Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-06-2018 02:43 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options

There is a lot of orange about but players shirts are red - seats are orange

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

its probably the exposure on your camera mate, I meant the red under egypt on the score banner and also the banner at the bottom

cheers

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Sticking my neck out now,  I'd say better than Sky UHD - woohaaaa what a save :smiling-face: ! 😏😏😏

rozel
Voyager
Options

20180615_144546.jpg

Can't see any issue - colours look superb IMHO  The overall PQ is better than Sky's!  Goooooooooooooal lol

rozel
Voyager
Options

To be honest the KS did good  (with help from the Roku)  😏😏😏

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

20180615_141841.jpg

20180615_141807.jpg

Some
 live pics

As much as I'm jumping for joy at our little stunner of a set - we knew she was capable - those Reds do look washed out - they were a vivid deep Red on the LG I was watching it on.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

As much as I'm jumping for joy at our little stunner of a set - we knew she was capable - those Reds do look washed out - they were a vivid deep Red on the LG I was watching it on.

Yes, that's because of the wrong HLG gamma curve. To remove the washed-out look you need to reduce the backlight to about 10 to match the equivalent SDR picture.  Remember, HLG should only be noticable on the bright highlights in the image, the main picture from 0% to about 70% luminance should look identical to an SDR image (aside from the WCG).

On my MU6400 TV iPlayer app, both the colour saturation and luminance are correct, with a 20 backlight on HLG corresponding very closely to a 12 backlight on SDR.  I've also discovered that the TV's internal media player uses the wrong colour space for HLG 😞

rozel
Voyager
Options

Guys,  if you are referring to the banner at the bottom of the screen,  it wasn't red it was more of a rusty red.   Not sure you'd call it washed out.   Reds that were supposed to be red were definately red :smiling-face:    To be honest too many variables in here.  We were reviewing the football via BBC iplayer via the Roku + on either a JS or  KS TV,  not an LG.   To me the washed out effect,  if that's what you want to call it comes in on over exposed areas only - maybe HLG cannot compensate for these yet,  I did hear something on this but forget where.  I'm not turning down the back light,  just turning up the colour a wee bit.

But, and I will acknowledge this if true,  are you saying the LG definately doesn't display over exposed areas on the screen at all?  - case in point was the interview at the very end of the match in the stadium after the spectators had gone.  This seemed over exposed on my KS9500.   Otherwise,  I say again,  that the PQ was superior to UHD on Sky and I watch a lot of  footy.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

Guys,  if you are referring to the banner at the bottom of the screen,  it wasn't red it was more of a rusty red.   Not sure you'd call it washed out.   Reds that were supposed to be red were definately red :smiling-face:    To be honest too many variables in here.  We were reviewing the football via BBC iplayer via the Roku + on either a JS or  KS TV,  not an LG.   To me the washed out effect,  if that's what you want to call it comes in on over exposed areas only - maybe HLG cannot compensate for these yet,  I did hear something on this but forget where.  I'm not turning down the back light,  just turning up the colour a wee bit.

But, and I will acknowledge this if true,  are you saying the LG definately doesn't display over exposed areas on the screen at all?  - case in point was the interview at the very end of the match in the stadium after the spectators had gone.  This seemed over exposed on my KS9500.   Otherwise,  I say again,  that the PQ was superior to UHD on Sky and I watch a lot of  footy.

I'm talking about the UI graphics, they were a deep deep red. I mean, yes, compensate for the camera, conditions, etc.

How did the studio sections look? Could you see the detail on the presenter faces?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

for me when watching the test football loop on both the V6 (SDR UHD) and the Roku (HLG/HDR UHD) what I did notice that areas that we over exposed happened on both. The main difference in HLG was the colour was more vibrant. 

0 Likes