Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-06-2018 10:44 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote: 
So, by setting 4:2:2 perhaps you are forcing it to use the 12bit mode. And, perhaps the Samsung behaves differently when it sees this mode. Perhaps the bug only applies to the 10bit modes, for whatever reason.

I suspect it’s the act of changing the chroma setting that “fixes” the under-saturation problem, rather than the 4:2:2 setting itself.  I’ve only ever used 4:2:0 from the Roku, and most times the correct colour space has been used. Maybe changing the chroma setting forces the TV to re-detect what colour space to use.

Whatever it is, it’s now obvious the the wrong EDID is the least of the problems on these TVs!

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Atlanticism wrote:

The flickering during tonight's game was only a BBC issue as it wasn't visible on the Dutch or Belgian feeds... It was however very noticeable.

The washed out color HDR issue seems more Samsung as it is consistently bad across countries and different feeds on these models.

All I can say watching via Roku+, what flickering and what washed out colours?  Not seen any of that TBH.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Atlanticism wrote:

The flickering during tonight's game was only a BBC issue as it wasn't visible on the Dutch or Belgian feeds... It was however very noticeable.

The washed out color issue seems more Samsung as it is consistently bad across countries and different feeds on these models.

No, it's been noticed by UHD broadcast professionals watching on non-Samsung kit. Suggested to be a breakdown in the HDR conversion chain.

No flickering problem for me on the PS4 app, or on the BBC HD feed on Sky Q.

I'd add the studio segments looked noticably higher in quality to the game itself.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@ne_on wrote:

So the suggestion from turbat is to set the colour space to auto am I right in order to force the colour space to rec2020. Am I correct?

No, set colour space to CUSTOM and use the default colour settings. I’m not guaranteeing this will work, but it’s worth a try if you find the colour are under-saturated.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@mrtickle wrote: 
So, by setting 4:2:2 perhaps you are forcing it to use the 12bit mode. And, perhaps the Samsung behaves differently when it sees this mode. Perhaps the bug only applies to the 10bit modes, for whatever reason.

I suspect it’s the act of changing the chroma setting that “fixes” the under-saturation problem, rather than the 4:2:2 setting itself.  I’ve only ever used 4:2:0 from the Roku, and most times the correct colour space has been used. Maybe changing the chroma setting forces the TV to re-detect what colour space to use.

Whatever it is, it’s now obvious the the wrong EDID is the least of the problems on these TVs!

So it would seem. Hmm, seems that I'm missing my promised SmartThings dongle...

0 Likes
Atlanticism
First Poster
Options

There was dlicmerkng on the BBC one HD boradcast on satellite. I've seen it. It wasn't there on other feeds.  

The washed out color is an issue in more countries. Would be interesting if that doesn't have anything to do with Samsung but with the broadcast itself from Russia.

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

I’m still confused. Tarbat you suggested to use the Custom colour space. But you also mentioned the Auto colour space forcing the big triangle. Isn’t this what we want?

Also Mr Tickle you said that using 4.2.2 forces 12 bit. Is this a good thing for the ks7000 or is it best to stick to 4.2.0?

I’m not that knowledgable on these things. There probably aren’t any definitive answers . But what would everyone say is the most accurate that everyone can agree on?

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Atlanticism wrote:

There was flickering on the BBC one HD boradcast on satellite. I've seen it. It wasn't there on other feeds.  

The washed out color is an issue in more countries. Would be interesting if that doesn't have anything to do with Samsung but with the broadcast itself from Russia.

I agree. The flickering I observed was only when they showed slow-mo replay shots of significant moments. The Studio segments look terrific. The match segments tend to vary but mostly look great. Colours look fine to me but I'm watching on a JS set so no HLG for me. This is a trial and it's filmed by Fifa (or whoever) and distributed to the world. Once the BBC use their own 4k camermen and broadcast Strictly Come Dancing/ Wimbledon/ Glastonbury, etc, It'll all look fantastic.

0 Likes
ne_on
Pioneer
Options

Anyone else having overheating issues?

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@ne_on wrote:

Anyone else having overheating issues?

In what respect? It does feel warm to the touch but otherwise working ok.

0 Likes