Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-11-2018 12:11 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@blenky wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

@cattv1 wrote:

I have just started to test the new Amazon 4K stick with my J series Tv.

The picture quality on the 4k Dynasties is a big improvement over the HD Iplayer built into the Samsung. The Iplayer is also far quicker.

When I press the info button on the Samsung remote it always displays 3180X2160/60p  even when playing non 4K videos fromthe Iplayer/Amazon and Netflix despite setting the stick to ouput at the resolution of the source material.

It is not clear if the false information is being generated by the stick or by the tv.

Has anyone else tested the 4K Amazon stick ??

Yeah I just got the 4k stick also, seems to default to 3480x2160 60p for everything with the setting at auto. I tried the 'Match Refresh Rate' but seems to stay the same as you say. I did however try changing the output to fixed 2160 50p which does change to info output on the TV to 3480x2160 50p.

I tried the test loop on iPlayer which was on Blue Planet and it did switch to HDR settings. No idea if HLG was working or not, not sure how to tell...? 

If HDR is engaing it shows that the HLG is being passed over HDMI from the Firestick.  Do you have a KS\JS TV?

I have the KS7000

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

So are we saying here that the Amazon 4K firestick behaves the same as the Roku+ by sending HLG via HDMI to KS\JS series?  That would be odd as its not on the list of supported devices.

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@blenky wrote:

So are we saying here that the Amazon 4K firestick behaves the same as the Roku+ by sending HLG via HDMI to KS\JS series?  That would be odd as its not on the list of supported devices.

Hmmm inconclusive... I've just tried again and it is now a loop of fa cup football and HDR doesn't engage. This morning on blue planet it did however the BBC watermark on the loop also said "HLG" and "UHD" underneath. The football loop just says "BBC". 

Will try again tomorrow and see if blue planet is back.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

@blenky wrote:

Hmmm inconclusive... I've just tried again and it is now a loop of fa cup football and HDR doesn't engage. This morning on blue planet it did however the BBC watermark on the loop also said "HLG" and "UHD" underneath. The football loop just says "BBC". 

Dynasties is in HILG  4K on Iplayse

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

@blenky wrote:

On iPlayer go to the Categories at the top and then select Documentaries.  You may need to scroll right a bit but you should see UHD Dynasties.  Could you report back as soon as you can as currently these are on offer at £34.99 on Amazon! Thanks.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

@blenky wrote:

The watermark is burned into the footage you cannot use this as an indicator of what the TV is actually showing. It would still be there even if it is SDR

cheers

0 Likes
PeteDansk
Explorer
Options

I have the ks7000 and can confirm that HLG doesn't work on the new 4K firestick. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@PeteDansk wrote:

I have the ks7000 and can confirm that HLG doesn't work on the new 4K firestick. 

Hi if you are still waiting for the free smart things USB dongle to enable the TV to the internet hub then Samsung have said they are not supplying it,  which if your retailer advertised it then that is misrepresentation and you are entitled to a full refund. More info on these forums,  on ks owners refund,  a more condensed thread  is ks owners refund more info,  and the ks owners results thread show how we are doing. 

Paul

0 Likes
cattv1
Explorer
Options

I am rather confused.

I have watched two episodes of Dynasties on the Iplayer selecting the UHD version on the 4K Amazon  stick  attached to my J series TV.   I have switched back and  forth to the same program on the  Iplayer built into the TV   (standard version)   and the  Amazon stick picture is far more detailed.  When I pause the stick the words UHD appear beside the time stats.

Are you suggesting that the picture is not actally in 4K ???

Thanks 

0 Likes
PeteDansk
Explorer
Options

Yes on the stick it is indeed 4K/UHD but not HLG.

0 Likes