Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-10-2018 06:03 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Yes I believe the gamma curve that was wrong on the hd fury and also a roku was also parent on 2018 TVs as well

i hope they fixed this at the same time probably on the 2018 TVs and it was a case of using this on the 2016 TVs 

no no doubt sky who wer testing the update would have spotted if the gamma curve was incorrect

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

This is really exciting news! Thanks for sharing your update @Saverio571

0 Likes
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

Just upgraded the firmware from 1222 to 1230.5 via usb stick on the UE43KS7500U. Firmware release was 12/9/18.

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Sorry but wha does this mean? Are all our worries about the KS series over and we can look forward to receiving hlg over hdmi and our apps gettin refreshed? Perhaps not iPlayer but is there a chance of this happening? I’m confused as people are a saying this is good news and whole reason for this thread is regarding our KS TVS not being updated for hlg.so we have finally got what we wanted?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Sorry but wha does this mean? Are all our worries about the KS series over and we can look forward to receiving hlg over hdmi and our apps gettin refreshed? Perhaps not iPlayer but is there a chance of this happening? I’m confused as people are a saying this is good news and whole reason for this thread is regarding our KS TVS not being updated for hlg.so we have finally got what we wanted?

It appears that Samsung has been working with Sky Italia to fix HLG over HDMI to allow the KS (and others?) range work with Sky Q HLG HDR.  From what I can ascertain the knock on effect would be a general fix HLG over HDMI for all conncted devices.  This would mean that, for example, the Virgin Media V6 would be able to send HLG to the KS whenever the BBC continue with there UHD HDR trials.  Apps would not need to be refreshed as HLG is already supported in apps such as YouTube but will never work on the internal iPlayer app.

ad1994
Pioneer
Options

Does anyone have an idea of what TV I could get that is around the £1000 mark that are an upgrade from the KS7500?

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@ad1994 wrote:

Does anyone have an idea of what TV I could get that is around the £1000 mark that are an upgrade from the KS7500?

I am assuming you are talking 55inch?  If so then you will struggle, closest of the 2018 TVs would probably be the Sony xf9005 which is £1200ish and even then I expect the upgrade to be marginal at best. You may get lucky though and find a store which still has stock of some 2017 oleds. These will be a decent upgrade, again you are talking approx £1200 

cheers

0 Likes
ad1994
Pioneer
Options

My current is only 43 inch, so I've got a bit of wiggle room

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ad1994 wrote:

Have you looked on the ks owners refund more info thread?  Might give you some options. 

ad1994
Pioneer
Options

I'll take another look! Managed to get offered £540 off Curry's, but I want to try and push for a full £700 then get a new TV. Going to post all my material on their too, fed up of Curry's