Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 17-09-2019 11:53 AM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

425 REPLIES 425
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

To hopefully clear things up regarding 8K upscaling, I've had it confirmed that:

All Samsung 8K TV’s (Q900RATXXU & Q950RBTXXU) have a screen with 8K resolution.  The AI upscaling engine will take a resolution input - either SD (720 x 480), HD (1920 x 1080) or UHD (3840 x 2160) - and upscale it to fit the 8K resolution screen (7680 × 4320).

YouTube 8K content uses AV1 codec – which is not supported by the YouTube app available on Samsung’s current 8K TV’s.

Typical you buy a very exspensive 8K TV and guess what I bet you were never told that the onboard youtube app does not support 8K. Crazy.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Well it is  somewhat frustrating that the current You Tube app does not support 8k,  however the upscaling on other content seems very impressive (not that I own one but have seen a display).

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Sunny69
Pioneer
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

To hopefully clear things up regarding 8K upscaling, I've had it confirmed that:

All Samsung 8K TV’s (Q900RATXXU & Q950RBTXXU) have a screen with 8K resolution.  The AI upscaling engine will take a resolution input - either SD (720 x 480), HD (1920 x 1080) or UHD (3840 x 2160) - and upscale it to fit the 8K resolution screen (7680 × 4320).

YouTube 8K content uses AV1 codec – which is not supported by the YouTube app available on Samsung’s current 8K TV’s.

Hi AntS

Do you own a QE65Q900R television?

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @Sunny69,

No, me and the family have got a UE40JU6000... along with a couple of older non-Samsung TVs in the bedrooms.

0 Likes
KateBovski
Apprentice
Options

@AntS wrote:

So is there going to be a software update to support the AV1 codec?

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@KateBovski wrote:

Sadly, there isn't. The hardware/chipset is unable to support it.

tom99
Voyager
Options

Is that not something that could have been addressed commonly with the Hdmi 2.1 update and the following  exchange of the Oneconnect box (which I received 2 weeks ago)?

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes
tom99
Voyager
Options

This is rather sad as Youtube is currently the only source I know for 8K material. Hence a fix of this would be a good sales argument and thus  should be in the interest of Samsung.

GQ65Q800T
0 Likes
Sunny69
Pioneer
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

Hi AntS,

Who ever told this rubbish is absolutely wrong, I have owned a Q900R for 3 months , and I can say hand on heart I'm deeply disappointed with the picture quality,  it does not upscale anything,  I have a Sky Q source along with HDMI Cables that cost £189.00 each which can carry a 48Gbps signal and the picture quality is extremely poor,

for example;

If you watch SD Channel it's shown on the tv has SD quality 

If you watch HD Channel it's shown on the tv has HD quality 

If you watch UHD Channel it's shown on the tv has UHD quality 

The piece of rubbish TV does not upscale anything at all, it's a complete fraud and I'm seeking legal advise unless someone from Samsung can resolve the issue with me.

I just watched the Shangai maters snooker tournament  which was broadcasted on Eurosport only, it was in SD and the quality on my Q900R was so poor it was unwatchable,  I had to resort to watching on my 6 year old Samung which was far superior. 

Until you own this model TV you will not know it's limitations,  somebody from a call centre saying this is what the TV does is talking rubbish to you.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AntS wrote:

@KateBovski wrote:

Sadly, there isn't. The hardware/chipset is unable to support it.

@AntS this sounds very much like the JS series which was sold as a HDR TV and when Netflix started broadcasting HDR Marco Polo,guess what, the Netflix App on it would not work in HDR, took over a year to sort out.

Then the KS series again told fully HDR 10 and HLG, and again when the only broadcast was BBC Iplayer in 4K HLG guess what, the Iplayer app on the KS TV would not support and still can not. It took ages before it would even support over HDMI. Alos with the KS the misrepresenation in respect to it being the center of your internet of things, when you got your free USB Dongle to enable it, and thatnever happened. If you look on these forums you can see how people got refunds over that,

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/KS-Owners-Refund-usefull-info/m-p/579806#M14123

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Re-KS-Owners-refund-Results/m-p/591873#M14588

Now with this very exspensive TV the first 8K broadcast from YouTube, and a 8K TV can not support it, abosolutly crazy, and I bet Samsung never ever mentioned that issue. They never do!

I would argue the TV is not fit for purpose, and insist it has been misrepresented, and insisit from your retailers a full refund.

Paul

0 Likes