Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 12-09-2018 04:13 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

I guess the easiest way to test it would be to install it and then check the Sky box status using the IP tool (or whatever it was I can't quite remember) that lists whether the Sky box is connented to a HLG enabled TV. 

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Two days ago Sky has received a new firmware for test HLG on HDMI.
Saverio Casadidio
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:
Is not the firmware for HLG on HDMI. Sky Italia was testing this firmware.

I guess there is no way of knowing what this firmware upgrade includes. Samsung never provide release Notes.  @AntS are you able to obtain the release note for this upgrade?

I'm sure @AntS will confirm but doubt this will be possible at the present time.

Previous post mentioned  he had  asked if detailed firmware notes could be released in the future, due to the demand.

Firmware Log   7th post on this page.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

@Jay108: I can confirm what @JAMES4578 said. Beyond a very generic overview, we're currently unable to publish release notes - but I'm seeing what we can do to change that for the future as I think more info on firmware changes would be a good thing for everyone.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@AntS wrote:

@Jay108: I can confirm what @JAMES4578 said. Beyond a very generic overview, we're currently unable to publish release notes - but I'm seeing what we can do to change that for the future as I think more info on firmware changes would be a good thing for everyone.

Thanks @AntS. Do we have a very generic view that you can share with us? Thank again Jay.

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

I'm in the UK & no update showing up for me on my KS9000.

Would be nice if Samsung actually told us what changes were made.

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
hazeldene2
First Poster
Options

I have updated to 1230.5 on my 65KS7500 and I have no problems so far. I got it from the UK support website today.

Need more time to work out the changes.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The BBC claims it has solved the streaming lag which affects internet broadcasts,such as their their Iplayer UHD services for the World Cup and Wimbledon.  However it will be some time before the technology is widely available. 

BBCStreaming lag  CSI-Low Latency Video    BBC Research

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

I installed the update last night and checked the Sky Q box status using that web socket client method, it's still showing HLG sink FALSE so this DOESN'T fix the HLG over HDMI issue.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

I installed the update last night and checked the Sky Q box status using that web socket client method, it's still showing HLG sink FALSE so this DOESN'T fix the HLG over HDMI issue.

Same here - tested with Virgin Media iPlayer UHD test loop.  Still UHD only - no HLG.  I wonder what this firmware is for!!!