Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 16-04-2019 03:08 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Intruder461 wrote:

Does anyone know what Patrick is on about with "Just wait one week for OTA". I do not even know how he got the information in the first place, especially as Samsung do not seem to be replying to anything.

He just means that the firmware update will be available 'over the air' in a week or so. I thought it was longer than that but it doesn't matter anyway as we know that it makes the situation even worse. 

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

What's the difference between "over the air" and getting it from Samsung Support. It's seems a bit strange how they released firmware update version 1251.0 yesterday and they are releasing another one next week. Could it be that they are releasing update version 1251.0 over the air next week. I am quite a newbie to Smart TV's and this is actually my first one. But what puzzles me is if this so called over the air update is any different, why on earth did Samsung put out an update yesterday.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

It won't be different, it will be exactly the same version. Firmware updates normally arrive on the website first, then are available OTA. Not many people are tech savvy enough to install from the website (or even know the option is available), so the OTA option is best for most users as it's automatic. Installing from the website is for those of us keen to try out new functionality quickly, if there is any.

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I thought as much and now I do not have to wait till next week and I might as well wait until September. Though which year I don't know lol....

0 Likes
JamieKS
Explorer
Options

So the saga continues with Currys, I've been emailing their customer services (who are based in south africa) who responded with:

We are sorry to learn that your SAMSUNG - UE50NU7470 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV is not working as expected. I can only imagine your frustration in this matter. If the fault with your product occurs within its guarantee period we will offer you a prompt repair service. In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault.

Kindly speak to a member of our Repairs on team as they are in the best position to assist with your query.

You can reach our Repair team on 0344 561 1234, kindly select option 1 followed by option 2. Our lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm on Saturday and 10am to 5pm on Sunday.

I though maybe I'm getting somewhere, they want to inspect the TV and then they will issue a refund. No such luck, after speaking with tech support they said as it's a software fault they can't do anything with it as they only deal with hardware faults. When I asked who I need to speak to that has the authority to issue a refund they said to speak to customer services and that I should speak to them on the phone as the call centre staff are based in the UK. I spoke to a woman who then stated that software issues are not covered under the consumer rights act, this is only hardware faults. She then started saying that I would need a claims reference number before they will issue a refund. She kept trying to pass my back to technical support.

I get the impression this is their default stance as it sounded like this was something she says a lot. I have escalated the issue to a manager but have been told they will give me the same response as she has.

Both technical support and customer serivces have tried to claim the TV is fully functional and there is no problem with it, asking if the TV turns on and I can watch TV on it and if the apps launch.

One thing I've learnt today is never buy a Samsung product or anything from Currys.

My TV is less than 6 months old, what are the next steps?

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

If my TV ends up like this chaps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJIZwMyPmg&t=2s

I would hardly say that the TV is functioning properly and no matter if it's down to software or whatever I would expect it to be fixed or replaced. Now at the moment my TV is like they told you and is working fine and the only thing that could make my TV go like this chaps is if I run out of space.

So far the only thing I have done with my TV regarding the apps is install 1 and delete 2 and I only have 45mbs of space which is 5% left. I seriously think I will have to turn off all updates on the TV otherwise I will run out of space completely. I have only had my TV 1 month and if this is what has happened after one month I would think that because of this problem the TV has not got a chance of lasting a year before it runs into this same sort of problem.

This is a serious issue and something Samsung need to be made more aware of, and quite rightly the fact that they are doing absolutely nothing about it is enough to put anybody off buying another Samsung TV. If my TV goes like this chaps John Lewis will not fob me off by telling me to get in touch with Samsung It's their responsibility to fix it or replace it and if they say that it's a software problem and I am not covered for that. They can kiss my ***** cuase I will not be taking that as an answer :smiling-face:   

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JamieKS wrote:

So the saga continues with Currys, I've been emailing their customer services (who are based in south africa) who responded with:

We are sorry to learn that your SAMSUNG - UE50NU7470 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV is not working as expected. I can only imagine your frustration in this matter. If the fault with your product occurs within its guarantee period we will offer you a prompt repair service. In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault.

Kindly speak to a member of our Repairs on team as they are in the best position to assist with your query.

You can reach our Repair team on 0344 561 1234, kindly select option 1 followed by option 2. Our lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm on Saturday and 10am to 5pm on Sunday.

I though maybe I'm getting somewhere, they want to inspect the TV and then they will issue a refund. No such luck, after speaking with tech support they said as it's a software fault they can't do anything with it as they only deal with hardware faults. When I asked who I need to speak to that has the authority to issue a refund they said to speak to customer services and that I should speak to them on the phone as the call centre staff are based in the UK. I spoke to a woman who then stated that software issues are not covered under the consumer rights act, this is only hardware faults. She then started saying that I would need a claims reference number before they will issue a refund. She kept trying to pass my back to technical support.

I get the impression this is their default stance as it sounded like this was something she says a lot. I have escalated the issue to a manager but have been told they will give me the same response as she has.

Both technical support and customer serivces have tried to claim the TV is fully functional and there is no problem with it, asking if the TV turns on and I can watch TV on it and if the apps launch.

One thing I've learnt today is never buy a Samsung product or anything from Currys.

My TV is less than 6 months old, what are the next steps?

Yep I expect nothing different from Curry's.  Richer Sounds have excepted there is a fault and refunding there customers. 

Curry's will try their best to wriggle out of their commitments.  You need to use the which  consumer complaints tool,  either go to the ks owners refund more info thread,  and it is on the first page,  or google it.  Fill in and and then email to your store,  and customer services.  They are correct when the do not cover software issue's (I do not agree as it is, another way they can get away with misleading people),  but Samsung have admitted it is a fault with no date for a fix. This then is not software but a fault which will not allow full function of the smart tv,ie updating apps,  which is a hardware issue,  because the tv for some reason cannot us properly the on board memory.  You need to make it clear it is, hardware not software.  Also contact citizens Advice who normally very good,  and they also pass on to trading standards. 

On the thread is also useful templates from people dealing with Curry's. 

I would say that Curry's are about the worse retailer going.  Just look on trusted reviews. 

Paul

Ric5
Navigator
Options

After the update, you must perform a restoration from the self-diagnostic menu to notice any improvement in the available space

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

A restoration? You mean a factory reset?

0 Likes
Ric5
Navigator
Options

If tony a factory reset

With the update and after the factory reset I just noticed a small improvement compared to how it was with the T-KTM2DEUC 1202.3, here in Spain with the 3 applications that were put by default in these last days we were already 58Mb available and now with the update uploaded to 120Mb
It's still ridiculous