Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 21-02-2019 06:27 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Blacko
Apprentice
Options

Hi all, I'm not even sure how to post here, so apologies if I've done this wrong, anyway, I've received from Samsung a USB stick with 1239 on it or at least 1.25gb of firmware, but it won't install I get a message saying I've got the latest firmware 1231 in my case. Samsung are going to send me another stick but in case I'm doing something stupid ( not unknown) could someone who has installed 1239 tell me the steps they took.

Thanks in advance set 65ks9500

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

@Blacko wrote:

Hi all, I'm not even sure how to post here, so apologies if I've done this wrong, anyway, I've received from Samsung a USB stick with 1239 on it or at least 1.25gb of firmware, but it won't install I get a message saying I've got the latest firmware 1231 in my case. Samsung are going to send me another stick but in case I'm doing something stupid ( not unknown) could someone who has installed 1239 tell me the steps they took.

Sounds like your tv is looking online as the latest would be 1231. You should have an option ( after plugging in the usb stick) to look for an update on USB. That’s how I did mine and it was quite straight forward. 

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Blacko wrote:

You've probably said 'no' when the prompt for 'New USB detected - Search?'

Either that or stick the USB in a PC and see if it's recognised, might be a broken one.

0 Likes
Blacko
Apprentice
Options

May I say thank you all for replying, I did get search USB for update but when selected it would tell me that I had the latest firmware and was also given the option of browse which took me to the stick and no joy of course.

I've not had a lot of luck with this, the first envelope arrived with a slit of in the side of it and no stick inside. This stick is therefore  no.2 and I'm now awaiting  no.3. Ah well 3rd time lucky.

Apart from that I've got sky HD and having  tweaked the settings over the months I often sit and wonder how much better can it get tho' I've got to say some you tube 4k are really good

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Perhaps it is a  faulty USB stick, as already suggested check if it is recognised on PC.

Whilst it may seem obvious, just checking you are following this procedure when updating via USB:

Update the TV

Press the "Menu" button on your TV's remote control. Select "Support" from the menu and press the "Enter" button on your remote.

Select "Software Upgrade" from the list and press the "Enter" button. Choose "By USB" from the list. Your TV will  then search the USB drive for a the ppropriate software updates.

You will then need to click "OK" when the TV prompts you to update your TV's device software. Your model will upgrade to the new version of software and will automatically turn off and back on when the upgrade is complete.   You can check the software on your Tv via Support.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
AndyC
Journeyman
Options

I requested the 1239 usb stick and had the same issue with updating.  Upon examining the contents of the USB, it was 1231 that they had sent! Very annoying. 

Crewsader
First Poster
Options

AndyC - I have had exactly the same situation happen this week (Samsung supposed to send 1239 on a USB, but sent 1231 instead). Their support operation is on par with their technical division, it seems.

0 Likes
Gimpfont
Explorer
Options

I've seen that BT are saying 2019 is the year their 4k UHD sport channel becomes HDR and it will also be in 4k HDR on their app too (which is on samsung TVs, xbox one etc..) 

I wonder what format this will be in and if our TVs will be able to play it? I'm assuming it will have to be in HLG if it is live HDR content? If so, with the software update we should be good to go for our first 4k HDR channel from a set top box.

0 Likes
AndyC
Journeyman
Options

Hi

I believe the update only supports HLG via HDMI inputs only......

0 Likes
Gimpfont
Explorer
Options

I belive our TVs already support HLG via internal apps (i.e. Youtube). The iPlayer issue was something more complicated.

With this hdmi support  I am hoping  I can watch their live HDR channel when it comes out later this year (albeit with a new BT box that is HDR compatible). Unsure if their app will work with HDR on the TV itself.

0 Likes