Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 13-07-2018 04:00 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
BobL
Journeyman
Options

I take the points made by @Moily  et al. I am on my third replacement Superhub 3.0 in as many months and clearly it is not up to the task. Even now it often needs a reboot and often drops the Internet.  I know I could switch it to modem only and get a better router but add that to the cost of the Roku  and I have sort of lost the cost-benefit of getting streamed 'UHD' onto my Samsung K series TV especially as content is still thin on the ground (notwithstanding the current BBC Beta trial).  I will have a look at the VM V6 UHD capability and will probably make do with that until I buy a fully UHD compliant TV.  As far as the Roku settings are concerned I had tried all combinations including 'Auto' but the resulting picture was still not as good or stable as I was hoping for. Couple this with the occasional need to power cycle the Roku or toggle it in and out of standby to get it working, it all gets too flaky, perhaps not for me but certainly for the less techy others in the household.  Like @Moily I look forward to a day when I can justify buying a TV with more UHD capabilities than the Samsung K series, currently an LG seems a good choice.  I do understand that the newer Samsung TVs have better UHD compatibility but I would look at others first based on the K series experience. 

0 Likes
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

That's fair enough, Bob. What I would say is that it's worth getting a separate router anyway if you have a few internet-enabled devices in your household as you'll likely find that when streaming UHD via the V6 box it will ***** out the rest of your network.

Virgin are like Samsung - fully aware they've sold a flawed product but will try and ride it out in the hope that their customers put up with it. The broadband is actually decent once you demote the SH to being a modem but as you've noted we shouldn't have to shell out £100 for buying a router on top of what we're paying Virgin.

Moily
Pathfinder
Options

Really?  C-rap is starred out?!

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Moily wrote:

Wash out your potty mouth! LOL. Have you switched from the 5G band to the 2G band. That fixed it for me instantly.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

And by all accounts those lovely 4k discs are gimped as well. 😞

What do you mean? Scientific technical details please, I haven't read anything negative about the bbc's HDR 4k blu-rays :smiling-face:

EDIT: I remember one negative thing. Americans whinging, with unrealistic expectations, that some of the footage in Planet Earth 2 (filmed over a period of many, many years, ie some started before 4k was around) was filmed on GoPros and scaled up from HD.

Ah, no, I read couple of posts saying the encode itself is b0rked, but I can't remember where I read them. 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Moily wrote:

You should have been here at Xmas when the word "here" was being censored. I had to use 'ere. Samsung's software is very sensitive and doesn't like bad words, clearly :smiling-face:

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

And by all accounts those lovely 4k discs are gimped as well. 😞

What do you mean? Scientific technical details please, I haven't read anything negative about the bbc's HDR 4k blu-rays :smiling-face:

EDIT: I remember one negative thing. Americans whinging, with unrealistic expectations, that some of the footage in Planet Earth 2 (filmed over a period of many, many years, ie some started before 4k was around) was filmed on GoPros and scaled up from HD.

Ah, no, I read couple of posts saying the encode itself is b0rked, but I can't remember where I read them. 

ok. All I can say to that is that "it looks amazing to me", and it was reviewed under great scrutiny by experts who didn't point out anything like that :smiling-face:

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

Some interesting information regarding the Samsung M9500 blu ray player. I now believe that HDR10+ has indeed been added to this player in the latest update.

The player has more detailed information than the TV regarding the source as well as what is being displayed - things like color space, codec, whether it's HDR or SDR, information about audio, etc. Anyways, prior to the latest firmware update, it would only say if a disc was HDR, but would not specify what HDR format. After the update, it specifically states that a disc is HDR10. I believe this change was made to differentiate between HDR10 and HDR10+.

The nice thing about this is that info is displayed about the source as well as what is actually displayed by the TV. So even if the TV does not support HDR10+, I can still see if a disc contains HDR10+ (if they ever actually release any.)

Gtramsey2000
Journeyman
Options

Speaking as a KS7000 owner, the mention of HDR10+ is still a bitter subject

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Samsung were dishonest about HDR10+, but it shouldn't be bitter now - because it turns out tat there is zero HDR10Plus content. NONE!

We've been hearing about it at trade shows for almost two years now - and yet, it's the only format with not one single downloadable demo in the entire world. Not ONE! But there are loads of Dolby Vision demos (pronounced "dole-bee" if you're American - yes I was shocked to hear it too). Because Dolby WANT you to see their format.

There have been several Samsung press releases claiming Amazon were streaming HDR10+, but they are all baseless. Amazon's own help page (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201648150&sa-no-redirect=1) says that "If your television is compatible, and the Prime Video title supports it, an "HDR10+" label appears instead of the normal "HDR" label in the video details.".

Not one user has ever seen that HDR10+ label appear in Amazon's app on their Samsung 2017/8 model TV

There is zero proof whatsoever that Amazon are streaming it, because both Amazon and Samsung are behaving badly:

1. Samsung refuses to update their 2017/2018 TVs such that, when it's getting HDR10+, it TELLS the viewer it is (a bit like that very annoying "an HDR video is playing" slide-down banner. Remember, this is a TV app NOT a HDMI input - so you can't use the "info" banner on the TV.

2. Amazon refuses to use the HDR10+ logo on the Info page for a programme, and the playback progess bar. 

So Samsung and Amazon deserve each other, quite frankly, and if either of them expect viewers to get excited about a format which they can't even tell the users they are delivering, they are deluded.

HDR10+ effectively is vapourware - so not at all worth getting upset about :smiling-face:

@UHDHDR, perhaps you could try out the Amazon Video app on this player which has the extra picture info? See if their brash and unlikely claims about streaming HDR10+ are true? I'd like to be proven wrong, because we'd have an actual answer. It may be the first way anyone can actually test if HDR10Plus is being output down the HDMI cable.