Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-06-2018 07:58 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

So, in summary. If you adjust the backlight down to something like 10 (or whatever you use for SDR viewing), then you’ll get a better picture, in 4K, with a wider colour gamut, but unfortunately without the higher dynamic range. And also about 75 seconds behind the live BBC1 channel.

Mkae sure dynamic contrats is off.  To me its not too bright.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote: 
Totally agree.  Portugals red kit look fine.  Ok the colour space may be off but it still looks great.

The colour space looks okay, it’s the gamma curve that’s off.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

So, in summary. If you adjust the backlight down to something like 10 (or whatever you use for SDR viewing), then you’ll get a better picture, in 4K, with a wider colour gamut, but unfortunately without the higher dynamic range. And also about 75 seconds behind the live BBC1 channel.

Please don't speak for everyone - turning the back light down,  reduces the quality here,  significantly.   In fact I'd say the PQ so far tonight is better even than this afternoon.

0 Likes
GoonerByron
Apprentice
Options

So can I confirm 4K HDR is working fine for iPlayer through this Roku stick?

Not ideal to have to go and spend £60 on another device but better than having to go and shell out for a new TV I suppose.

Certainly won’t be going Samsung again when it comes time to upgrade. Between this and the issue with switching between HDR and non HDR content in Game Mode their support/customer service has been an absolute scandal for £1000+ models of TV!

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

I agree it looks great running on the Roku SS+ on my 49” KS7000. I’ve left backlight on 20 and it doesn’t look too bright even in a dark room, dynamic contrast is off for all my HDR settings.

Just flicked between this and regular BBC One HD and it’s a huge improvement, even on my 25mb connection.

0 Likes
Fez15
Journeyman
Options

Changing colour to warm 1 looks better

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Only issue I'm having with the Roku is that every few minutes the screen goes black for a few seconds - just picture not the sound.  Not sure if its the Roku or my AV amp.  At half time will attach to OCB.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

Only issue I'm having with the Roku is that every few minutes the screen goes black for a few seconds - just picture not the sound.  Not sure if its the Roku or my AV amp.  At half time will attach to OCB.

Some people have been reporting this happening on AVforums mate with various TV's so I dont think it is the roku

cheers

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Quality Roku,  quality KS9500 65" and ohh,  quality football 😏

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

Some people have been reporting this happening on AVforums mate with various TV's so I dont think it is the roku

cheers

Mmm moved to OCB and no black sceens.

0 Likes