Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-06-2018 04:45 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

I'm using the Roku SS+ and I think I'm not impressed so far concerning the actual game footage. Watched 5 games so far and the only one that looked sharp was the England game.  I've loaded a closely taken photo of a player and you can see all those artifacts surrounding him, looking like steam or an 80s pop video. Is anybody getting better than this? ps, I have a stady 48-55 mbps wifi.image1.jpeg

I'm using the Roku and every match I've  watched has been stellar. It looks like a bandwidth issue. Try running stats for nerds in the Rokus YouTube app.  This will give you a good idea of its performance. For me it maintains about 40 - 45 Mbps. 

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@ne_on@stevej190@blenky... Yes I've got auto-adjust display refresh rate enabled. Will try next game switching HDMI (at present it's in HDMI og One connect mini.

I'll have a look at the nerds info of you tube, haven't used the YT app on the roku, that should give an indication.

Many thanks.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@blenky... Thank you! Did the YT nerds bit and max I'm getting is 11mbps!!! The same bit of film on TV YT app is getting 38mbps. The ookla speed test on my laptop says 48mbps.

Any idea how I can boost the Roku? (I wish it was able to be hardwired to the router.) It's less than 1 metre away from the router with no obsticles. Shall I send it back?

0 Likes
Blacko
Apprentice
Options

In respect of Roku streamer+ with my 65ks9500 which I got for the football 3 days ago I have to say I am most disappointed and much prefer watching it in hd. I had pretty much decided I would upgrade to sky q when they start HDR.

Not so sure now !

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Can you try changing your wireless channel?

Can't believe anyone thinks the HD picture looks better than the BBC HDR trial. Really can't believe that at all.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@ne_on@stevej190@blenky... Yes I've got auto-adjust display refresh rate enabled. Will try next game switching HDMI (at present it's in HDMI og One connect mini.

I'll have a look at the nerds info of you tube, haven't used the YT app on the roku, that should give an indication.

Many thanks.

I've been asking on Roku forum for something which reads out bitrates and resolutions cos finding a video on You Tube with a decent bit rate and reading the stats for nerds is a PITA.  Do have a favourite one to use?

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options
@crashcrisis. Yep give it a try. Btw I don’t mean physically switching. Just selecting a different hdmi with your remote and then switching back.
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Can you try changing your wireless channel?

You beauty! just changed from the 5K to the (what I thought was the bog standard) 2k channel and the same YT clip is showing nerd stats as just under 39mbps. Still not good enough, but a hell of a lot better. will see how it looks on the next game.

Many thanks to all who've helped.

EDIT. watching the URU vs SAU match and it's soooo much better. Phew!

Thanks again

0 Likes
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

@Blacko wrote:

In respect of Roku streamer+ with my 65ks9500 which I got for the football 3 days ago I have to say I am most disappointed and much prefer watching it in hd. I had pretty much decided I would upgrade to sky q when they start HDR.

Not so sure now !

Something wrong with your setup, in that case.  The UHD stream blows the HD ones out of the water (when it's playing ball, that is)

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Moily wrote:

@Blacko wrote:

Not so sure now !

Something wrong with your setup, in that case.  The UHD stream blows the HD ones out of the water (when it's playing ball, that is)

Have to agree. On my KS8000 the Roku is superb.  PQ is fantastic. Makes HD look like SD.  What are your settings for the Roku?

0 Likes