Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-12-2018 07:35 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Wally12
Explorer
Options

My original request for USB stick was 28 Nov.

Did not arrive so rang them 11 Dec - was wrongly addressed.

Said they would send another.

Nothing by 19th Dec so rang them again, said dispatched 18th Dec.

Arrived today 20th - wrongly addressed but enough for the postman.

Motto - worth persevering!

I'll load it up tonight.

0 Likes
Wally12
Explorer
Options
Loaded up OK . Now waiting for Sky Q to launch HDR.
0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Thinking of doing what pleases I put the link to DIGITAL-FORUM for download the 1239 firmware versions directly

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?194610-Sky-4K-su-Sky-Q-valutazioni-tecniche-e-domande-su...

Saverio Casadidio
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Impulsively bought philips oled 803 and sold the ks7000 to a friend. I hope the ks and hlg works for everyone when released. The philips oled with ambilight is great and hope sky q works on this set when they do hdr! 

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@shimceltic wrote:

Impulsively bought philips oled 803 and sold the ks7000 to a friend. I hope the ks and hlg works for everyone when released. The philips oled with ambilight is great and hope sky q works on this set when they do hdr! 

I've been musing about buying the 803. It gets terrific writeups. How are you finding it in comparrison to the Samsung?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@shimceltic wrote:

I've been musing about buying the 803. It gets terrific writeups. How are you finding it in comparrison to the Samsung?

Hi,  I got the 65 c8 and not disappointed. Even better it sends Dolby atmos through to my surround sound receiver,  and normal tv sound is good.  

The colors just look richer,  Netflix is brill. I found with the Samsung q900r 8 k telly in HDR over bright but not with the c8,  just looks more natural.  

Just my personal opinion as I have had this tv for a month now,  and the settings out of the box. 

deaglun
Explorer
Options

I was wondering if someone could help. I've finally got round to updating the TV firmware. But when I use iplayer beta (Dynasties UHD) on my roku streaming stick+, HDR is not being enabled. Before the streaming stick took a firmware update a few weeks back (and before I updated the TV's firmware), it was showing with HDR.

Have the BBC dropped the streaming stick from its HDR list, or is there an issue with my firmware? Netflix on the Roku is enabling HDR properly.

0 Likes
deaglun
Explorer
Options

ah, I sorted it by switching hdmi sockets. It turns out hdmi4 doesnt support hdr at 60hz or hlg for some reason. Weird! I've put the roku in hdmi1 and everything is working fine and looks amazing.

shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Sky q looks better . Darker blacks adds more depth  It still has plenty of brightness. Motion is fine. Wasn't expecting too much but very happy with the purchase.. Ambilight is great 

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

There is one massive fundamental flaw. It ignores HDR metadata, and its tone-mapping doesn't change between tone-mapping 4,000 nits or 1,000 nits. This is huge!

It has a menu where you are expected to switch manually, and you're expected to know for yourself whether the content is 4,000 nits or 1,000 nits - instead of the TV actually reading the metadata and using it.

The whole ****ing POINT of metadata is to help TVs tone-map correctly because they aren't yet 1,000 or 4,000 or 10,000 nits.

Content is not labelled in a consumer-friendly way telling you "this is mastered to 4,000 nits" or "this is mastered to 1,000 nits". "please switch the mode on your TV". Ludicrous. It's way too technical. No other manufacturer does this. EVERY other manufacturer changes the tone-mapping depending on the metadata.

This is inexcusable, and Vincent called them out on it (15minutes into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2EZ31lTcM )

For this reason alone I personally wouldn't touch it.