Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-11-2018 05:38 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

Sorry not been home to be able to check but yesterday HDR did 100% engage on the trial loop of Blue Planet, did not engage on the Football loop and also not on Dynasties UHD. 

So maybe it engaging on Blue Planet was just a blip. 

On a side note the guy on the Italian forum with the FW updates this evening has said "For those who have the Samsung 2016 KU-KS warm up the engines, stay nearby "

But is then asking people to PM him model of the TV, so maybe will not be made widely available...?

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?194610-Sky-4K-su-Sky-Q-valutazioni-tecniche-e-domande-su...

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

Sorry not been home to be able to check but yesterday HDR did 100% engage on the trial loop of Blue Planet, did not engage on the Football loop and also not on Dynasties UHD. 

So maybe it engaging on Blue Planet was just a blip. 

On a side note the guy on the Italian forum with the FW updates this evening has said "For those who have the Samsung 2016 KU-KS warm up the engines, stay nearby "

But is then asking people to PM him model of the TV, so maybe will not be made widely available...?

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?194610-Sky-4K-su-Sky-Q-valutazioni-tecniche-e-domande-su...

edit:

Just checked forum again and the person asking for PM (Ercolino ) for the firmware seems to have limited his responses and not doing anymore.  Current last post is interesting - note firmware number.  Translated by Google

o ... first of all a huge THANK YOU to Ercolino !!! 
My Samsung UE55KU6050 TV is updated to the T-JZL6DEUC-1239.1 version. 
The SkyQ is set to 2160p 4K HDR resolution and I'm watching a 4K movie without any problem. 
From a first quick test on the football channels (of course they are in HD) I do not know any color shot, indeed you see really well. 
Obviously I look forward to making my ratings. 
Ask for any tests. 
W DIGITAL FORUM EW ERCOLINO !!!

Is this an official firmware or something knocked up by Ercolino?  

0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options

Screenshot_20181122-183536.png

🙏

0 Likes
cattv1
Explorer
Options

Thanks

When we started this thread it was about displaying a 4K picture from the Iplayer  and Samsumgs reluctance to update the onboard software.

The Amazon stick appears to  be a cheap method of achieving this aim even if not  in the HLG format.

There is  currentlyonly  one 4K program on the Iplayer so perhaps the whole exercise is rather academic.

A plus side of using the stick is that it is far quicker than the built in software.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@cattv1 wrote:

Thanks

When we started this thread it was about displaying a 4K picture from the Iplayer  and Samsumgs reluctance to update the onboard software.

The Amazon stick appears to  be a cheap method of achieving this aim even if not  in the HLG format.

There is  currentlyonly  one 4K program on the Iplayer so perhaps the whole exercise is rather academic.

A plus side of using the stick is that it is far quicker than the built in software.

The firmware that is being discussed on the Italian thread would enable any connected HDMI device to send HLG HDR to our TV's.  Using a Roku+ (HLG from iPlayer) or the Firestick (4K only) restricts us to those devices.

I do't understand from the Italian forum if this is an official firmware or not.  Will it ever see the light of day outside the chosen few on that forum?

0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options
My hope in I'll enjoy the iplayer 4k hgl on my sky q box when and if the box and my ks8000 are ever updated the sky 🇮🇹 seems hopeful anyway
0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options
Send me Pm

That's sounds weird on the forum hopefully official no some work around
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@blenky wrote:

@cattv1 wrote:

Thanks

The firmware that is being discussed on the Italian thread would enable any connected HDMI device to send HLG HDR to our TV's.  Using a Roku+ (HLG from iPlayer) or the Firestick (4K only) restricts us to those devices.

I do't understand from the Italian forum if this is an official firmware or not.  Will it ever see the light of day outside the chosen few on that forum?

We have been hearing for a long time from our Italian friend about an update and it has not happened. I would take anything they say with a pinch of salt. @paul1111 was given some hassle when he question them saying you could get HLG over HDMI and they even said they were watching a satalite feed using a set box connected via hdmi, only for them to say a couple of months later that you can not get HLG over HDMI. There have been lots of rumurs from them about possible updates for Sky Italia but none have worked on the KS. I think unless it comes from an official source like the moderators here, one should take any thing else with a pinch of salt.

It does look like are not doing any update at all and it would be nice of them to admit this like they did with the smart things dongle and BBC Iplayer.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/m-p/358806#M14715

Paul

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

I communicate that the firmware that enables HLG on the HDMI port was released in Italy for the 2016 TV. For now, thanks to the time dedicated to us by ERCOLINO of Digital forum, the firmware has been given exclusively to users of that forum who have requested it.

I've tested it and it works perfectly.

Saverio Casadidio
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

I communicate that the firmware that enables HLG on the HDMI port was released in Italy for the 2016 TV. For now, thanks to the time dedicated to us by ERCOLINO of Digital forum, the firmware (1239) has been given exclusively to users of that forum who have requested it.

I've tested it and it works perfectly.

Very very odd!!  So you can only get it from a forum. Never heard of that before. Can you give us a ling to that forum and to the actual firmware so we can all enjoy it.

Not holding my breath.

0 Likes