Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 20-06-2018 10:50 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

I have the V6 box (2 actually) and don't ever see me switching from Virgin media (keep that a secret, don't tell them). 200 meg internet. The footy deosn't bother me but anything to do with nature in the future might tempt me into a Fury Intergral - if someone can confirm it works well.......

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

@edindundee wrote:

I have the V6 box (2 actually) and don't ever see me switching from Virgin media (keep that a secret, don't tell them). 200 meg internet. The footy deosn't bother me but anything to do with nature in the future might tempt me into a Fury Intergral - if someone can confirm it works well.......

Probably best to wait a while, Samsung may, unlikely I know, fix the EDID yet so you won't need the Fury. At the moment, other than the world cup there is next to no content either (in HLG). I would imagine any nature programmes would use other HDR flavours but then we don't really know that yet either. Sky will be added to this later this year but details haven't been announced. And so we wait............

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@edindundee wrote:

I understand that peeps in Italy are using the HD Fury to get the SKY Italia broadcasts in HDR / HLG.   It could be that when Sky here launches its HDR broadcasts,  it will be the same and if Samsung don't fix the EDID Bug,  we will need a Fury.   There will be all he**  on if we can't get the HDR / HLG  as there will be thousands of people affected - watch this thread spiral out of control 😏😏😏

0 Likes
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Do we know if via the HD Fury that the colourspace is correct with SKY Q in Italy ?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@stevej190 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@stevej190 wrote:

@edindundee wrote:

Thanks Steve, yes that's it. I'm not too bothered about the footie so can wait a bit, and wondered if the Fury will be more future proof than the Roku SS+. So it doesn't stream, it's just a box of tricks that (amongst perhaps other things) can fool a transmitting device into thinking it's sending to an HLG enabled telly?

Has anyone watched the football on a KS with the Fury Integral? 

Well you still need an external device to access iplayer so I think the Roku is the only one at the moment, fairly sure the virgin box doesn't have the iplayer hlg flavour as yet. 

The Virgin V6 box is part of the trial and sending HLG HDR. 

Ah OK, didn't realise that. I haven't seen any reports from anyone on here reporting how its performing.

There is discussion over on the VM forum. It's not going very well. A lot of buffering and sound drop outs. 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

Do we know if via the HD Fury that the colourspace is correct with SKY Q in Italy ?

@tarbat  on here is the dogs b******s on the HD Fury, I'm sure he can say more - seems the colour spacing may be caused by Samsung - switching HDMI ports can correct it and adjusting the Picture settings helps - I'm what hing on a Roku + and  a 65" KS9500 and don't see too many issues so far - certainly the pictures of the Footy are awesome, better than Sky's  non-HDR offerings

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

We are in a privileged position being a small number of users enjoying the BBC testing the full capabilities of their HLG stream.  When and if it goes 'public' will they put the breaks on the quality? For the trial you need a 40 Mbps connection. How feasible is that to roll out?  Also to keep it at this they are only offering stereo sound. Will they add compression to allow UHD but at decreased quality. 

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I'm using the Roku SS+ and I think I'm not impressed so far concerning the actual game footage. Watched 5 games so far and the only one that looked sharp was the England game.  I've loaded a closely taken photo of a player and you can see all those artifacts surrounding him, looking like steam or an 80s pop video. Is anybody getting better than this? ps, I have a stady 48-55 mbps wifi.image1.jpeg

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

That picture is terrible. I've been very impressed so far with all games I've watched on the Roku.

Have you enabled auto frame rate adjust?

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Mate when your watching a game. Switch to another device with your remote such as a your satellite box. Then switch back. It seems to fix a lot for some reason. Weird.

That’s what I do and then I’m happy with the picture. Does anyone know why this is? Pretty annoying that it doesn’t just work.

0 Likes