Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 27-11-2018 04:00 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:
I'm wondering if this is still a preview firmware, since they are only giving it away by USB to only those who ask for it.

It's now available for download from the Samsung website here https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE49KS7000UXXU/

If you have a different model then probably look that one up to be sure.

That's 1231. An old version.

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:
I'm wondering if this is still a preview firmware, since they are only giving it away by USB to only those who ask for it.

It's now available for download from the Samsung website here https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE49KS7000UXXU/

If you have a different model then probably look that one up to be sure.

That's 1231. An old version.

Oh right you are, just saw that it was dated today so assumed was the new one... odd

0 Likes
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Just ordered the USB via Web chat. Now just need sky to send hdr to the box! 

0 Likes
SmartHUBtv
Pioneer
Options

hello guys, W  ERCOLINO, Samsung and sky Italy who tested the firmware this summer with the sky q

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options
For those with the new firmware who are also subscribed to Amazon Prime, try checking out some of their HDR content to see if this firmware adds HDR10+. Even if there is no HDR10+ indicator, it wouldn't hurt to see if you notice any difference in image quality.
0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:
For those with the new firmware who are also subscribed to Amazon Prime, try checking out some of their HDR content to see if this firmware adds HDR10+. Even if there is no HDR10+ indicator, it wouldn't hurt to see if you notice any difference in image quality.

Its to fix HLG over HDMI.  Don't think it would add anything to with HDR10+.  Anyway I played Jack Ryan via the Roku+ Amazon player and it looked exactly the same - that is overstaurated!

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

ERCOLINO informs you that the HDR10 + will not be implemented on the 2016 models. Only from 2017

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:

HDR10+ Isn't possible with any of the KS sets, much for the same reason internal HLG isn't possible.

The set is still in Samsung's terms, obsolete, and doesn't support the right API's to make it work.

That said the 1239 firmware does seem to go a long way to fixing some of the other problems with HDR10 content. It's the real deal, and works rather well.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:

HDR10+ Isn't possible with any of the KS sets, much for the same reason internal HLG isn't possible.

The set is still in Samsung's terms, obsolete, and doesn't support the right API's to make it work.

That said the 1239 firmware does seem to go a long way to fixing some of the other problems with HDR10 content. It's the real deal, and works rather well.

What do you mean "does seem to go a long way to fixing some of the other problems with HDR10 content".

stevej190
Pioneer
Options

This is all very good news, at long last. 

I rang Samsung this morning and a USB is on the way, seems an odd way of doing it from an economy perspective but hey ho all the same.

Regarding the Roku+ stick, is the Amazon app now HDR compliant? When I bought mine back in June it wasn't, although the Netflix app was. Can someone check theirs for me?

0 Likes