for older devices. The version I posted here was for TVs under 6 months old. How long is your warranty and who is your retailer? Don't say Crampton & Moore lol.

It's interesting that you have a 2017 TV with the lack of memory issue. I wasn't aware that it affected TVs other than the 2018 range. Is yours the MU7000 series?

Hi,  that template is good to use,  but the criteria is different after 6 months.  You need to show that the fault was there from new,  or a known fault that would have been there from new.  Now Samsung have admitted it is a known fault you meet that criteria,   and can use that template as long as you point out the above.  The actual laws in the October 2015 European Consumer Law is also on the which site,  which states this. 

Paul

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Just to let you know i am still watxhing this thread and am routing for you guys..I have decided to stick to samsun and have gone for 55q6fn...I stock with Richer sounds after the service they gave me.  I did go into currys and check the storage on the TV !! it has gb used and 2gb free! that is more like it!..pcik it up next week!

0 Likes
porterballs
Journeyman
Options

I did exactly the same! Sent back the nu7400 and got the Q6FN! Really nice TV and has 2gb free space 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

"Sticking with Samsung"? Gentlemen, this is treasonous behaviour. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Although their TVs are good in many ways I'm not sure I can take the risk, given what we know about their dim-witted and untrustworthy tech support.

My 7500 was collected by John Lewis yesterday and I was so relieved to get it out of the house! I'm getting a new TV from Richer Sounds next week, which will probably be the LG 65SK9500, unless I have a sudden change of mind. I may have gone for Sony were it not for the universally-criticised Android OS. Sony LED TVs seem to be better than LG on motion control, but as I'm not a sport watcher that doesn't concern me too much.

0 Likes
Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I have yet to experience this so called judder and motion or lack of it on any TV yet, unless my eyes cannot spot it lol. Last month I was quite amazed that the BBC actually broadcasted the England qualifier match for the Euro in UHD.  No doubt when you stream live TV over the internet you will always get a problem with judder and motion but I have yet to see it be a problem when it’s shown on the TV and I have watched football on loads of TV’s over the years.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I used to be able to spot it on some LCDs but that was a few years ago.

Argh! Richer Sounds have just reduced the 65" Q6FN to £969! That's a cracking price for a 65 inch Quantum Dot. But I can't stay with Samsung .... can I? Oh dear, what a dilemma lol.

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

muuuuuhhhhaaaaaaaa (Evil laugh).....welcome back to the dark side....just think how much fun we will all have when we discover our next joint problem..

ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US !!!!

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Haha yes indeed! If I get the Q6 that would be three of us in the last week.

LG: "Life's Good!":smiling-face:

Me: "Meh, forget it. I prefer pain and misery with Samsung!":face-with-tears-of-joy:

I've got a visit arranged by a TV engineer this evening to check out my room for a wall mount position. I'll ask him if he's heard of any ongoing issues with the Q6.

0 Likes