Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 26-03-2019 07:44 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

@Steve_Roebuck wrote:

They are doing everything they can to put us off chasing this down so its up to us brave souls to carry on and fight the fight for the common man!!!

It won't make a blind bit of difference nor will the social media/twitter rebellion, it may help calm your anxiety or it might worsten it :winking-face: Sammy are way too big and profitable to even care or be bothered about this. As someone else mentioned this would only get looked at properly if millions of the same model were affected. Even then you'd still get passed around the houses for ages before anything was done about it. This is standard policy by any big tech company to prolong any known issues for as long as possible until warranties run out. If we get that alleged firmware update and it actually works i will eat everyones hat in this thread.

0 Likes
Dal2
Journeyman
Options

Complete and utter joke all the  service centre people want to do is take control of the remote and reset the tv which doesn’t work. Tried telling the girl but she wouldn’t listen and kept going on about taking control of the tv I said a lot of people are having this issue as 1gb of storage is simply too small and other Samsung models have higher storage.

0 Likes
Dal2
Journeyman
Options

I agree what makes it worse is you go the the houses and all the service staff want to reboot the tv (which doesn’t work ) they must know something wrong but they are told not to admit it at all costs lol

0 Likes
mdazza
Pioneer
Options

Just finished a 1 hour 10 minute call to Samsung (can't believe I've become one of 'those' customers). First person couldn't tell me anything new - "We're aware of the issue. It's with the engineers. Don't worry, we'll get back to you when we have a fix".

I asked to speak to their supervisor - same spiel with them too.

I asked to have it ecalated to the "higher escalations" team (Customer Resolutions is the actual team name) and was put through to someone in the UK (pleasant surprise). This time, I asked, "In the event firmware updates are ineffective, what's the timescale before alternative solutions are explored, ie. replacement with a different model?" He didn't know but said he'd assign my account to himself and ask the question to head office. I'm expecting a callback on Thursday with an update.

If I can't get an answer to this question, I don't have much hope for a resolution - as was mentioned earlier, they could just drag it out until the warranty expires...

0 Likes
Dal2
Journeyman
Options

At least they admitted to you it was a known issue I just keep getting the Indian girls wanting to reboot the tv 🤬🤬

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

It's so frustrating to read all this. Samsung will have a fight on their hands with us John Lewis and Richer Sounds customers as our warranties are 5 - 6 years long. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

I went through the endless escalation process with Samsung before Christmas and just about lost the will to live. However, I've been encouraged by the more recent experiences of posters here, in that Samsung have been authorising TV replacements, so I think it's just a case of being persistent. I certainly won't give up or accept this defect.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

Just to say that after my problem 2 days ago I didn't see the pop up anymore and my free space is above 120MB.

As I said I updated some applications by reinstalling them and it worked. That is much less painful than resetting the Smart Hub account.

I guess the error is due to a race condition appearing when the disk is filled by temporal files or it wants to update many apps at the same file.

After the first time I had the issue in December this is the first time that it was repeated and I solved it in 5 minutes so although an update by Samsung would be welcome I think I can live with it.

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

@AQuALoRd wrote:

Just to say that after my problem 2 days ago I didn't see the pop up anymore and my free space is above 120MB.

As I said I updated some applications by reinstalling them and it worked. That is much less painful than resetting the Smart Hub account.

I guess the error is due to a race condition appearing when the disk is filled by temporal files or it wants to update many apps at the same file.

After the first time I had the issue in December this is the first time that it was repeated and I solved it in 5 minutes so although an update by Samsung would be welcome I think I can live with it.

Been there, done that, error will popup again next month. Some people have even been unable to update after removing any apps, as the freespace was still misreported.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I DM'ed Samsung Help earlier on Twitter to see what kind of response I'd get, and have just received this gem:

Thanks for getting back to us! Can you check out this handy guide under 'Automatically updating apps' for more information: https://t.co/XwbfAiRbyx Let us know if this helps at all!  

:face-with-rolling-eyes:

It was probably sent by a bot as I'd already given them full details and mentioned the other people that had contacted them today. Pointless.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Steve_Roebuck wrote:
Exactly they can see no correlation between the issues ( I work in an IT Dev/Support environment and it's always what you look for), treating each one as an individual case gives them carte blanche to fob us off with whatever hair-brained idea they can come up with.

You would have thought someone from Samsung would actually read these forums and see the issues, that said reading these forums has convinced me more and more that I made a poor choice in selecting Samsung as my TV brand. The horror story with the KS units is a real eye-opener.

They are doing everything they can to put us off chasing this down so its up to us brave souls to carry on and fight the fight for the common man!!!

Steve, what was the 'KS' story? 

0 Likes