Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Moily
Pathfinder
Options
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

This is strange, for the Belgium game everything was looking really good with gamma on -3 and colour on 50. 

Just put the England game on and everything looks really washed out, had to bump the colour up to 70 as suggested above and everything looks fine now.

just weird how different games are looking more washed out than others.

Just a thought, but I’ve experienced the wrong colour space being used on a couple of test videos.  As an experiment, try changing the Colour Space (in Expert Settings) to CUSTOM. Leave all the colours on their defaults.

0 Likes
PM06
Journeyman
Options

Just an observation when I set up my hdr settings for the Belgium match the colours definitely did not look right skin tones and colours looked washed out yet when I switched from Roku iPlayer input to BBC HD on Virgin v6 to compare picture and then back to Roku iPlayer input the change in picture on Roku iPlayer app was stunning all colours looked natural and reds and colours were rich but not oversaturated not sure why this happened interested if anyone has noticed this.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@PM06 wrote:

Just an observation when I set up my hdr settings for the Belgium match the colours definitely did not look right skin tones and colours looked washed out yet when I switched from Roku iPlayer input to BBC HD on Virgin v6 to compare picture and then back to Roku iPlayer input the change in picture on Roku iPlayer app was stunning all colours looked natural and reds and colours were rich but not oversaturated not sure why this happened interested if anyone has noticed this.

That correlates with my own experience. Switching inputs and even switching from internal apps to HDMI seems to sometimes pick the wrong colour space. It does seem random, and my workaround has been to set the Colour Space for all HDR to custom, which on my TV is calibrated exactly the same as AUTO (ie rec.2020).  Given that all(?) HDR should be rec.2020, there’s no need for auto-detection of colour space for HDR.

PM06
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for the feedback will try custom
0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

The exact same thing happenned to me earlier! Thought I was going mad when I switched to my SkyQ box by accident. When I switched back it just didn't look right - so much so that I had to check the settings hadn't reset themselves.

Looks like we may have found another KS software bug then, albeit inadvertently.

@tarbatI will try your suggestion on the CUSTOM setting.

0 Likes
Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options

Nice one about ps4. Watching it now. Had to put it on game mode as seemed to have stutter. Also colour was washed out, had to ramp up colour to 65 and now got it on native. 

0 Likes
Atlanticism
First Poster
Options

That's my experience comparing the Dutch Public Broadcasters 4K HLG-HDR channel with regular BBC one HD and others (on a UE60KS7000). The Belgium game was much better color wise, the England game is missing color (again).  That is really weird.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

No issues with colour wash out on the England game. Have a go at @tarbat suggestion of setting Colour Space to 'Custom' and see if that fixes it (or cycling your HDMI input, but the 'Custom' fix will have more longevity!)

This really might explain why people have had such an inconsistent experience with the broadcasts.

0 Likes
Atlanticism
First Poster
Options

unfortunately that doesn't work for me... 

I'm in the midsts of figuring out  with Samsung NL why my tv is not picking up the HDR-HLG broadcast standard. Many people reporting relatively white images. Examples below (BBC One HD is the colorful one, the other is NPO 1 UHD, the Dutch Network broadcasting in HDR-HLG) . I'm watching directly on the KS7000 with CI+ and latest software.

It seems there are many probleems with the 2016 UHD models and the new UHD standard... I can get a decent picture quality by upping the color from 50 to 70, but then all other networks look awful. 

IMG_20180618_200043.jpgIMG_20180618_200036.jpg

0 Likes