Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

Far be it from me to tell Samsung what their televisions can or cannot display, however, I do think you need to revise your stance based on this evidence.

:smileyvery-happy: 

Great response! We 100% know HLG works over HDMI without any issues as long as the EDID is ignored/spoofed. Hell isn't there even some Samsung Blu-ray players that ignore the EDID and send HLG regardless?

Yes, the 2017 Samsung UBD-M9500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player. Although if you challenge Samsung using one of their own devices as evidence, I wouldn't put it past them to update its firmware so that it starts to check the TV's EDID.

I agree, great response. :smiling-face: 

matt14
Journeyman
Options

Hi All

Last night I contacted Samsung CEO office and received the exactly same response earlier today.

"We believe that there is some confusion within the Samsung Community and Forums that the issue can be resolved with a change to the EDID which is not correct.

Hybrid Log Gamma is an encoding system developed by the BBC & NHK to support the broadcast of UHD HDR content which is backwards compatible with legacy non HDR devices.

The decoding of the Hybrid Log Gamma information when transmitted over HDMI is different than that of broadcast and is not controlled by the EDID information of the TV."

My reply was as follows...

"Many thanks for your prompt response. I’m still a little confused, could I ask that you clarify further. My understanding from the forums is that HLG HDR over HDMI has been proven to work in 2 cases

1) From a Roku that doesn’t look at the EDID

2) From a Sky Q box in Italy where the EDID was injected using an HD Fury

In both cases the KS TV was able to understand and decode the HLG HDR over HDMI.

Please can you clarify further why the KS TVs are unable to natively support HLG HDR over HDMI and if there are any plans to support it in the future."

I'll feedback if I get a response

What I've found interesting is that we've had a definate statement on iPlayer that Samsung have no plans to support. The feedback on HLG HDR over HDMI has been more factual about the current status. ie, I've not seen a statement that says Samsung have no plans to support this in the future, just that it's not supporting it now. Probably just wishful thinking by me that there's still hope :smileyhappy:

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Interesting stuff, thank you for sharing on here. 

I think your response is better than mine!

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Awesome reply, @matt14.
Samsung should be fixing this quickly now, because there'll be hell to play when a few thousand UK Sky Q users with Samsung TVs all find out on the same day that they can't see HDR otherwise.
In fact, I'd wager that Sky's internal engineers should be talking directly to Samsung's - if as I hope they have access, it's certainly that Sky has a lot more "clout" than we do.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

Far be it from me to tell Samsung what their televisions can or cannot display, however, I do think you need to revise your stance based on this evidence.

Great response! We 100% know HLG works over HDMI without any issues as long as the EDID is ignored/spoofed. Hell isn't there even some Samsung Blu-ray players that ignore the EDID and send HLG regardless?

Yes, the 2017 Samsung UBD-M9500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player. Although if you challenge Samsung using one of their own devices as evidence, I wouldn't put it past them to update its firmware so that it starts to check the TV's EDID.

I agree, great response. :smiling-face: 

So what HLG content has the M9500 sent to the KS?

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

So what HLG content has the M9500 sent to the KS?

I cannot possible say for certain, it was ages ago. All I remember is that that player played HLG over HDMI to a Samsung 2016 model. I read it in postings on AVSforum sometime between when it was launched and today. Sorry I don't have anything more precise.

EDIT: Could have been one of the USB demo clips.

EDIT: By that I mean the USB stick was in the player, and it then sent the HLG video down the HDMI cable to the TV!

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

I'd wager that 'Senior' Samsung person doesn't really understand what they're saying. 

But yes, @mrtickle I'm quite looking forward to the first BBC game when the Virgin and SkyQ owners suddenly find they're all on the same hole-ridden boat as the rest of us!

And, be in no doubt, you don't need any fancy hardware to examine the EDID on your set - just connect to to a Windows 10 machine and download madVR - it'll spit out the complete history of the TV AND read the EDID in chapter and verse to you - for free. And on that note, I was read that on a Windows machine it's possible to override the EDID to suit whatever you like, although the process was way over my noggin.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

I'd wager that 'Senior' Samsung person doesn't really understand what they're saying. 

I expect "Senior" means "manager", and not one of the real engineers who knows the difference between present tense and future tense. :smiling-face:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

And, be in no doubt, you don't need any fancy hardware to examine the EDID on your set - just connect to to a Windows 10 machine and download madVR - it'll spit out the complete history of the TV AND read the EDID in chapter and verse to you - for free. And on that note, I was read that on a Windows machine it's possible to override the EDID to suit whatever you like, although the process was way over my noggin.

Oooh. I'll have to give that a go at the weekend.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Hi, I think the issue here is not about a possible fix but samsung's willingness to actually want to fix this issue. The evidence says no. I think their replies says everything and I now do not hold any hope of them fixing this. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

After complaining to the iPlayer team I was informed the Roku+ (and Now TV and Xbox One) would not be part of the World Cup trial.  I went back again and stressed how wrong it was to bar streaming devices previous part of the trials and got the following.  A very slim hope?

"Many thanks for getting back in contact.

I understand your frustration, especially if you had been able to watch Blue Planet II in UHD previously.

Sadly I would be unable to make any promises however, I will certainly stress your points when I pass them onto the Audience Feedback Report.

Rest assured, leave this with me and I will do all I can.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

All the best,

Ryan McIlwaine

BBC iPlayer Support Team"