Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 14-06-2018 02:13 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Maybe the fix has been done and is ready for role out

sewarner
Pioneer
Options

@Gimpfont wrote:

Stormed - Thanks for that, a good response. Wonder if this means that our TVs are displaying HLG on the correct gamma curve.

Sewarner - Can you let me know how you are getting on with the JL refund? Did you have the smart things advertisement when you bought yours?

I’ve been passed around departments in JL and patiently waiting for a response.  The claim was submitted 10 days ago.  The Smart Things was advertised.

0 Likes
Stormed
Pioneer
Options

@Gimpfont wrote:

Stormed - Thanks for that, a good response. Wonder if this means that our TVs are displaying HLG on the correct gamma curve.

Sewarner - Can you let me know how you are getting on with the JL refund? Did you have the smart things advertisement when you bought yours?

It is a positive response although I won't get my hopes up, as it could be a misunderstanding by the customer service agent. Fingers crossed though!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Stormed wrote:

@Gimpfont wrote:

It is a positive response although I won't get my hopes up, as it could be a misunderstanding by the customer service agent. Fingers crossed though!

The last I saw on the ks refund thread was js were trying to confuse the issue by saying the dongle was an app and using their terms to say they can not be held responsible for apps, which is wrong. The dongle allows a function of the TV to control smart things,  without that dongle which was promised it can not do that. The Alternative Dispute resolution show again on ks refunds clearly states that and it may be worth mentioning that. 

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Stormed wrote:

@Gimpfont wrote:

It's 99.99% certainly that, sorry. We've been doing this for six months, remember!

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Stormed wrote:

Upon checking, your TV supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) from 4K contents via external devices connected through HDMI cable. This includes broadcast services (ensure that latest software version is installed). It is just the 4K version of BBC iPlayer that is not currently supported on your TV."

@ While that's encouraging for KS owners to read it does completely fly in the face of the "final official" statement as passed on to us here from @AntS on practically every point. I don't think whoever wrote that was being fed the right answers, but you can always hope. Only time will tell when the Sky boxes start doing their HLG thing.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@Stormed wrote:

Upon checking, your TV supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) from 4K contents via external devices connected through HDMI cable. This includes broadcast services (ensure that latest software version is installed). It is just the 4K version of BBC iPlayer that is not currently supported on your TV."

@ While that's encouraging for KS owners to read it does completely fly in the face of the "final official" statement as passed on to us here from @AntS on practically every point. I don't think whoever wrote that was being fed the right answers, but you can always hope. Only time will tell when the Sky boxes start doing their HLG thing.

If that is the case does Sky Italia nowwork on the ks? 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@Stormed wrote:

V6 boxes are doing their HLG thing now. 

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Gimpfont wrote:

This is the kind of communication other companys give their customers....

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015300

My friends update for HLG via iPlayer was delayed this week and I asked how he knew. That link gives the predicted date for the update, everything it will include AND they even admit when there has been an issue and it has been delayed.... wow.

Currently we don't even know if any other update is in the works for our TVs, let alone a date or what they will contain.

It does ask the question why sell a telly with so many faults in the first place. At least  Sony are admitting them,  unlike Samsung. 

Paul

No, it just means with everyone knows what a pig Android TV is to begin with.

And don't run away with the idea Sony is great, 2016 TV owners are in the same boat as us wrt iPlayer and HLG.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@sewarner wrote:

@Stormed wrote:

I replied to Samsung asking if the KS7000 would support HLG over HDMI whenever Sky update their Q software. I was told:

"We understand that you wanted to confirm if your TV model (UE49KS7000UXXU) supports HDR or HLG contents from external devices via HDMI cable such as Sky Q box. We'll be glad to assist you.

So, would I be correct in saying that all we will be missing is the BBC iPlayer HLG or is there something else?  I’m perusing a claim with JL for a refund and looking to go to the LG B7 but is it worth staying with the KS8000?

As of right now we are still waiting for the HDMI/EDID fix so HLG works correctly over HDMI.  If the reports about it being in the works are true and we do eventually get the fix, then yes the only thing we will be missing then is Iplayer 4K/HLG, however once HDMI HLG is working correctly there are external sollutions for 4K iplayer such as the Roku SS+, Virgin V6 box etc...

Sigh.

We would need the EDID fix AND THEN for the BBC to officially 'turn on' support in the iPlayer app - we did this eons ago.

It's a moot question anyway, the KS series WILL NEVER be able to support iPlayer through the Smart Hub. Just not gonna happen, can't happen, won't happen.

You've got more chances of:

a) Winning the Euromillions rollover Jackpot.

b) Getting struck by lighting while walking in a field on a sunny August afternoon with no clouds in the sky.

c) Getting a free ride when you've already paid.

d) Finding ten thousand spoons, when all you needed was a knife.

Than iPlayer getting support through the Smart Hub.

Seriously, we need to have it stickied somewhere.