Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 14-06-2018 07:33 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Someone on the Italian forum states a source has told them end aug foe edid fix

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

Did they also commit to fixing the HLG gamma curve by the end of August as well?

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

regardless of the gamma it has got to be better than ITV's current effort, luckily there are plenty of 4k offerings via other countries on sat, including in HLG

cheers

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

regardless of the gamma it has got to be better than ITV's current effort, luckily there are plenty of 4k offerings via other countries on sat, including in HLG

cheers

If there is a fix in August then I think this thread may have done it's job for some owners. Still gutted about iplayer but if l can get it cheaply from other sources then i will have to live with that. Funny thing as to @AntS  saying it would not be able to fix Hlg over HDMI !!! Any comments ?

As to your comment about ITV yes I agree they are years behind bbc. No DD5.1 and their ITV hub is still SD.  Very poor,  and I did ask them about it and was told 'we have no plans' heard that before. 

Might be worth starting a focus group to put pressure on them? ??

0 Likes
Kallb123
Explorer
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@chopples123 wrote:

cheers

If there is a fix in August then I think this thread may have done it's job for some owners. Still gutted about iplayer but if l can get it cheaply from other sources then i will have to live with that. Funny thing as to @AntS  saying it would not be able to fix Hlg over HDMI !!! Any comments ?

As to your comment about ITV yes I agree they are years behind bbc. No DD5.1 and their ITV hub is still SD.  Very poor,  and I did ask them about it and was told 'we have no plans' heard that before. 

Might be worth starting a focus group to put pressure on them? ??

Doesn't BBC say their World Cup streams will be in stereo audio? 

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

August, eh? Sure, why not. At this point, it's far enough in the future to keep us all quiet and they can hope we've got bored and bought new sets by then.

I'll believe it only when I have the cash receipts in my grubby hands.

PS: the ITV HD sat quality on the Russia game was woeful, an engineer at work was speculating it might have been 720p/50.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

Yes, I have a comment. As I said on that day, and quoted him verbatim. I'll repeat it again.

He did not say that the edid fix will definitely not happen.

His message was to not get our hopes up.

This is not the same thing. If the fix never arrives, then it will be the same result, but the two phrases are not the same.

Think of it as the difference between these two answers when the ice-cream van chimes and a small child asks their parents for a Mr Whippy:

"NO!"

"Don't get your hopes up"

The first is an absolute; a statement without any restriction or condition.

The second is not.

He said the second. He did not say the first.

There is nothing to be gained from misrepresenting him.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Yes, I have a comment. As I said on that day, and quoted him verbatim. I'll repeat it again.

He did not say that the edid fix will definitely not happen.

His message was to not get our hopes up.

This is not the same thing. If the fix never arrives, then it will be the same result, but the two phrases are not the same.

Think of it as the difference between these two answers when the ice-cream van chimes and a small child asks their parents for a Mr Whippy:

"NO!"

"Don't get your hopes up"

The first is an absolute; a statement without any restriction or condition.

The second is not.

He said the second. He did not say the first.

There is nothing to be gained from misrepresenting him.

I am sure @AntS can answer for himself and get off you high horse!!! !!

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Just over a week ago on page 337 of this thread AntS wrote -

“2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial & from USB, not any other source. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.”

was the response I received when I asked the engineers about EDID and other ways of delivering HLG on a KS Series TV. I’d be very much inclined to interpret the above as no action will be forthcoming for enabling further means of HLG support on KS Series TV's."

Meanwhile 10 hours ago today @Stormed...reported this message from Sansung- "Upon checking, your TV supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) from 4K contents via external devices connected through HDMI cable."

Which directly contradicts what @AntS wrote.

I think, however that Samsung in their statement to @Stormed wrote HDMI instead of USB. I think it was a slip of the mind and finger.

I hope I'm wrong otherwise how else can you explain such differing statements both coming from Samsung?

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

So was anyone able to watch the Russia/Saudi Arabia game in HDR?

0 Likes