Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 28-11-2018 10:42 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
stevej190
Pioneer
Options
This is all very good news, at long last.
I rang Samsung this morning and a USB is on the way, seems an odd way of doing it from an economy perspective but hey ho all the same.
Regarding the Roku+ stick, is the Amazon app now HDR compliant? When I bought mine back in June it wasn't, although the Netflix app was. Can someone check theirs for me?
0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options

Hi did anyone get an email in German from DHL about a delivery ? Just wondering if this is the USB stick or just spam?? 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@stevej190 wrote:
This is all very good news, at long last.
I rang Samsung this morning and a USB is on the way, seems an odd way of doing it from an economy perspective but hey ho all the same.
Regarding the Roku+ stick, is the Amazon app now HDR compliant? When I bought mine back in June it wasn't, although the Netflix app was. Can someone check theirs for me?

Yes the app got updated a few weeks ago. 

rozel
Voyager
Options

I have the 1239 firmware installed and would like to test it.  Is there anyway to test using the Roku+ ?  Do I have to be a subscriber to Amazon to test ?

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

@rozel wrote:

I have the 1239 firmware installed and would like to test it.  Is there anyway to test using the Roku+ ?  Do I have to be a subscriber to Amazon to test ?

No Amazon don't use HLG, you can only test it with a 4k virgin box at the moment as that kicks out HLG on its iplayer app

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Ok but will watching the BBC iPlayer (Dynasties) on the Roku+  look any different now the TV has been updated for HLG?

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

@rozel wrote:

Ok but will watching the BBC iPlayer (Dynasties) on the Roku+  look any different now the TV has been updated for HLG?

I doubt it, I ve watched them on my Roku and thought they looked terrific, same as the world cup. I havent experienced any washed out colours and I watch alot of HDR content so would hope I would spot it if something was amiss.

0 Likes
PM06
Journeyman
Options

Heads up Roku software just updated to sw version 9 build 4072 no longer displays hdr only 4k uhd tv software is 1231 has this been done as a result of tv software update 1239

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi guys.  

Looks like the news is already out there, but for those needing a more official confirmation of things:

HLG via HDMI port support for UK 2016 UHD KS and KU models is in firmware version 1239.1 for those models.

(KS Models: T-JZMDEUC-1239.1; KU Models: T-JZL6DEUC-1239.1; to give their full versions.)

That firmware is planned for definite release on our website and OTN - but no timescale for that at this time.

Also, confirmation that this doesn’t have any effect for the native BBC iPlayer app on those models.

As support etc. is localised, I’m unable to speak for what’s going on in other countries or regions. If you’re non-UK or Ireland, the best thing to do is to get in touch with your local Support for further advice and info.

Thankyou for the clear confirmation. I've emphasised the most important thing. I don't understand the delay putting a file on a website: it's ludicrous to force people to individually order USB sticks sent in the post - but as long as the delay is only a few days, that's fine.

When, and only when, that firmware is updated on the website, then in my opinion Samsung will have finally, belatedly, fullfilled their promise to "upgrade the KS range to support HLG". It is, and always was, false and dishonest to attempt to re-write history and pretend that the promise didn't apply to HDMI inputs. Sending people files by snail mail should only been seen as a temporary stop-gap of course.

(For newbies: we already know that the lack of support for DVB-DASH (caused by the use of an old Encryption Media Extension library in the TV's Tizen OS which cannot be upgraded as a firmware upgrade) in ALL internal apps including iPlayer is a separate problem. We know that was doomed and set in stone before the first model ever rolled off the production line.)

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

Someone with a meter will have to carry out tests and see if HLG from HDMI now uses the correct EOTF curve. Can't be me this time I'm afraid as I no longer own this TV.

0 Likes