Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Ambient mode

(Topic created on: 01-11-2018 05:57 PM)
Troop3r
Pathfinder
Options

hello I have purchased the samsung qled q6 55 inch tv which is this model https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qledtv-q6fn/QE55Q6FNATXXU/  I have had it for a few days now, having a play around with the settings and features on it, one thing I have noticed is ambient mode which is a nice feature but after reading up about it on the net I have noticed I can upload my own pictures to use but when I upload my pictures they only stay on while I use the smart things app on my phone, is there a way to keep them on permanent as I have a photo of my three grandkids and it would look fantastic on my tv like a real photo on the wall with the real thin bezel around it, it looks like I don't have a television in my living room 🙄.

95 REPLIES 95
LKB
Pioneer
Options

I was on the phone with Samsung CS on this today -- they say that Smart Things for IOS won't do Ambient Mode at all.  They say that they know about the problem and "are working" on a fix, but of course have no idea if/when such a fix will emerge.

They also say that except for using Smart Things, there's no way to upload pics or do any of the other Ambient Mode tweaks Samsung touts in promoting the Q8 and Q9 TV's.  IOW, until Samsung deigns to fix their IOS version, I'm out of luck. 

This really bites.  Samsung is deliberately advertising a feature that it knows is essentially crippleware, if not vaporware.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@LKB wrote:

I was on the phone with Samsung CS on this today -- they say that Smart Things for IOS won't do Ambient Mode at all.  They say that they know about the problem and "are working" on a fix, but of course have no idea if/when such a fix will emerge.

They also say that except for using Smart Things, there's no way to upload pics or do any of the other Ambient Mode tweaks Samsung touts in promoting the Q8 and Q9 TV's.  IOW, until Samsung deigns to fix their IOS version, I'm out of luck. 

This really bites.  Samsung is deliberately advertising a feature that it knows is essentially crippleware, if not vaporware.

If it does not work as advertised, then that could be misrepresentation and under consumer law you would be entitled to a full refund. You can use the Which tool web link on page 1 of ks owners refund more info thread on these forums. 

Paul

0 Likes
Fisa
Student
Options

Same tv same problem.

The smartthing does not show the ambient buttons!

Fisa
Student
Options
How is this a solution to the problem?
0 Likes
LKB
Pioneer
Options

The posted “solution” is not, of course, any solution at all.  

Ambient Mode has turned out to be mostly hype that does not (and apparently never has) worked like Samsung has breathlessly claimed in its advertising.  Good luck finding a moderator (or CS rep) who actually knows anything about it beyond a few scripted responses, most of which usually turn out to be wrong.

For example, after lots of effort on my part, Samsung and SmartThings CS both confirmed to me that there’s not a way to use user-supplied backgrounds with Ambient Mode, notwithstanding Samsung’s claims to the contrary.  (Over at the US Samsung Community, one very tech-savvy user posted a kludge/hack that he figured out that allows you to do so (Android SmartThings only), but it’s pretty involved, and only kinda-sorta works.). But rest easy, they’re working on it.

Yeah, right.  I’m sure they’ll get right back to us on that.

JoeMac
Student
Options

Same issues.  Will be returning this tv as no one has any answers other than we are working on it.  Unacceptable.  

JoeMac
Student
Options

Same issues.  Will be returning as this is a false advertisement and the only answer is “we are working on it”.  Unacceptable 

LKB
Pioneer
Options

<unacceptable>

Yup.  Samsung is treating us as beta testers at best, suckers at worst.

And, of course, note the utter silence from the Moderators here (as well as on the US Community site) on this subject after people point out that Ambient Mode doesn’t actually work and the “fixes” that they routinely cite to don’t either.

Why such silence?  Probably because they bloody well know that Ambient Mode is and continues to be an abject fraud that has never worked as advertised, and likely never will.  

RogerCruse
First Poster
Options
Disappointing to hear that having your own photos on ambient mode is 'broken'....

Having just purchased this TV, I was hoping to find an option to add any cloud providers (OneDrive, Google, iCloud, etc) photos too....

shame.
0 Likes
KJOC
First Poster
Options

Wow. This is so upsetting for so many reasons.  First, this was the reason I bought this TV. Second, I've been feeling like an ***** because I couldn't figure this out.  Turns out I've been suckered.

After the ordeal I've been through to get this ***** thing and to get it on the wall, I'm torn as to whether or not to return it.  Does anyone know whether the Frame TV (which I believe is nOT QLED technology, correct?)  lives up to the promise of displaying art and photos?

Also, is this a software problem that might eventually be fixed? Or, is this just never going to work as promised.