Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 13-06-2018 03:30 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

What's love island?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Do you mean you're the one person who's not watching Love Island? LOL

Isn't that ITV2 🙂

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
Anyone with a Roku planning to watch the Friday afternoon match? I'm at work so will try for the evening.
0 Likes
Eliotrw
Explorer
Options

Yeah, gonna check out Portugal v Spain

GOt the Roku set up and tested the UHD Football loop on Iplayer, worked very well, TV recognised as HDR 4k

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:
Anyone with a Roku planning to watch the Friday afternoon match? I'm at work so will try for the evening.

Yep, will have it on at work. Hopefully in 4k.

On an LG screen.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Eliotrw wrote:

Yeah, gonna check out Portugal v Spain

GOt the Roku set up and tested the UHD Football loop on Iplayer, worked very well, TV recognised as HDR 4k

Yes I'm going to check out that one as it's on at 7pm. I meant the Egypt v Uruguay at 1pm. 

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

Got the Roku set up and tested the UHD Football loop on Iplayer, worked very well, TV recognised as HDR 4k

You do realise that there's no evidence that the TV is actually using an HLG gamma curve?  Until someone tests with an HLG and colour space=rec.2020 input to K-series TVs, the best evidence we have is my testing with HLG and colour space=rec.709, where the TV is definately NOT using an HLG gamma curve.

1.jpg

This also concurs with the viewing experience, where all that really happens is the image gets brighter.

Whereas the processing of HLG from the TV's internal apps, such as YouTube, is a correct HLG gamma curve.

2.jpg

Just warning that there's every possibility that using the Roku Stick+ will not correctly display HLG.

0 Likes
Eliotrw
Explorer
Options

Yeah I knew that, My primary concern is that its 4k for the moment

Obviously Ideally i would want HLG too (which is why I'm going through the returns process with the aim of cash their way for a B7 OLED.

The Roku is a stop gap, Albeit one i'm very happy with, I was going to resell after but i suspect it will be put in the bedroom when the LG arrives actually, as it works very well.

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

So I’ve just setup my Roku SS+ (£45 from CEX and it’s brand new, everything in the box still had the removable plastic on it) on my 49” KS7000. Following some earlier posts on here I manually set the display type to 4K HDR 60Hz, then in advanced settings I enabled the auto adjust refresh rate and set HDR subsampling to 4:2:2.

I’m watching the UHD test loop now and It all looks very good, maybe not quite the level of UHD Sky Sports but it’s not far off, TV is showing HDR and all the settings change (backlight 20 etc...).

In terms of the HDR being correct to my eyes everything looks good, The colours don’t look ‘washed out’ or over saturated and close up shots look really sharp.

If the World Cup matches are as good as this then I’ll be very impressed.

Eliotrw
Explorer
Options

I cant remember if i had to select 30hz actually... Will check when home

But equally I ditto the comments about quality