Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads on TV

(Topic created on: 05-03-2019 02:28 PM)
PeterSams
Journeyman
Options

Does anybody know how to turn off really annoying ads popping up on menu bar of tv. I didn't pay nearly £2500 to be bombarded with this rubbish. I have a QLED Q8. Any help would be gratefully received as this is driving me to distraction.

49 REPLIES 49
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Samsung never respond, they are utter rubbish.

All I can say is we stopped getting these adds by going into the settings menu finding stuff about terms and privacy and disagreeing with everything.  They sometimes come back again with a firmware update, which I suspect most of the time rather than fixing anything with new firmware, the new firmware is just about adding more adverts!

Samsung have lost at three sales of TVs because I've told friends/family to stay well clear, and my wife was going to buy a Samsung phone, and I said no way are we having anymore of their products, so she didn't.

MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Agreed. The response I got from them on Twitter was a case of "tough *****" but in a more polite way. 

It's like they don't give a ***** tbh. And what a ***** way to develop the onboard software in such a way they can display whatever they want on the Home bar and you've got no choice against this. Surely legally this can't be correct 🤔

Screenshot_20190305-143149.png

0 Likes
web_traveler
Apprentice
Options

You can't turn it off without some firmware code editing

IT is the most growing industry to work in!
0 Likes
JEWbacca
First Poster
Options

I found the solution:

Settings > support > terms & policy >interest based advertisements 

Uncheck the box that says enable to blah blah blah. 

No more ads. 

MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options
Does that just mean we'll still get ads...just less relevant ones 🤷🏿‍♂️
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@MrShak1982 wrote:
Does that just mean we'll still get ads...just less relevant ones 🤷🏿‍♂️

The Internet Based services are designed  to provide interactive and internet based services which are relevant to your interests, you can opt out of that but seems you will get some advertisements.

"Please note that your privacy choice with respect to the IBA Service will not affect whether or not you receive or are served with other types of ads and marketing that are not specifically based on TV viewing history or Samsung Smart TV usage information. Those other types of ads and marketing will be based on other information such as generalized location and other estimated or inferred information. They might be less relevant because they are not based on your interests.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

So basically no matter what we do, we get shafted by Samsung on these expensive smart TVs we've paid for and will always get ads...which isn't brought up/mentioned/explained at point of sale 🤔

Not directed at you obviously, but this is ridiculous. If I would have known I would have brought a different brand for sure.

Snabbe
First Poster
Options

I emailed the buyers rights organization here in Norway to ask them what they think of this, and if it is grounds for cancellation of purchase. 

MrShak1982
Pioneer
Options

Interesting!  I wonder if Samsung are aware of this?

0 Likes
MickMack926
Student
Options

Thanks for this info guys, I was just about to buy a Samsung TV.............LG it is then!!