Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 03-04-2019 12:52 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

What if you deleted all the apps you did not want and then turned auto update off? would they still come back after 30 mins?

Bobby_Hryb
Journeyman
Options
I tried all the ways. Applications are installed automatically. It will only help to turn off your TV from internet :)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Bobby, can you confirm that after deleting the e-manual you no longer have space issues with the app updates? I can see that this could be a short term fix, but over time, when additional apps are downloaded, space will once again become an issue. 

bIOforger
Navigator
Options

@chrisnewton wrote:

This is how you turn developer mode on apparantly:-

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/getting-started/using-sdk/tv-device

Who is going to be the first to try this out, must admit i am a bit nervous in case in ruins anything

Interesting, didn't even know that Tizen Studio was publically available. We need to get some decent coders into this thread, maybe they could help us out with a permanent fix!

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

I totally agree its not ideal, but freeing up 100mb will be a big help and allow a few more apps to be downloaded

0 Likes
Bobby_Hryb
Journeyman
Options

I found this solution two weeks ago. At the moment, everything works fine, but after the release of the new firmware version, everything can change. I ordered myself a TV BOX and I hope to get away from this problem forever. Because any smart TV is a very uncomfortable thing. And the TV itself suits me perfectly, what is needed for my PS4 Pro.

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

@Bobby_Hryb wrote:

I found this solution two weeks ago. At the moment, everything works fine, but after the release of the new firmware version, everything can change. I ordered myself a TV BOX and I hope to get away from this problem forever. Because any smart TV is a very uncomfortable thing. And the TV itself suits me perfectly, what is needed for my PS4 Pro.

Yea, but Sammy probably wont release another firmware for these tvs lol And that's exactly what im going to do if the apps break in the future, i.e run netflix, plex etc from my playstation.

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Well i always has 182mb free untill last night, there must have been a round of updates  (some apps had yesterdays date on them as last updated!) and now i have gone down to 159mbs!  I have insalled none of my own apps so the updates have cost me 13mb! When you look at the size of the insalled apps they are so small 400kb etc so i have no idea where this space has gone?

I am going to use tony47 method and reset the smart hub and see what that does.  So this should delete everthing and re-install the latest version of apps?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi Chris,

As the guy on here from Belarus says, most of the 1GB space is being eaten up by the Tizen OS. I don't believe Samsung when they say that there's 4GB installed. There's probably a download cache that's still sitting there after the update as well.

Yes, resetting smarthub clears the cache, downloads the latest versions of the built-in apps and deletes the others if you have any. You'll have to re-enter all your login credentials.

chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Thanks for you're help

Again i find it crazy that in 2019 i have to do this with a brand new TV

0 Likes