Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 29-06-2018 12:55 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
JTE
Navigator
Options

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@ne_on wrote:

BT

Mercury.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@JTE wrote:

Honestly can’t comment further. I will give confirmation regarding Samsung J series once tested as I will be going straight to small claims court if it does work via HDMI. I will let forum know full details following trial which any commercial company would be mad not to relaese while World Cup and then Wimbledon trials with BBC are ongoing.

If you've signed an NDA perhaps it was unfortunate you told us in the first place!

But I was looking at that new Amazon thing as it apparently does do HDR.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Forget that! "Quite literally, the device is Amazon's 2017 Fire TV with more storage and a built-in Echo Dot". from (https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/26/review-amazons-fire-tv-cube-isnt-that-much-better-than-ol...)

I bought a 2017 Fire TV, and it does to HDR on YouTube, but NOT for 60Hz. 

No 4k iPlayer, either HDR or SDR.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Forget that! "Quite literally, the device is Amazon's 2017 Fire TV with more storage and a built-in Echo Dot". from (https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/26/review-amazons-fire-tv-cube-isnt-that-much-better-than-ol...)

I bought a 2017 Fire TV, and it does to HDR on YouTube, but NOT for 60Hz. 

No 4k iPlayer, either HDR or SDR.

Oh, really? That's a bummer.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Indeed, and it's worse than that actually because although I mentioned YouTube, I forgot to mention that I am being used as a weapon in the feud between Google and Amazon. Along with and all other owners of the Amazon Fire family products.

Google have removed the YouTube app from the platform, like a petulant child. The YouTube website running inside a browser inside the FireTV is not as good, it's a lot worse.

The whole sorry tale here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42511363 and you'll see from the date that it's dragged on for 6 months now.

ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Quick question regarding the issue about swapping hdmi inputs to get correct colour space.

Given the assumption we came to that it’s a tv fault. Does this mean I have to do the same when watching a 4k blu on my Xbox one x. I’ve never done it before but since I got the roku it’s got me thinking. I’ve never really noticed anything wrong with the colour on the Xbox. Nothing close to what goes on with the Roku anyway

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Quick question regarding the issue about swapping hdmi inputs to get correct colour space.

Given the assumption we came to that it’s a tv fault. Does this mean I have to do the same when watching a 4k blu on my Xbox one x. I’ve never done it before but since I got the roku it’s got me thinking. I’ve never really noticed anything wrong with the colour on the Xbox. Nothing close to what goes on with the Roku anyway

I think the issue is with HLG via HDMI and not HDR10.  However the HLG via the Roku+ an my KS TV looks great even if it is not correct!

ne_on
Pioneer
Options
Thanks @Blenky
Another thing. Are any of us familiar with Xbox One x settings. Colour depth in particular. I have a ks7000. In my Xbox settings I set the colour depth at 8bit. So sdr content is as accurate as possible. How it was meant to be seen.
I’m under the impression that the Xbox one automatically switches to 10 bit once view a hdr source such as blu Ray film or game even if I set the Xbox to 8 bit. Surely hdr10 content can only be viewed with 10bit processing.
The tv does go in to hdr mode when viewing a correct source so does this confirm my assumption? Also, am I required to enable ycc 4.2.2 on my display. I’ve been told to only select this if my tv has issues displaying hdr,etc which mine does not.
I’m new to this and want to always be receiving the best picture. Anyone out there that help?
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

Indeed, and it's worse than that actually because although I mentioned YouTube, I forgot to mention that I am being used as a weapon in the feud between Google and Amazon. Along with and all other owners of the Amazon Fire family products.

Google have removed the YouTube app from the platform, like a petulant child. The YouTube website running inside a browser inside the FireTV is not as good, it's a lot worse.

The whole sorry tale here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42511363 and you'll see from the date that it's dragged on for 6 months now.

Yeah, talking of Google. They have a new streaming set top box in development, don't they?

Oh dammit - now I've mentioned them in the thread. Lolz.