Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Jakobi wrote:

Has this been reported to watchdog/trading standards?

Considering these TV's were sold as 'Premium' Ultra HD, compared to other brands which weren't even advertised as premium; and these 'non premium' TV's having the ability to fully utilise HLG & BBC Iplayer in 4K?

Bearing in mind 'DVB-DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) system' is part of 'European broadcaster streaming guidelines'?

Clearly other brands implemented this to make their TV's fit for purpose.

I feel like a stuck record here, had the same conversation on twitter with a broadcast professional who was unaware of the DASH issue...

The problem is with the underlying Tizen platform on our TV's not supporting the Wildvine or Clearkey DRM security API's used by the iPlayer app, we'll NEVER get 4k through the onboard 'Smart Hub' app. Our only hope is an offboard solution through the HDMI port (which Samsung have said does allow HLG assuming the EDID fault is corrected).

Samsung will never ever ever ever come out and admit this. Ever. Don't bother, it's a waste of your time. Punish them in the wallet at your next TV purchase.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Strange thing I just went into the Roku+ iPlayer app I got an opening screen informing me I will be able to enjoy the World cup in live streaming UHD!  

Whats going on?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

I sent a direct twitter message to SamsungHelpUK

Me:

I have a 2016 KS TV which can handle HLG HDR from internal apps. However it won't work with a connected device that sends HLG as the TV does not let the device know it is HLG compliant. This can be fixed with a simple update to the EDID. Please can this be done so KS owners can enjoy HLG HDR via connected devices? Thanks

Support Centre:
Hi Stephen. Can you confirm the model of your TV? ^AM

Support Centre:
Hi Stephen. We're currently looking into this and will get back to you when more information becomes available. ^AL

Me:
It would be great if it was fixed before the world cup. Then I will be able to watch in glorious HLG via a connected device. Will we get movement on this soon?

Support Centre:
We are currently working on it and will get back to you as soon as possible. ^CW

Read into that as you will 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

Strange thing I just went into the Roku+ iPlayer app I got an opening screen informing me I will be able to enjoy the World cup in live streaming UHD!  

Whats going on?

I got that too! And I noticed that when trying the UHD Trial,  I don't get the error message just a blank colourful screen lol Got to press home button to go back

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Same here. Not sure what to read into that. Is it device specific or just generic iPlayer??

6168AC87-7ACD-4778-98FC-A8D5CE34E8CA.jpeg

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Same here. Not sure what to read into that. Is it device specific or just generic iPlayer??

6168AC87-7ACD-4778-98FC-A8D5CE34E8CA.jpeg

u must get a sore neck watching that mate!!

cheers

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Shield TV and Fire TV 2 i receive no message so I dont think its generic

cheers

0 Likes
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

Just powered up the V6 box, 200mb/s internet, KS7000 curved telly bought in November 2016, I get the iPlayer Planet Earth trial in iPlayer Beta and the telly displays HLG!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Don't think it's generic as on my V6  box,which had been updated to support HDR, the iPlayer app has not shown that screen.  Also It has the Planet Earth 2 clip and not the FA Cup match. So maybe, just maybe there's hope  

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@edindundee wrote:

Just powered up the V6 box, 200mb/s internet, KS7000 curved telly bought in November 2016, I get the iPlayer Planet Earth trial in iPlayer Beta and the telly displays HLG!!!!!!!!!

More info please bud, the trial has HLG in the corner regardless of SDR or HDR. Can you confirm your tele actually switches to HLG mode?

0 Likes