Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-06-2018 08:05 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Just over a week ago on page 337 of this thread AntS wrote -

“2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial & from USB, not any other source. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.”

was the response I received when I asked the engineers about EDID and other ways of delivering HLG on a KS Series TV. I’d be very much inclined to interpret the above as no action will be forthcoming for enabling further means of HLG support on KS Series TV's."

Meanwhile 10 hours ago today @Stormed...reported this message from Sansung- "Upon checking, your TV supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) from 4K contents via external devices connected through HDMI cable."

Which directly contradicts what @AntS wrote.

I think, however that Samsung in their statement to @Stormed wrote HDMI instead of USB. I think it was a slip of the mind and finger.

I hope I'm wrong otherwise how else can you explain such differing statements both coming from Samsung?

@Thanks for showing what @AntS actually said so @mrtickle where was the misrepresentation in what I said. 

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:
So was anyone able to watch the Russia/Nigeria game in HDR?

Yes mate it was on npo UHD 23.5e (Dutch) 4k and hlg

cheers

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:

On ITV but tomorrow its on bbc so we shall see 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:

Yes mate it was on npo UHD 23.5e (Dutch) 4k and hlg

cheers

Hi was that a free channel and what channel number.  I have a freesat box that will tune to other SATs. 

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

U need a canal digitaal card and cam, it’s is available in 4k though completely fta at 42e TRT4k

you obviously need a dish pointing the right way ofc

Cheers

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
Fair point and I apologise, but there were two parts to what AntS wrote. The first part, was his delivery of the statement from Samsung, which was "official".

The second part, was his own opinion, which is not a message from Samsung, and carries no more weight than any of us. It is that which I meant - "I’d be very much inclined to interpret the above as no action will be forthcoming...". He can be that inclined to interpret it that way, but it was a statement which details December's opening technical position, as if six months had not passed.

I was wrong to say that you misrepresented AntS. And whilst it's true that AntS said X won't happen, it's critical to unpick the Samsung statement from AntS's own personal opinion of what he thinks might happen. So it's that which I meant.

So I shall try again :smiling-face:
1. AntS relayed a message from Samsung stating what we all already know, which added precisely zero information since December.

Completely separately,
2. AntS then said that his interpretation [of the crass statement with zero new information] was that nothing will be forthcoming], which was his personal opinion, at a time when other Samsung representatives and friendly contacts have been telling us that the EDID fix is being actively worked on.

The easiest thing to do is assume it won't happen and if it does, it's a nice surprise. The only point I was trying (not very clearly) to make was this: AntS didn't give us an official announcement that nothing would happen. The bit where he said it was not an official statement.

MY interpretation of Samsung's useless statement which added zero information, on the other hand, is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:
Fair point and I apologise, but there were two parts to what AntS wrote. The first part, was his delivery of the statement from Samsung, which was "official".

The second part, was his own opinion, which is not a message from Samsung, and carries no more weight than any of us. It is that which I meant - "I’d be very much inclined to interpret the above as no action will be forthcoming...". He can be that inclined to interpret it that way, but it was a statement which details December's opening technical position, as if six months had not passed.

I was wrong to say that you misrepresented AntS. And whilst it's true that AntS said X won't happen, it's critical to unpick the Samsung statement from AntS's own personal opinion of what he thinks might happen. So it's that which I meant.

1. AntS relayed a message from Samsung stating what we all already know, which added precisely zero information since December.

Completely separately,
2. AntS then said that his interpretation [of the crass statement with zero new information] was that nothing will be forthcoming], which was his personal opinion, at a time when other Samsung representatives and friendly contacts have been telling us that the EDID fix is being actively worked on.

The easiest thing to do is assume it won't happen and if it does, it's a nice surprise. The only point I was trying (not very clearly) to make was this: AntS didn't give us an official announcement that nothing would happen. The bit where he said it was not an official statement.

MY interpretation of Samsung's useless statement which added zero information, on the other hand, is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

But @AntS did say after speaking to Samsung engineers he felt that there would be no resolution to the Hlg over HDMI. So if you can not accept what he is saying as samsungs mouth piece which he has repeatedly said he is and cannot comment apart from what he is allowed to say then what he does say one has to accept is from Samsung. 

What we should be saying here is what the hell is going on and why there is so much conflicting information! 

To tell someone Hlg over HDMI is working then it will be fixed in August , just as the world cup finishes,  so again we can not test if its working. Can we believe anything Samsung say's ???? 

rozel
Voyager
Options

Sods law my Internet has gone exceedingly slow, since moving from ISPs.  The good news is that an engineer is coming out today.  Question is, will he/she arrive before kick-off and will the problem be fixed?  Grrrrrrr  😞 😞 😞

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

Completely separately,

But @AntS did say after speaking to Samsung engineers he felt that there would be no resolution to the Hlg over HDMI. So if you can not accept what he is saying as samsungs mouth piece which he has repeatedly said he is and cannot comment apart from what he is allowed to say then what he does say one has to accept is from Samsung. 

What we should be saying here is what the hell is going on and why there is so much conflicting information! 

To tell someone Hlg over HDMI is working then it will be fixed in August , just as the world cup finishes,  so again we can not test if its working. Can we believe anything Samsung say's ???? 

I wouldn't believe anything that's said, until you've installed it on your TV and  you can see it with your own eyes. 

I know a couple of people who work for Samsung, and they seem like a real sort to work for (lots of zero hour contracts, forcing people to relocate on a whim, excessively high sales targets, etc). If they're ripe to treat their employees like dirt, they don't give a hoot about the customer.

That said, the day of reckoning has arrived for the BBC and iPlayer, we'll know in just a few short hours conclusively whether the KS has a HLG future, and on that point, May The Force Be With Us. 

Stormed
Pioneer
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

Just over a week ago on page 337 of this thread AntS wrote -

“2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial & from USB, not any other source. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.”

was the response I received when I asked the engineers about EDID and other ways of delivering HLG on a KS Series TV. I’d be very much inclined to interpret the above as no action will be forthcoming for enabling further means of HLG support on KS Series TV's."

Meanwhile 10 hours ago today @Stormed...reported this message from Sansung- "Upon checking, your TV supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) from 4K contents via external devices connected through HDMI cable."

Which directly contradicts what @AntS wrote.

I think, however that Samsung in their statement to @Stormed wrote HDMI instead of USB. I think it was a slip of the mind and finger.

I hope I'm wrong otherwise how else can you explain such differing statements both coming from Samsung?

@Thanks for showing what @AntS actually said so @mrtickle where was the misrepresentation in what I said. 

I suspect this is the case and I have replied to Samsung asking them to explain the difference between the two responses. I feel like I am wasting my time emailing Samsung as it's not going to achieve anything, I highly doubt emailing them about HLG is going to prompt any sort of action by them.