Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 07-04-2019 09:20 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
JH33
Explorer
Options

It was about 4 weeks ago the engineer said Samsung wanted my TV back to test. So I guess their stance on refunds/exchanges might be different now. Perhaps this was only authorised so they could get a unit pack to test after they spoke to the engineer?

I was then overseas on holiday when I got the email from Samsung Technical (UK) about the replacement or refund, which I sorted out last weekend when I got back.

The TV and covering letter is ready and waiting for collection, so hopefully I hear from the courier this week to pick it up!

Will keep you updated and let you know if I get a response back - I asked them to email me updates on the letter I've included.

Patrick169
Explorer
Options
As you know, number of installed apps depends on region (country) is here any who could name all of the preinstaled apps? Or how many space is available after restarting the hub?
0 Likes
Raucous
Apprentice
Options

Im in UK and the pre-installed apps I have on my 50 inch nu7400 tv are:

Netflix (64kb)

Prime Video (72kb)

Youtube (40kb)

Internet  (doesnt say size)

All 4 (3.02mb)

iPlayer (80kb)

Google Play Movies & TV (56kb)

ITV hub (40kb)

Facebook Watch (36kb)

Universal Guide (12.63mb)

Smart Things (16.72mb)

Gallery (9.34mb)

My5 (2.53mb)

Rakuten Tv (168kb)

Chili (Live your Movie)  (5.95mb)

BBC News (48kb)

BBC Sport (40kb)

Now TV (108kb)

UKTV Play (4.72mb)

Deezer (2.34mb)

Spotify (600kb)

eManual (doesnt say size)

Hope this helps! I cant tell you what space is available after resetting the hub exactly because I reset it a few weeks ago.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

From what a previous poster said after enabling developer mode on the apps, the e-manual is 100MB.

After resetting smart hub, or doing  factory reset, the amount of free space is usually around 150MB, hence it doesn't solve the problem. It would be useful to know how much space the Tizen OS takes up, but I assume that there's only 1GB on the board in total and the bulk of that is taken up by the OS and drive formatting, hence the lack of space available for the apps.

0 Likes
Raucous
Apprentice
Options

well totalling up the preinstalled apps sizes that I listed.. we are talking approx 58.4mb PLUS the 100mb for the emanual and then some amount for the Internet app.

The tv currently says  it has USED 683.70mb and that AVAILABLE is 132.4mb.   How big is that internet app?? This must include the tv software too or maybe the preallocated cache for all of the streaming apps that are preinstalled?

Now adding the USED plus AVAILABLE figures should give us the total size right? That only amounts to 816.18mb so not even a Gb then. 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

My used plus available space is 790.30 MB + 25.88 MB. This is identical to your total of 816.18MB! Fascinating. Why didn't we think of doing this before? Please can everyone do the same calculation, including decimal places. This is entirely consistent with the main board being 1GB in size as the file structure and formatting always takes up at least 10% of drive space. 

You and I having the exact same total to two decimal places shows that this is not a firmware error but a design error. The main board has inadequate storage for the apps and OS, which is what we've been saying for months. How this could have arisen God only knows. Perhaps some TVs in the 7 series do have 4GB as some people in Samsung are saying, but it seems unlikely.

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

I am still very much here !!..i really want you guys to get this sorted..

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

My used plus available space is 790.30 MB + 25.88 MB. This is identical to your total of 816.18MB! Fascinating. Why didn't we think of doing this before? Please can everyone do the same calculation, including decimal places. This is entirely consistent with the main board being 1GB in size as the file structure and formatting always takes up at least 10% of drive space. 

You and I having the exact same total to two decimal places shows that this is not a firmware error but a design error. The main board has inadequate storage for the apps and OS, which is what we've been saying for months. How this could have arisen God only knows. Perhaps some TVs in the 7 series do have 4GB as some people in Samsung are saying, but it seems unlikely.

I think the main issue is what does it say in the specifications what amount of memory it has. If it says 4 gig,  but only has 1 gig,  that is misrepresentation,  and is against the October 2015 European Consumer law,  and you are entitled to a full refund.  

Citizen's Advice are a useful contact. Also on the forums is the thread ks owners refund thread,  which is all about the fight to claim misrepresentation over the ks series,  and has useful advice and template letters. 

Patrick169
Explorer
Options

I haven't seen any 4GB internal storage in Samsung specifications...No information enywhere.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

That's right, the internal storage is not specified in any Samsung material. The figure of 4GB was given by random support people at Samsung. Their other TV ranges do have either 3GB or 4GB (eg NU8000) as confirmed by their owners on this and other forums.