Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-06-2018 08:58 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

I agree it looks great running on the Roku SS+ on my 49” KS7000. I’ve left backlight on 20 and it doesn’t look too bright even in a dark room, dynamic contrast is off for all my HDR settings.

Just flicked between this and regular BBC One HD and it’s a huge improvement, even on my 25mb connection.

Did same.  BBC HD looked like SD in comparison.  

chopples123
Voyager
Options

thats good mate but noone on AV has complained of this issue during the second half so maybe BBC resolved it?

important thing is its working

cheers

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

Only issue I'm having with the Roku is that every few minutes the screen goes black for a few seconds - just picture not the sound.  Not sure if its the Roku or my AV amp.  At half time will attach to OCB.

Some people have been reporting this happening on AVforums mate with various TV's so I dont think it is the roku

cheers

This is a HDMI HDCP handshake problem. Try a different port or reseating the connection.

Commonly known as the PS4 screen blanking issue. Although I've had it a couple of times on my Sky Q Minibox.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

Only issue I'm having with the Roku is that every few minutes the screen goes black for a few seconds - just picture not the sound.  Not sure if its the Roku or my AV amp.  At half time will attach to OCB.

Some people have been reporting this happening on AVforums mate with various TV's so I dont think it is the roku

cheers

This is a HDMI HDCP handshake problem. Try a different port or reseating the connection.

it was including the TV's using the onboard app mate, such as the  LG oleds, was deffo a BBC issue

cheers

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

What a game of football, it was a privilege watching that in UHD HDR/HLG

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

cheers

it was including the TV's using the onboard app mate, such as the  LG oleds, was deffo a BBC issue

cheers

It happened when connected to my amp but not when connected to the OCB.  After the match I put it back in a different HDMI port and it started again in the iPlayer app on non UHD material.  I reckon the Roku+ iPlayer app doesn't get on with my amp.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

cheers

cheers

It happened when connected to my amp but not when connected to the OCB.  After the match I put it back in a different HDMI port and it started again in the iPlayer app on non UHD material.  I reckon the Roku+ iPlayer app doesn't get on with my amp.

Yep, probably the HDCP issue.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Well I've just tuned in to watch the Peru vs Denmark game.   BBC seem to be excelling,  I've had to turn my colour down - back to 50, after turning it up to 70 yesterday.   The Reds were just too vivid!  And the reds,  I'll acknowledge, are redder than yesterday.   In fact no apparent issues on over exposed areas,  just an even better PQ IMHO.   Anyone else noticed a difference?  (playing on a KS9500 with a Roku +)

dunwell
Voyager
Options

The picture for Peru v Denmark is stunning. No issues with reds at all. I think the ambient light in the ground is probably helping too. 

rozel
Voyager
Options
Yes I think so too - awesome. Do you think the BBC have tweaked things a wee bit?
0 Likes