Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:
Judging by the HLG via HDMI curve from your tests, there should be extreme over brightening that produces a very washed out image. I've experienced none of that. The image looks 100% identical to the same content via the internal app.

I wouldn't say "extreme over brightening", but yes, a washed out image is what I was seeing when streaming iPlayer HLG content from the Roku Stick+. The comparison of EOTF curves between the KS TV (bottom) and an MU6400 TV (top) is obvious:

OK so it is probably brighter than it should be - but in no way washed out and nothing that can't be adjusted by gamma or brightness settings.  I compared the UHD version from my VM V6 box (which of course won't sent the HLG) to that of the Roku+.  Both were great and yes the Roku was brighter but also more vibrant.   None of the snow scenes looked any more 'bleached out' on the Roku compared to the VM.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:

The effect of the HLG via HDMI curve from tarbat's tests would be an over brightened image that is extremely washed out. 

OK maybe not quite as good as a disk but pretty close.  Much better than Netflix or Amazon streams.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that last opinion :). Netflix and Amazon are going to be using the correct curve for their format (ie PQ for HDR10), without any jiggery-pokery.

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:
Judging by the HLG via HDMI curve from your tests, there should be extreme over brightening that produces a very washed out image. I've experienced none of that. The image looks 100% identical to the same content via the internal app.

I wouldn't say "extreme over brightening", but yes, a washed out image is what I was seeing when streaming iPlayer HLG content from the Roku Stick+. The comparison of EOTF curves between the KS TV (bottom) and an MU6400 TV (top) is obvious:

1.jpg

Tested on each TV using the same methodology, by injecting HLG metadata:

87:01:1a:6d:03:00:3e:21:91:9b:aa:19:f7:08:43:8a:08:39:13:3d:42:40:e8:03:00:00:e8:03:e8:03

Definitely looks like some sort of issue with the way the devices interact. Since the only common factor is the HDFury, that's probably where the issue lies (probably with the infoframe.) The Chromecast Ultra caused issues with HDR content on certain TVs as well, because it was sending the incorrect metadata, and it produced a very washed out image.

The KS8000 has the correct HLG curve for its internal apps, so there's no reason why it would use a different curve for external devices. As I said, the M9500 player produces an image that is identical to the internal apps.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:

The effect of the HLG via HDMI curve from tarbat's tests would be an over brightened image that is extremely washed out. 

OK maybe not quite as good as a disk but pretty close.  Much better than Netflix or Amazon streams.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that last opinion :). Netflix and Amazon are going to be using the correct curve for their format (ie PQ for HDR10), without any jiggery-pokery.

Let's agree to disagree on this. I can only judge with my eyes and in my opinion Dynasties looks better than Netflix or Amazon HDR UHD. Albeit many shows in HDR from the streaming giants are excellent. 

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

I've noticed something kinda odd with the 4k firestick, it seems constantly put the TV into 'HDR' mode i.e. changing the default settings to 20 back light etc regardless of the source material. The only time I find it not doing it is when using iPlayer... where it maintains the default settings. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

Good news guys! So I checked in on the Italian forum and saw that the moderator had said the FW is being released by Samsung as from this morning and that people should contact them. So I have and they're sending me out the update on a USB, but could take 5-7 days although hopefully sooner. It was specifically stated that the update allows HDR and HLG via inputs.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

Good news guys! So I checked in on the Italian forum and saw that the moderator had said the FW is being released by Samsung as from this morning and that people should contact them. So I have and they're sending me out the update on a USB, but could take 5-7 days although hopefully sooner. It was specifically stated that the update allows HDR and HLG via inputs.

Ok sounds good.

If Samsung are releasing this why are you getting it on a USB?  Won't it be released OTA and also via Samsung's web site?  Who do we contact to get this? Not via the Italian forum as I can't join due to strange anti spam question on registration. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@blenky wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

Ok sounds good.

If Samsung are releasing this why are you getting it on a USB?  Won't it be released OTA and also via Samsung's web site?  Who do we contact to get this? Not via the Italian forum as I can't join due to strange anti spam question on registration. 

So can we have the link so we can ask for the firmware? 

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

Whilst that is great news, I don't know why Samsung don't upload the update to their website at the very least - rather than send out multiple USB's with it. It makes more sense to make it available for all to download and manually install - if they aren't planning to release it OTA.

Could you please provide the method/link to the method used to contact Samsung. I am fed up with talking to Samsung support as the person rarely knows anything and feel they are nothing more than telephone operatives, PR in place to talk to customers rather than knowledgeable 'support' staff with the required information to actually 'support' customers. I know its difficult to have all the information to hand about every product and the knowledge to actually help people but its still frustrating to talk to someone who has no knowledge of things - like providing a USB update for KS TV's and don't want to spend hours trying to get to talk to the right people that do.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

Whilst that is great news, I don't know why Samsung don't upload the update to their website at the very least - rather than send out multiple USB's with it. It makes more sense to make it available for all to download and manually install - if they aren't planning to release it OTA.

Could you please provide the method/link to the method used to contact Samsung. I am fed up with talking to Samsung support as the person rarely knows anything and feel they are nothing more than telephone operatives, PR in place to talk to customers rather than knowledgeable 'support' staff with the required information to actually 'support' customers. I know its difficult to have all the information to hand about every product and the knowledge to actually help people but its still frustrating to talk to someone who has no knowledge of things - like providing a USB update for KS TV's and don't want to spend hours trying to get to talk to the right people that do.

It does seem odd,  especially that the mods here do not have any information which if they had I am sure they would share. I would also agree when people say they have seen this or have a link to updates then please share. 

0 Likes