Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 03-04-2019 09:21 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

@discofizz wrote:

Glad I found this thread, I have the same issue on my UE43NU7400. 

Fascinating to read Samsung's response. Having read all this I'll be getting in touch with them too.

It'll be interesting to find out what the internal storage on the new RU7400 model is, as it seems to be a direct replacement for the NU7400 with barely any spec changes. It wouldn't surprise me if it's identical except for having 4GB internal storage...

I just spoke to Ben at ABT (USA electronics retailer) who checked and advised the RU7 series has 2GB of storage. I don't know what the usual differences are between the US and Euro versions but storage would be a terribly arbitrary difference if there is any. I've copied the chat transcript below:

18:47
Daren
What's the internal storage on Samsung's RU7*** TVs. I'm trying to find out if it's an improvement over the paltry 1GB on the NU7*** models.

Ben R.
Hello, and welcome to Abt Live Chat.

Ben R.
which model?

Daren
Any - the RU7400 and 7100 should be the same for the most part, right?

18:48
Ben R.
ys

18:49
Ben R.
the storage isnt a spec the manuf gives

18:49
Ben R.
not that im seeing

18:50
Daren
No, Samsung don't list it anywhere - I was hoping you may have a display model or something you could check on?

18:51
Ben R.
that wont be listed on the tv as well

18:52
Ben R.
the best place I would try

18:52
Ben R.
is to call samsung directly

18:53
Daren
If the RU7 TVs are anything like the NU7 it will show in Apps > Settings. The storage capacity and usage should be in the top right corner

18:53
Daren
Samsung say the NU7 should be 4GB but it's definitely only 1GB so I don't trust whatever spec sheet their support staff are looking at!

18:59
Ben R.
checking

19:00
Daren
Thank you

19:05
Ben R.
2gb

Daren
Excellent - sorry for the incovenience but I really appreciate you finding out for me

Ben R.
no worries, and no inconveniece at all

19:06
Ben R.
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Daren
That's all for now. Thanks Ben

Ben R.
and you're welcome : )

Ben R.
Thanks for contacting Abt. It was a pleasure chatting with you. Have a nice day.

Alex681
First Poster
Options

@Bobby_Hryb wrote:

Good evening, I am writing through a translator, as I am from Belarus and do not speak English fully. I managed to remove all embedded applications. But after removing them, it frees up to no more than 20 megabytes, but then the applications are automatically installed again after a while. After e-Manual removal, about 100 megabytes has been released and it can be removed forever. The conclusion is that the built-in applications and e-Manual takes up no more than 150 megabytes of memory, the rest of the hard disk space is eaten by the tizen operating system itself.

Hi, how did you manage to remove the e-manual? Any link?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@mdazza wrote:

@discofizz wrote:

Glad I found this thread, I have the same issue on my UE43NU7400. 

Fascinating to read Samsung's response. Having read all this I'll be getting in touch with them too.

It'll be interesting to find out what the internal storage on the new RU7400 model is, as it seems to be a direct replacement for the NU7400 with barely any spec changes. It wouldn't surprise me if it's identical except for having 4GB internal storage...

I just spoke to Ben at ABT (USA electronics retailer) who checked and advised the RU7 series has 2GB of storage. I don't know what the usual differences are between the US and Euro versions but storage would be a terribly arbitrary difference if there is any.

Good work! Even 2GB of storage is low compared to all other TVs, but it would overcome the issue. I think the UK RU models are coming out in early May, so I'll be popping into Currys or JL to check out the storage for myself.

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

How did you remove the manual?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I'd like to know that too. The delete option is greyed out on my TV, as are all the other built-in apps.

chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

IF we can free up 100mb, this would help alot of us out

0 Likes
Bobby_Hryb
Journeyman
Options
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

This is how you turn developer mode on apparantly:-

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/getting-started/using-sdk/tv-device

Who is going to be the first to try this out, must admit i am a bit nervous in case in ruins anything

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I'll think about it seriously. If we can delete the e-manual and a couple of the built-in apps it would free up enough space to 'fix' the issue. It's not a serious workaround for most people though and I'd still prefer a replacement TV.

Bobby_Hryb
Journeyman
Options
The built-in applications are returned after 30 minutes, only the e-manual can be deleted forever. If necessary, the e-manual can be downloaded again from the official Samsung website.