Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 17-04-2019 02:02 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Yes, I agree. Ridiculous and not worth the effort.

I would love to know how something like this can happen. A huge multi-national company with so much skill and expertise at its disposal makes a profoundly stupid error at the manufacturing stage and spends the next year denying it's an issue (Mr **** from the CEO's office) and then admitting it's an issue but not having a clue how to fix it. Astonishing.

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Yes, I agree. Ridiculous and not worth the effort.

I would love to know how something like this can happen. A huge multi-national company with so much skill and expertise at its disposal makes a profoundly stupid error at the manufacturing stage and spends the next year denying it's an issue (Mr **** from the CEO's office) and then admitting it's an issue but not having a clue how to fix it. Astonishing.

Incompetence?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Without a doubt! The thing is, where were the fail safe checks in the system to weed out things like this happening? Why has it only affected one particular range of TV? Where the hell is quality control? 

When it first affected me last November I thought it was a randomly distributed error across the 2018 ranges and I had been unlucky. I started this thread last December, not thinking anyone would reply, yet here we are on page 42 :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi all, I've just had some good news! John Lewis have finally agreed to refund or replace my TV. The tipping point seemed to be yesterday when the new firmware was installed and this actually *reduced* available space. I discussed this with JL's repair company and they recommended to JL no further delay in resolving the matter.

It's a huge relief after months of hassle. I'll continue to comment on this thread as I want to see a proper resolution for everyone, and ideally to know what the cause of the issue really was. JL's repair company asked Samsung twice for the actual size of the memory on the motherboard but never got an answer. Highly dubious. 

I think I'm the first JL customer to successfully get a refund/replacement for this issue, so now that an example has been set it should be easier for others.

discofizz
Explorer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Hi all, I've just had some good news! John Lewis have finally agreed to refund or replace my TV. The tipping point seemed to be yesterday when the new firmware was installed and this actually *reduced* available space. I discussed this with JL's repair company and they recommended to JL no further delay in resolving the matter.

It's a huge relief after months of hassle. I'll continue to comment on this thread as I want to see a proper resolution for everyone, and ideally to know what the cause of the issue really was. JL's repair company asked Samsung twice for the actual size of the memory on the motherboard but never got an answer. Highly dubious. 

I think I'm the first JL customer to successfully get a refund/replacement for this issue, so now that an example has been set it should be easier for others.

That's great news - thanks for letting us know. I'll be pursuing it again with John Lewis as I've been fobbed off once already. How long did you have your TV for out of interest? 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Thats good news,  and I take it they did not ask for a returns number from Samsung,  which I know is not required? 

Everyone else it's worth noting that they would not replace or refund if they could get out of it.  The consumer law is strong in this respect.  Even better is section 75 of the 1974 consumer credit act.  This says if you buy with a credit card the credit card issuers iis just as liable as the retailer.  Therefore you could report it to you card issuers,  and ask for a section 75 claim. This is if you just paid a £100 deposit you are covered for the full amount. 

Paul

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks Paul, you're right  - no returns/uplift number needed from Samsung. As you said before, polite persistence is the key. 

@discofizz - My TV is exactly five months old today. I first reported the issue to JL in December when it was about five weeks old (just missed the 30 day limit!).

PS If you have any hassle with JL I'm happy to send you my case number. This is their internal reference, so they won't be able to plead ignorance of the issue.

discofizz
Explorer
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Thanks Paul, you're right  - no returns/uplift number needed from Samsung. As you said before, polite persistence is the key. 

@discofizz - My TV is exactly five months old today. I first reported the issue to JL in December when it was about five weeks old (just missed the 30 day limit!).

PS If you have any hassle with JL I'm happy to send you my case number. This is their internal reference, so they won't be able to plead ignorance of the issue.

Brilliant - thanks. Mine us a bit older, 8 months, so they may be trickier to talk round. I contacted them in January about it so I'll go back to them and see what they have to say now...

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@discofizz wrote:

@Tony47 wrote:

Brilliant - thanks. Mine us a bit older, 8 months, so they may be trickier to talk round. I contacted them in January about it so I'll go back to them and see what they have to say now...

It does not matter that it is 8 month's old as long as you can show you contacted them about this issue previously,  without it being fixed.  Before 6 months you only have to show its faulty,  after you have to show it was a fault from new.  With Samsung admitting there is a non repairable fault,  then you satisfy that criteria.  You have to allow one attempt at repair. As we know there us no repair available,  therefore you can ask for a replacement or refund, from your retailers,  not the manufacturer. 

And remember one of the best protections we have is section 75.

Paul

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

That is GREAT news Tony and have you thought on what TV you will get to replace it. I got in touch with Samsung on Facebook Messenger and they basically told me to do what you guys have already tried and reset the HUB. I did that and it did give me the space back I had originally when I first had it which was 13%. I told them that is nowhere right and this TV should have at least 3 GB's of internal memory. The fact that all the apps are automatically installed and I cannot delete any apart from the Macfee Antivirus means that there is not a lot you can do here regarding installing the apps I want. For a Gamer this would be a serious concern because there is no way he could install the apps to play his games on the TV.

The fact that the TV is connected to the internet means that updated apps still get automatically installed and firmware updates which will all play a part in taking up what little space is left in the internal memory. Which means that I am going to have to reset this hub all the time. Why on earth Samsung never let people choose their own apps is beyond me. The Fact that you cannot even uninstall them is beyond me and such a silly thing to do. The TV is now back to exact same amount of space it gave me when it came out of the box which is 13%. 13% of space to play with for a brand new TV is absolutely ridiculous.

They then told me. We appreciate your concern, Lee. To make it easy for our customers, some commonly used apps are automatically installed on your TV. With regard to your internal memory, have you contacted our AV Team to have a look into this for you? If not, you can give them a call on: 0330 726 7864, option 2.

I have not bothered phoning them as it’s a waste off time, it’s like flogging a dead horse and you are still not gonna get anywhere.  There is no fix and I doubt if they can fix it either.

Now I do not know what to do at this moment simply because the TV is fine and the only apps I am interested in are a few of the ones that are already installed. I am not a gamer so I could get by with this little amount of space and the only way it will get my goat up is if I have to reset the hub all the time. The TV  came with 13% of space and to be honest I reckon if I had not of installed a couple of apps to experiment with since reading about this problem the 7  Series has. I may very well of  still had that amount of space. And I am back to 13% now since resetting  the hub.

To be honest I would not know what TV to replace it with and I am hardly in a situation right now where I can afford to spend more money on top for another TV even if I got in touch with John Lewis about it.

Now I know some of you guys like Tony have had your TV’s a lot longer than me. But what I do not know is exactly what else you do with the TV besides watch TV and use apps like Netflix. Amazon Prime. Youtube and the catch up  channels like BBC iPlayer and so on for the celestial TV channels. Those are the only apps I use. So being as they are all I use do you think I will run into problems further on down the line.

0 Likes